davidg4781

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
For the last year, I adjust my seat several times a week. The main issue is the gas pedal. I feel like my foot barely reaches the bottom of the pedal. I was at the dealership and there was a full size Bronco Heritage Sasquatch and I hopped in to see how it felt. Same issue with the pedal. So I'm thinking that's how Ford is compared to Honda.

There was also an Escape. Their pedal is longer so my foot fully covers it.

Does anyone know why this is? Is it because the Broncos are more truck-like and we sit different? Should I move my seat up even closer? Anyone else notice this?
Sponsored

johnardsg

Big Bend
First Name
johnard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BS BigBend/2011 v6 Rav4
Another factor would be the seats, if you havent noticed the front part is higher like in a bucket seat. If you adjust it upward youre foot will barely hit the pedal. Strains your knee area too while pressing the gas pedal. What i do is lower the seat until i can comfortably press the pedal. But yeah they are different from any suv/cars i’ve driven where seats are level and longer pedals.

Robink

Big Bend
First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco sport
This drives me nuts! I hate sitting in a hole because I drive off road every day and can't see so I raise the seat as far as it can go. Then I can't touch the gas pedal. I put a cover on the pedal thinking I'd get it closer but it doesn't work. My foot actually sits on the side instead of the floor and kind of floats there. It's hard to regulate the pedal like that. I absolutely hate this design. No other vehicle I have ever had has had this insane design.

Kraken1

Big Bend
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport Big Bend
I have the same problem, my foot keeps slipping off the gas pedal no matter where I put the seat.

Jill

Badlands
First Name
Gillian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Kodiak Brown Bronco Sport Badlands
For the last year, I adjust my seat several times a week. The main issue is the gas pedal. I feel like my foot barely reaches the bottom of the pedal. I was at the dealership and there was a full size Bronco Heritage Sasquatch and I hopped in to see how it felt. Same issue with the pedal. So I'm thinking that's how Ford is compared to Honda.

There was also an Escape. Their pedal is longer so my foot fully covers it.

Does anyone know why this is? Is it because the Broncos are more truck-like and we sit different? Should I move my seat up even closer? Anyone else notice this?
I have a 21 Badlands and have never been able to find a comfortable driving position where I can see over the front of the vehicle. I, too, find myself constantly adjusting the seat while driving. My last Escape had a 10-way power driver seat with more bolsters than my BL so the seat hugged you while my BL seat feels flat. The Escape has a completely different driving position and level of comfort, in my opinion.

NMhunter

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Badlands
My foot has slipped off the pedal a few times, and it caused a slight panic thinking my Sport had died. It does seem like the pedal should be closer to the floor. Maybe it is designed for aftermarket floor mats.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
Something that should have been noticed when a test drive was performed before purchase?

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
My foot has slipped off the pedal a few times, and it caused a slight panic thinking my Sport had died. It does seem like the pedal should be closer to the floor. Maybe it is designed for aftermarket floor mats.
Ford got burned on an "unintended acceleration" lawsuit. Turns out the factory floor mats combined with the accelerator pedal position allowed a condition such that the floor mat could get on top of the pedal. Since then, Ford's factory floor mats have snaps to hold them in place, and a cut out for the accelerator pedal. Additionally, it has changed pedal positioning to make it harder for an errant floor mat to get on top of one. Makes heel & toe driving difficult at best.

Kraken1

Big Bend
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Floor mates are not the problem, I have form-fitted mats that do not move whatsoever and my foot still slips off the gas peddle.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
I'll admit that I have moved the right foot to the left to brake on my F-150, only to press the go pedal and have the truck lunge forward. Fortunately, No one was in danger in front of me (I try to leave a half car length when at a stopped position in traffic). I have not had that happen to me though on the Ford F-450 RV, nor the BS.

Making it somewhat more difficult to have this happen by an automotive manufacturer is understandable and acceptable by me.

OP
OP
davidg4781

davidg4781

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
Something that should have been noticed when a test drive was performed before purchase?
I can't remember if I noticed this on my 7 minute test drive. It's a small detail. But it's all the small details that could make Ford say, "Oh, that's an issue, let's look into that."

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Floor mates are not the problem, I have form-fitted mats that do not move whatsoever and my foot still slips off the gas peddle.
From my previous post:

Additionally, it has changed pedal positioning to make it harder for an errant floor mat to get on top of one.
The pedals on newer Fords are farther off the floor to make it harder for floor mats to get on top of one.

Last edited:

Kraken1

Big Bend
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Floor mates are NOT the problem. My foot slips off the gas pedal without any floor mates in the vehicle.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Floor mates are NOT the problem. My foot slips off the gas pedal without any floor mates in the vehicle.
I didn't say it's because of the floor mat in your car. Please go back and carefully reread my posts. Ford moved the position of gas pedals in its later-model vehicles BECAUSE of an issue with floor mats in earlier models. The floor mats got on top of the gas pedal resulting in uncommanded acceleration. The pedal in your car is higher off the floor than in earlier Ford models (and cars from other manufacturers). This requires your ankle to be a different angle which makes it more difficult for you to keep your foot on the pedal. It's not the floor mat in YOUR car, it's the awkward pedal position, which is a result of floor mats in OTHER cars.
Sponsored