The_Jimmer

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
This may be an unpopular position but I am very happy with the stereo in my BS. Decent base, lots of top end and the mids are decent. Better than many other factory systems I’ve experienced.
I agree, and as I've commented before, I use Amazon Music. You can select the play quality in the app to be in high definition which makes a significant change in listening quality.
Sponsored

Gents

Heritage
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport Heritage Edition Cactus Grey
I absolutely agree. It depends on how and what you listen to. I listen to spoken word myself. I've had my ears blown out by Black Sabbath and The Who in the 70s and eighties, but I enjoy fine stereo for whatever music I'm listening to these days and for a couple of hundred dollars, there are great 2 ohm replacements for these 50 Cent drivers that Ford put in the front and back doors. Jazz and or acoustic music has a completely different emotional impact when the sound is good. For a couple hundred dollars, I want it.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
You are assuming that a vehicle would be available to test. In the first 2+ years of BS sales, for multiple reasons, most people did not have the option to "test" a vehicle before ordering.
Then if you buy without first checking out if the vehicle meets your expectations, then "buyer beware".

Buying a vehicle after you test out all its features, then complain about one or more???

I don't get it.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
Then if you buy without first checking out if the vehicle meets your expectations, then "buyer beware".

Buying a vehicle after you test out all its features, then complain about one or more???

I don't get it.
Apparently empathy is not in your repertoire.

Gents

Heritage
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Ford B&O system is the absolute worst "premium" audio system I've ever heard in any car I've ever owned, driven, been in, rented, etc. It's laughably terrible (in a relative way) and I am nowhere near an audiophile. I have no audio equipment at home or anything like that.

It's not that I think the B&O system sounds bad, necessarily. It sounds about the same as the standard audio you'd have found in a brand new 2002 Honda Accord LX. But for the "premium" upgraded audio, it's just, well .... not. In no way does it offer any audio that's better than any base model vehicle on the market today.

My 2019 F-350 had to go in for warranty work in late 2019 and they gave me a base F-150 as a loaner. It had cloth seats and base stereo system. It could have been the acoustically better cloth seats (as opposed to the more reflective leather in my truck), but the base stereo sounded better to my ear than my truck's B&O.

So, it wouldn't surprise me at all if that were the case here ... where the base audio of BS is about the same quality to the average listener as the B&O. The cheapest and easiest way to smooth over cheap speakers and amplification is to add some bass (and I'm not talking about teenager-ish thumping bass ... just a nice musical bass). But the BS doesn't even do that with its anemic 6x9" woofer.
You hit the nail on the head with this post.
I stepped out of a Jeep that had a fake Beats sound system on the horrible UConnect system and while it really wasn't all that good, it absolutely smoked what I have in my BS. I'm working on making the necessary changes now.
There are a couple of threads on the forum that address the scammery involved in this fake B&O sound system as well as the cheesy stock system. The 'B&O' speaker drivers, at some point not too long ago, were discovered to be absolutely the same as the standard base stereo in some cases. I'm not sure if and how that changed. In any event, those fake B&O drivers ('fake' because Ford only licensed the logo. Nothing there is manufactured or even designed by B&O) are cheap paper cones with 2 oz magnets. A photo of them will show you you don't have anything special at all.

Last edited:

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
I stepped out of a Jeep that had a fake Beats sound system on the horrible UConnect system and while it really wasn't all that good, it absolutely smoked what I have in my BS. I'm working on making the necessary changes now.
There are a couple of threads on the forum that address the scammery involved in this fake B&O sound system as well as the cheesy stock system. The 'B&O' speaker drivers, at some point not too long ago, were discovered to be absolutely the same as the standard base stereo in some cases. I'm not sure if and how that changed. In any event, those fake B&O drivers ('fake' because Ford only licensed the logo. Nothing there is manufactured or even designed by B&O) are cheap paper cones with 2 oz magnets. A photo of them will show you you don't have anything special at all.
Replace the door speakers
Replace the subwoofer

Once you have done those two things, hopefully my posts will be enough instruction to do so, you will be much happier with the B&O. We should not need to do these things to have good sound after buying an upgraded name brand system but such is the way of the world.

