dreamwrx

Badlands
First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 WRX
The Ridgeline appears to be nixed on my list. It has the dreaded engine-auto-off cancer than cannot be cured. Although the "off" push button can be overridden by a third party "eliminator," the engineers at Honda decided to add a very bright, distracting yellow warning light on the dash anytime the auto-engine-stop is deactivated. At least Ford considered customer reactions and made the notification (if used) as a benign grey symbol on the dash, not something to be confused with a warning light that would forever be pestering the driver.
Black Electrical Tape.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Cyclone Cowboy

Cyclone Cowboy

Badlands
First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra
Black Electrical Tape.
I considered that, or maybe a laser to burn it out. You think they would have made it a "non-warning " color like gray (as Ford does) or even green. I've been following the Ridgeline discussion groups and people hate the light (and overall system) with a passion. Maybe the 2021 will be different, but I doubt it.

dreamwrx

Badlands
First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 WRX
I'm sure if you wait long enough someone.. somewhere will be able to hack into that system to turn off that warning light.

Else the long and old school way of taking apart the dash and pulling out the bulb. Though Electrical tape works well for the less motivated.

OP
OP
Cyclone Cowboy

Cyclone Cowboy

Badlands
First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra
I'm sure if you wait long enough someone.. somewhere will be able to hack into that system to turn off that warning light.

Else the long and old school way of taking apart the dash and pulling out the bulb. Though Electrical tape works well for the less motivated.
It might be a computer screen, not a mechanical unit.

Meathanky

Badlands
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Several people asked me start a thread for this topic (because it spun off other topics) so here it is.

I won't repeat everything I've already posted, but I'm building a concept vehicle for storm interception and volunteer EMS work.

I need to point out that although I'm planning on using the Bronco Sport, the final decision will only come after seeing it in person and doing an intense test drive. My biggest concern ATM is ground clearance. I would like at least 9.5 -- especially with hurricane flooding. The Badlands has 8.8" with the optional 29-inch tires. If the dealer offers a 1 inch lift kit, we will be there. My other concern is the engine start / stop feature. That would normally be a deal breaker, even though there may be a on / off switch that mnust be pushed everytime you start-up. Pain in the as_. I don't want to worry about something going wrong when I pull over then have to haul as_ when a twister is heading my way. I won't detail the potential issues of an auto shut off engine while chasing, but they do exist. Fortunately, I have found a company that sells a device to circumvent the "on/off" issue. The other looming issue is the price of gas over the next 4+ years. Depending on the outcome of the election, I may bail out for a Hybrid vehicle, although good 4x4 Hybrids are limited and the good ones like the Ford Explorer are way beyond my volunteer budget. I (we) drive over 20k miles per year chasing and $6.00+ gallon gas (expected cost w/ green taxes) would blow our budget in a few days. This is NOT a political statement as saving the planet is great, but reality is reality and I'm on a budget.

I will post a complete update next week.
I have the engine start stop feature in my 2019 escape and and I don't even notice turning it off any more as its become muscle memory. A quick push of a button somewhere between the push start and putting it in reverse to back out. You may think it will be an inconvenience now but really it becomes so insignificant you will forget its even there

Ponds

First Edition
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
@Cyclone Cowboy, did you test drive a Ford with auto stop-start tech with a 2.0L engine? Ford’s implementation is different from some of the other manufacturers.

OP
OP
Cyclone Cowboy

Cyclone Cowboy

Badlands
First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra
Have not driven a Ford with the auto (idle) stop technology.

Here are issues with the system.

1: Although slight, there is always the possibility the vehicle will not restart. There have been serious and fatal accidents where auto-stop technology was the cause. Either the vehicle did not start, leaving someone in a busy intersection, or, the vehicle hesitated and was struck, like during a right or left turn in heavy traffic. I think we have all been behind vehicles with this feature, and seen the driver start to pull out, only to hesitate and stop before turning, because they were unsure if the vehicle would move. In storm chasing, we have a rock solid rule, when stopping near a storm (like a violent tornado), we NEVER turn off the engine.

