Bronco Blue

Outer Banks
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape
I’ll call my maintenance guy up and tell him I’m not the only one with scratches in their glass.
Sponsored

sholescurtis

First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
I have several very noticeable scratches in my tailgate glass. They don't seem to be cracks going through.

I have no idea how they got there, but glass doesn't scratch easily like this. So what is Ford using for their tailgate glass that could be scratching like this.

The only thing I can possibly think of is ice scraper in the winter, but a plastic blade shouldn't do that, and I can't think of any times I've actually scraped the rear glass (usually just defrost and sweep off).

Wondering if anybody else has found the tailgate glass scratches really easily?

Ford Bronco Sport Scratched Tailgate Glass IMG_6899

Ford Bronco Sport Scratched Tailgate Glass IMG_6898
I have several very noticeable scratches in my tailgate glass. They don't seem to be cracks going through.

I have no idea how they got there, but glass doesn't scratch easily like this. So what is Ford using for their tailgate glass that could be scratching like this.

The only thing I can possibly think of is ice scraper in the winter, but a plastic blade shouldn't do that, and I can't think of any times I've actually scraped the rear glass (usually just defrost and sweep off).

Wondering if anybody else has found the tailgate glass scratches really easily?

Ford Bronco Sport Scratched Tailgate Glass IMG_6899

Ford Bronco Sport Scratched Tailgate Glass IMG_6898
I have some very fine scratches on mine as well and only owned it since the end of January, and I’ve never had scratches on my other vehicles I’ve had for years. I definitely wonder about them myself.

Bronco Blue

Outer Banks
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape
These are just a couple that are pretty deep. There’s several mini ones, but my window is dirty so you won’t be able to see them well.

Ford Bronco Sport Scratched Tailgate Glass IMG_5286

Ford Bronco Sport Scratched Tailgate Glass IMG_5287

Bronco Blue

Outer Banks
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape
I have some very fine scratches on mine as well and only owned it since the end of January, and I’ve never had scratches on my other vehicles I’ve had for years. I definitely wonder about them myself.
What year is your’s jw? I’m trying to see if it’s a 2022 model year issue or not.

Bronco Blue

Outer Banks
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape

sholescurtis

First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Oh ok, I’m still wondering if it’s a factory problem or not.
It’s a valid question. I’ve never had scratches on other vehicles as I mentioned prior. My last VW SUV was 8 years old. It’s frustrating for sure. Mine are small and insignificant but given I haven’t even been through a whole year or winter yet, a bit worrisome

OP
OP

Legacy40k

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Velocity Blue Bronco Sport
the crazy thing is... glass isn't easy to scratch like that. They make glass cutting boards!

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
the crazy thing is... glass isn't easy to scratch like that. They make glass cutting boards!
Cutting board glass is different from automotive safety glass.

OP
OP

Legacy40k

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Velocity Blue Bronco Sport
Cutting board glass is different from automotive safety glass.
You missed the point... which is that glass doesn't scratch easily - that's why glass plates, or glasses, bridges, stairs etc aren't all scratched up with deep scratches.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You missed the point... which is that glass doesn't scratch easily - that's why glass plates, or glasses, bridges, stairs etc aren't all scratched up with deep scratches.
I'm in agreement with you that some glass items don't scratch easily. But I believe (could be wrong) that automotive safety glass differs than glass that is used for what you mentioned, which may be why some are experiencing this window scratching.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Side and rear windows are usually made with tempered glass, which is quite hard. You need something really hard and pointy to scratch tempered glass. I wonder if Ford uses a coating for the tint on the rear window, and that the scratches are in the coating, not the glass?

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Side and rear windows are usually made with tempered glass, which is quite hard. You need something really hard and pointy to scratch tempered glass. I wonder if Ford uses a coating for the tint on the rear window, and that the scratches are in the coating, not the glass?
This makes sense...Going off to Google it.

UPDATE:
Found several different scratch items about tempered glass.

One subject states: "in simple terms, that means when the glass is more tempered, it often scratches more easily.

And

Tempered glass resists scratches from sharp objects. Although the perfectly tempered glass is more resistant to scratches it should be treated with care.

And

What is the weakness of tempered glass?

Ford Bronco Sport Scratched Tailgate Glass d9GcTFrXFcZ-FzUo_WBvbccb9HbxCUcjptRSbeQw6d51THwQ&s

Although it is much stronger than conventional glass, when tempered glass does break it will completely shatter. This leaves you even more vulnerable to forced entry since criminals are so easily able to gain access by damaging just one piece of glass.

And

Why does tempered glass scratch?

Ford Bronco Sport Scratched Tailgate Glass d9GcR_SKJhZZZR8Q2Du8jf1NKqv2jFaZmYqZIolfZmrQmcRA&s

What Causes Scratches In Tempered Glass? Most scratches in tempered glass are caused by fabricating debris. It is a manufacturing defect that results in low-quality tempered glass and increases the likelihood of scratching the surface

And this:

Can scratches be removed from tempered glass?

Apply a small amount of whitening toothpaste, which is slightly more abrasive than regular toothpaste, to a soft, clean cloth. Then, buff the scratched glass in small circular motions. The grit in the toothpaste is enough to remove small scratches from tempered glass.

Last edited:

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
This makes sense...Going off to Google it.

UPDATE:
Found two different scratch items about tempered glass.

One subject states: "in simple terms, that means when the glass is more tempered, it often scratches more easily.

And

Tempered glass resists scratches from sharp objects. Although the perfectly tempered glass is more resistant to scratches it should be treated with care.
I believe tempered glass used for automotive windows is not the same as other kinds of tempered glass. More here.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Found this part of the article interesting:

In addition to the strength the heating process also makes the surface of the glass highly resistant to scratches.

Perhaps it was not heated enough during the creation of the glass. A pandemic issue?

Everything faulty these days seems to be blamed on the pandemic.
Sponsored