Gents

Heritage
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your posts on this matter should be required reading for anyone who wants to sensibly upgrade this system, Meanderthal. You've done all the heavy lifting on this.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Apparently empathy is not in your repertoire.
Very true. No salesperson held a weapon to my head and forced me to buy when I tested everything out that I figured would make/break the sale.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You are assuming that a vehicle would be available to test. In the first 2+ years of BS sales, for multiple reasons, most people did not have the option to "test" a vehicle before ordering.
I did...I waited until one was available on a dealer lot to test out. I personally do not buy/order without first trying it out. Too bad for any manufacturer if they do not have a test mule available first.

TEdison

Outer Banks
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport OBX / 2020 Lincoln Corsair
I tend to doubt that it's a licensing deal inasmuch as B&O states - on their website - that they designed, engineered, and tuned the system installed on the Bronco Sport. Whether it lives up to your expectations or whether you like or dislike its components is up to you. Nevertheless, it is neither "fake" nor is it "scammery".

PugDad

Badlands
First Name
Bronco Lilly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BSBL
I did...I waited until one was available on a dealer lot to test out. I personally do not buy/order without first trying it out. Too bad for any manufacturer if they do not have a test mule available first.
Why anyone would buy a vehicle and never driven it is beyond anything i can fathom. I work too hard for my pennies to give it away and not be satisfied. I can spend all day finding flaw in just about anything, i dont have the time nor inclination for that.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
In my experience, sound quality is among the more subjective of characteristics. I've listened to speakers with top-flight lab results that sound like doo-doo, and vice-versa. If you're unhappy with the way your OEM audio system sounds then change it. Complaining about the manufacturer is a waste of time, mainly because it won't fix your problem.

Gents

Heritage
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I tend to doubt that it's a licensing deal inasmuch as B&O states - on their website - that they designed, engineered, and tuned the system installed on the Bronco Sport. Whether it lives up to your expectations or whether you like or dislike its components is up to you. Nevertheless, it is neither "fake" nor is it "scammery".
Well, that seals it- B&O, who certainly have a profiled interest in this licensing/merchandising deal (whatever it may be) are using it as a talking point on their website!
Subway also makes an 'Italian Meatball' sub that their advertising matter presents with glistening, freshly cooked popolo with a sumptuously hearty tomato sauce getting poured on as the old world Italian accordion music plays...and while it's a lovely representation of someone's ideal, that garbage is neither Italian nor sumptuous nor even rightfully real food or edible. It's merchandising and profiling. What do you think B&O is going to do? Take ownership of their Ford partnership deal or cut their balls off for any future partnership/licensing deals with anyone?

I have almost 50 years in fine and high end audio as well as a good amount of time in manufacturing and name brand manufacturing. B&O was always very little more than a highly stylized sub mid-fi audio product that was sold as 'state-of-the-art audio' when it wasn't even as critically good as middle of the line Pioneer or Sony. Anyone reading this that knows about real high end audio knows this is true. They sell styling and status to people with disposable income who don't know any better- of which there are many.
Martha Stewart Inc gets paid to have reps sit in meetings with vetted manufacturers, initially pick a couple of pleasant high end knockoff fabrics and make a few styling suggestions to eventually throw on Chinese made sofas, textiles & tables of less than questionable quality that are constructed with low priced and sometimes toxic ingredients by impoverished Chinese 7 year olds- all sold by a wistful photo of a blurred Martha sitting in her serene Connecticut Garden estate with a lovely Cashmere sweater draped over her neck.
And just to really make the point, JLo does not, will not and would never be caught dead wearing a Coach bag despite the beautiful pictures they use in the advertising.
That's the scammy reality of licensing.