2: The technology is not all that effective for some driving types. For someone who drives in stop and go traffic, it will save fuel. In fact, research has shown the system uses more fuel (for the restart) if the vehicle stops for less than 7 seconds. It's a gimmick to please the EPA. Bad driving habits and poorly-timed traffic lights waste 100x more fuel. For someone like me, who will be using the vehicle mostly for chasing, it has no advantage. Therefore, unless I can totally disable it, without a big bright warning lamp, I won't buy the vehicle. (The Honda Ridgeline does this, not Ford as far as I know).

3: We use multiple electronic devices wired to both ignition and battery sources. If the power is cut off to these devices (like a 2-way radio) it could cause a malfunction and we could lose communications or need to reset frequencies. (it could also damage the radios). Again, a serious threat to personal safety. Remote cameras, paging alarms and emergency lights are also wired into the system. I'm not 100% percent sure how difficult it will be to wire these devices into a vehicle with this irritating system.

4: Despite what engineers say, the auto-stop system is very hard on engines and other components, even those with beefed-up parts like starters and batteries. This longevity factor plays into reliability and the danger of issues in dangerous situations.

5: I'm not going to push (or remember to push) a button every time I start the engine. Fortunately, Auto Stop Eliminator makes a device to override most Fords. It has not been confirmed yet if it works with the BS. If not, I'm passing on it.

Search out any "auto-stop" discussion with various auto-makers and you will see the disgust with the system. There are rumors it will be mandatory in the next few years with no "off" button. Scary.

Last edited:

Ponds

First Edition
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Have not driven a Ford with the auto (idle) stop technology.

Here are issues with the system.

1: Although slight, there is always the possibility the vehicle will not restart. There have been serious and fatal accidents where auto-stop technology was the cause. Either the vehicle did not start, leaving someone in a busy intersection, or, the vehicle hesitated and was struck, like during a right or left turn in heavy traffic. I think we have all been behind vehicles with this feature, and seen the driver start to pull out, only to hesitate and stop before turning, because they were unsure if the vehicle would move. In storm chasing, we have a rock solid rule, when stopping near a storm (like a violent tornado), we NEVER turn off the engine.

2: The technology is not all that effective for some driving types. For someone who drives in stop and go traffic, it will save fuel. In fact, research has shown the system uses more fuel (for the restart) if the vehicle stops for less than 7 seconds. It's a gimmick to please the EPA. Bad driving habits and poorly-timed traffic lights waste 100x more fuel. For someone like me, who will be using the vehicle mostly for chasing, it has no advantage. Therefore, unless I can totally disable it, with a big bright warning lamp, I won't buy the vehicle. (The Honda Ridgeline does this, not Ford as far as I know).

3: We use multiple electronic devices wired to both ignition and battery sources. If the power is cut off to these devices (like a 2-way radio) it could cause a malfunction and we could lose communications or need to reset frequencies. (it could also damage the readios). Again, a serious threat to personal safety. Remote cameras, paging alarms and emergency lights are also wired into the system. I'm not 100% percent sure how difficult it will be to wire these devices into a vehicle with this irritating system.

4: Despite what engineers say, the auto-stop system is very hard on engines and other components, even those with beefed-up parts like starters and batteries. This longevity factor plays into reliability and the danger of issues in dangerous situations.

5: I'm not going to push (or remember to push) a button every time I start the engine. Fortunately, Auto Stop Eliminator makes a device to override most Fords. It has not been confirmed yet if it works with the BS. If not, I'm passing on it.

Search out any "auto-stop" discussion with various auto-makers and you will see the disgust with the system. There are rumors it will be mandatory with no "off" button. Scary.
Thanks, you answered my question. I didn’t think about the electronics load. Auto stop-start was introduced to the Escape for the 2.0L engine in 2017. It was my greatest concern when I looked at the new 2017 Escape. Read up on it and saw the complaints and issues. However, after test driving I decided to give it a shot and found that Ford did a pretty good job. 76,000 miles later I don’t even notice it and the issues pointed out never came to be... but that’s just me. Others may have a different opinion. I operated emergency vehicles for over 30 years and I can’t honestly say that I’d want it in that environment. Moreover, I don’t know how it would affect electronics. Everything I drove had heavy duty alternators to handle the extra load. AND auto start-stop didn’t exist.

