Steeda Rear Sway Bar install

gatornek

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport; 2016 Mustang 2.3
Coming from a Mustang, that was dropped an inch, had a nice front camber, and used to take a 90 degree corner at 30mph like it was on rails, I REALLY FEEL the undertsteer on the Bronco. I'm also a fairly big fan of Steeda. I had their springs, and a bunch of their subframe stiffening bits on my Mustang, and I was always impressed. The Mustang handles beautifully.

So Steeda does manufacturer a rear sway bar for our chassis, including the Escape and Maverick.

Steeda 555-1031 Bronco Sport/Escape/Maverick AWD Rear Sway Bar (20-22)

I've done sway bars before. They are usually not that big a deal to install. Properly tuning the suspension is a different story. But anyway, I noticed in one of the install videos, they mention that depending on the vehicle, we might have to disengage the drive shaft to the rear axle in order to get the old one out and the new one in.

Does anyone have a good pic of the Bronco Sport rear undercarriage? Or can anyone confidently answer if the shaft would need to be disengaged.
Sponsored

MAGPLM

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands & 2023 Maverick AWD FX4
I did not disengage the drive shaft to take out or install new sway bar. It does take some wiggling and moving around though to get out and in.

MAGPLM

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Putting in my Maverick one this weekend also. LoL

OP
OP
gatornek

gatornek

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did not disengage the drive shaft to take out or install new sway bar. It does take some wiggling and moving around though to get out and in.
Fantastic! Thank you!! How did it help with cornering?

MAGPLM

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rear end stiffer and less body sway. Handles better all around.

cprcubed

Big Bend
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cyber Orange BS BB, 1997 Ford F250 HD 7.3 PSD
Probably a nice change if all your driving is on surface streets. Stiffer antisway bars are generally not good for off roading (less wheel travel unless they can be disconnected). Cheers!

OP
OP
gatornek

gatornek

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Probably a nice change if all your driving is on surface streets. Stiffer antisway bars are generally not good for off roading (less wheel travel unless they can be disconnected). Cheers!
That's some food for thought. Most certainly 90% of the driving I will be doing in this car will be on paved roads (if not more). However, I did get it for its off-road capability and have already gone on a couple of treks! So I'm enjoying this aspect and hoping to do it more. It was completely unavailable to me in the Mustang.

I definitely would not want to mess with its "off road capability", but the difference in handling has definitely taken some getting used to. Maybe I just gotta understand that I'm driving a truck and not a coupe.:D

Mrmike

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 OBX, '20 Ecosport, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i
I'm curious about this also. I already installed a Steeda strut tower brace on my '23 OBX. I just found out they make a rear sway bar for the BS. Is there currently a factory bar on the vehicle? Is the Steeda advantage because it's heavier and adjustable, or just because the BS does not have one from the factory? I don't off-road but would appreciate a better handling and cornering everyday driver.

OP
OP
gatornek

gatornek

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm curious about this also. I already installed a Steeda strut tower brace on my '23 OBX. I just found out they make a rear sway bar for the BS. Is there currently a factory bar on the vehicle? Is the Steeda advantage because it's heavier and adjustable, or just because the BS does not have one from the factory? I don't off-road but would appreciate a better handling and cornering everyday driver.
The only real information I can find on it is from STeeda's infomercial on it. I can take that with a grain of salt. I can't sseem to find info on the diamter of our rear sway bar so I could see what kind of increase it would be. If its a 2mm increase, that's a fairly big deal, because even the bar that they use is of a better quality build (they elabortate on the materials in the part page). But alot of extra stabilization must also come from the adjustable hookup points.

I think the propensity to understeer the BS has gotten better for me, coming from my lowered Mustang to this. But its still there. It's a part I'm looking at. But not even being 2K to the odometer yet, I'm making sure I don't have any bad CV joints, or faulty bearings or even brakes before I start making a change in the suspension. Still worried about warranty items.

FWIW, Steeda has it on sale I think thru today for 4th of July. Its down from $250 to $200. I thought about buying it all weekend long and just storing it in my garage till I'm ready! 😅
Sponsored