Last edited:

TEdison

Outer Banks
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport OBX / 2020 Lincoln Corsair
Well, that seals it- B&O, who certainly have a profiled interest in this licensing/merchandising deal (whatever it may be) are using it as a talking point on their website!
Subway also makes an 'Italian Meatball' sub that their advertising matter presents with glistening, freshly cooked popolo with a sumptuously hearty tomato sauce getting poured on as the old world Italian accordion music plays...and while it's a lovely representation of someone's ideal, that garbage is neither Italian nor sumptuous nor even rightfully real food or edible. It's merchandising and profiling. What do you think B&O is going to do? Take ownership of their Ford partnership deal or cut their balls off for any future partnership/licensing deals with anyone?

I have almost 50 years in fine and high end audio as well as a good amount of time in manufacturing and name brand manufacturing. B&O was always very little more than a highly stylized sub mid-fi audio product that was sold as 'state-of-the-art audio' when it wasn't even as critically good as middle of the line Pioneer or Sony. Anyone reading this that knows about real high end audio knows this is true. They sell styling and status to people with disposable income who don't know any better- of which there are many.
Martha Stewart Inc gets paid to have reps sit in meetings with vetted manufacturers, initially pick a couple of pleasant high end knockoff fabrics and make a few styling suggestions to eventually throw on Chinese made sofas, textiles & tables of less than questionable quality that are constructed with low priced and sometimes toxic ingredients by impoverished Chinese 7 year olds- all sold by a wistful photo of a blurred Martha sitting in her serene Connecticut Garden estate with a lovely Cashmere sweater draped over her neck.
And just to really make the point, JLo does not, will not and would never be caught dead wearing a Coach bag despite the beautiful pictures they use in the advertising.
That's the scammy reality of licensing.
I don't disagree with most of what you're saying. I, too, have over 50 years experience with high-end audio (big deal) and can honestly say that I have never been a fan of B&O. I wasn't crazy about it in one of the few non-Ford vehicles I've owned (Audi) and not a big fan in my Bronco Sport - but - like it or not, B&O designed and tuned the audio systems for Ford and other manufacturers - and that's what's available in my BS OBX. I have Revel in my Lincoln and it's "OK" for what "OK" might be. Martha Stewart and 7 year olds in sweatshops aside, It's not a licensing deal and nowhere on the Ford, B&O, Becker, Revel, or JBL (all Harman International companies 'cept Ford) websites does it state that the trademarks were licensed. Resultingly, I'll just take their word for it.

Gents

Heritage
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't disagree with most of what you're saying. I, too, have over 50 years experience with high-end audio (big deal) and can honestly say that I have never been a fan of B&O. I wasn't crazy about it in one of the few non-Ford vehicles I've owned (Audi) and not a big fan in my Bronco Sport - but - like it or not, B&O designed and tuned the audio systems for Ford and other manufacturers - and that's what's available in my BS OBX. I have Revel in my Lincoln and it's "OK" for what "OK" might be. Martha Stewart and 7 year olds in sweatshops aside, It's not a licensing deal and nowhere on the Ford, B&O, Becker, Revel, or JBL (all Harman International companies 'cept Ford) websites does it state that the trademarks were licensed. Resultingly, I'll just take their word for it.
I remember when Lexus was fitted that coupe with a 'Mark Levinson' system (was that back in 99?) and I wanted that (idea) badly, almost badly enough to buy the Lexus. I didn't quite understand how this worked yet.
Do you remember when Subaru was running with Mcintosh systems?
My first thought was McIntosh and Subaru? Well, it was a Clarion with a nice face.
Truthfully, I have two minds on this. I always want a better system in my car, one that's satisfying in both quality and power. I occasionally get that moment where I want to crank it up and I don't want any crispy, distorted unpleasantries ruining a musical moment.
I think the only way to get the very best system that you can really enjoy is to just outsource a post market stereo. Pick your speakers, a reasonable sub and a good amp. In my last car, a Jeep, I opted for the Beats Sound system and while it wasn't horrible, it was completely limited and you really didn't get a lot of kick or volume out of it- not that I really expected it to be any better than the lousy Beats headphones.
I meant to get around to a stereo of my own design (that wasn't the Jeep UConnect) but the car got totaled in a flood and here I am with my Ford stereo. I'm definitely looking to (at least) do some of the good work the primary authors of this thread tried and succeeded with.
Sponsored