I suspect, but can’t confirm that your electrical load would probably prevent it from kicking in. You might want to check with the Ford team that designed the Filson Firecrew rig For the big boy Bronco. It would have similar electrical requirements and they could possibly provide insights or suggestions for the Bronco Sport.

OP
OP
Cyclone Cowboy

Cyclone Cowboy

Badlands
First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra
Thanks, you answered my question. I didn’t think about the electronics load. Auto stop-start was introduced to the Escape for the 2.0L engine in 2017. It was my greatest concern when I looked at the new 2017 Escape. Read up on it and saw the complaints and issues. However, after test driving I decided to give it a shot and found that Ford did a pretty good job. 76,000 miles later I don’t even notice it and the issues pointed out never came to be... but that’s just me. Others may have a different opinion. I operated emergency vehicles for over 30 years and I can’t honestly say that I’d want it in that environment. Moreover, I don’t know how it would affect electronics. Everything I drove had heavy duty alternators to handle the extra load. AND auto start-stop didn’t exist.

I suspect, but can’t confirm that your electrical load would probably prevent it from kicking in. You might want to check with the Ford team that designed the Filson Firecrew rig For the big boy Bronco. It would have similar electrical requirements and they could possibly provide insights or suggestions for the Bronco Sport.
Trying to get hold of Ford is like trying to get in touch with the Pope. I'm sure commercial vehicles, like the Ford Explorer Police Interceptor, do not have the feature.

The Frontier will be my go to vehicle if the BS auto-start cannot be defeated. So far, the 2020 Frontier does not have the system, but I'm not sure about 2021.

There are a lot of people who don't mind the auto-stop and that is great, but dictating it for everyone is, well, a sign of things to come I am afraid.

DakotaTimber

Badlands
First Name
DakotaTimber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL + BL, 360+, tow +
Keep doing what you are doing. It's important and Thank You!

Now for the tongue in cheek...I have a bunch of my retirement indirectly in oil. As long as I have that, I wouldn't expect to even see $3.50 a gallon for 91 gas. There is just too big a supply out there and OPEC (it's replacement actually) wants to see the price right where Shale and Oil Sands are not profitable. That's about $3.50 a gallon for 91 gas.

OP
OP
Cyclone Cowboy

Cyclone Cowboy

Badlands
First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra
Keep doing what you are doing. It's important and Thank You!

Now for the tongue in cheek...I have a bunch of my retirement indirectly in oil. As long as I have that, I wouldn't expect to even see $3.50 a gallon for 91 gas. There is just too big a supply out there and OPEC (it's replacement actually) wants to see the price right where Shale and Oil Sands are not profitable. That's about $3.50 a gallon for 91 gas.
I've given up on worrying about gas prices. With the CVOID recovery over the next 2-3+ years, raising gas prices would destroy the economy, and truckers have promised to "shut down the economy" by going on strike and blocking highways, like they did in Paris. Having said that, it's great we are slowly moving to hybrid and electric vehicles. I'm assuming that within 4-5 years, there will be reliable 4x4 electric vehicles that are not 100k, have 600 miles (genuine) ranges and can be charged quicker, e.g., the new "fuel cells."

OP
OP
Cyclone Cowboy

Cyclone Cowboy

Badlands
First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra
Chase build update. So I was able to look over a Ford Bronco Sport today. Although it's a fantastic vehicle, inside and out, it's just too small for our purposes. Between two individual's luggage, medical bags and camera gear, there is not enough room. This was apparent when I opened the back. The vehicle is wide and tall, but the length is a factor -- as others have noted.

The good news is that I drove a Ford Ranger today and loved it. With the new Tremor build coming out early next year; on a higher-ended Lariat model, it may fit the bill, as we can always add a rear cap or lock box. The Explorer Timberline is still an option, but there is no word when it will be released. Either way, Ford gets my mula.

Bdub

First Edition
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
It looks just like........an Explorer.
Sponsored