Zander1ni

Big Bend
First Name
Alexander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Golf tdi
Well I snapped the sway bar link drop bracket on a mild 2/10 off road trail. One side fully snapped off and disconnected and the other side seriously bent.

I have gone back to the OEM sway bar end links without the drop bracket. As far as I can tell this should work fine as the 2 other kits a available don’t use a drop bracket or shortened links?

the steering with the oem links is far far better and slightly better but still bumpy ride quality.

also as far as I know that when you increase lift you would want to extend your sway bar end links not shorten them. The rough country is about 4 inches shorter than the ford pieces and far far worse quality.
Ford Bronco Sport Rough country lift kit: Snapped/bent sway bar drop bracket 821F15E8-9D86-4C8D-B2CC-8C3EB36660D9
Ford Bronco Sport Rough country lift kit: Snapped/bent sway bar drop bracket 7E5F61F9-0E1D-4E14-AFB7-0CCDEBA22502
Ford Bronco Sport Rough country lift kit: Snapped/bent sway bar drop bracket 73DDA68F-7220-4624-A003-20AFA5D02EB9
Ford Bronco Sport Rough country lift kit: Snapped/bent sway bar drop bracket 0B46AFA8-51D9-4ED8-8E99-9D41D739AB4E
Sponsored

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I think I agree with your logic about the length of these replacement sway bar links -- installed *shorter* with a lift doesn't sound right to me either, are you sure that was done correctly? The replacements have instructions for setting them up at the right length (adjustable) for installation, right?

These pics looks as if that flange on the strut isn't strong enough -- but with different geometry and thus different forces, exerted, who knows? Maybe an engineering issue they didn't, or weren't equipped to figure out and are "testing" on customers. Another reason to be cautious about who is actually "endorsing" what mods -- I think.

OP
OP

Zander1ni

Big Bend
First Name
Alexander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Golf tdi
I think I agree with your logic about the length of these replacement sway bar links -- installed *shorter* with a lift doesn't sound right to me either, are you sure that was done correctly? The replacements have instructions for setting them up at the right length (adjustable) for installation, right?
Yes they said to measure to 9 1/4 inches which we did. Nowhere did it say to expand them once installed or anything. We did install the bracket wrong upon further inspection looking on the online photos versus the horrible black and white instructions booklet that we used to install which was impossible to distinguish the parts due to such low contrast.

nonetheless that part shouldn’t have snapped in half like that.

OP
OP

Zander1ni

Big Bend
First Name
Alexander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Golf tdi
Rough country is the budget company for this type of thing. Their quality is not on par with the more expensive offerings out there.
is there really a big difference in spacer lift kits? They seem to all function the same and would be made of similar materials

now the end links and bolts seemed pretty crappy

MRanderson

Big Bend
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Website
yuccamanufacturing.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Big Bend
Well I snapped the sway bar link drop bracket on a mild 2/10 off road trail. One side fully snapped off and disconnected and the other side seriously bent.

I have gone back to the OEM sway bar end links without the drop bracket. As far as I can tell this should work fine as the 2 other kits a available don’t use a drop bracket or shortened links?

the steering with the oem links is far far better and slightly better but still bumpy ride quality.

also as far as I know that when you increase lift you would want to extend your sway bar end links not shorten them. The rough country is about 4 inches shorter than the ford pieces and far far worse quality.
Ford Bronco Sport Rough country lift kit: Snapped/bent sway bar drop bracket 821F15E8-9D86-4C8D-B2CC-8C3EB36660D9
Ford Bronco Sport Rough country lift kit: Snapped/bent sway bar drop bracket 7E5F61F9-0E1D-4E14-AFB7-0CCDEBA22502
Ford Bronco Sport Rough country lift kit: Snapped/bent sway bar drop bracket 73DDA68F-7220-4624-A003-20AFA5D02EB9
Ford Bronco Sport Rough country lift kit: Snapped/bent sway bar drop bracket 0B46AFA8-51D9-4ED8-8E99-9D41D739AB4E
The reason they made the links shorter is because you are effectively lowering the shock when you install a spacer on it. So you have to shorten the link to keep the sway bar in the same place.

I have the kit and agree the rough country lift parts are built for an RC car, not a real one. I work in metal fabrication and I was shocked by how poor the structure was on the spacers and drop down brackets.

I plan on cutting and welding my oem links 1.5” shorter

OP
OP

Zander1ni

Big Bend
First Name
Alexander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Golf tdi
The reason they made the links shorter is because you are effectively lowering the shock when you install a spacer on it. So you have to shorten the link to keep the sway bar in the same place.

I have the kit and agree the rough country lift parts are built for an RC car, not a real one. I work in metal fabrication and I was shocked by how poor the structure was on the spacers and drop down brackets.

I plan on cutting and welding my oem links 1.5” shorter
Is there any technical reason I can’t use the full length OEM end links? It seems that 4wheelparts and ford bronco lifts use the OEM links

MRanderson

Big Bend
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Website
yuccamanufacturing.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Big Bend
Is there any technical reason I can’t use the full length OEM end links? It seems that 4wheelparts and ford bronco lifts use the OEM links
It’s going to drop your sway bar down a bit which will affect the leverage ratio of the bar twisting. That said...as long as it doesn’t hit anything I’m sure it’s fine. Better than your stuff breaking like the RC kit haha I’m sorry that happened.

with all the knocking issues people have from the sway bar link loosening at that bracket, they should just tell people to keep their oem links if they can

OP
OP

Zander1ni

Big Bend
First Name
Alexander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Golf tdi
It’s going to drop your sway bar down a bit which will affect the leverage ratio of the bar twisting. That said...as long as it doesn’t hit anything I’m sure it’s fine. Better than your stuff breaking like the RC kit haha I’m sorry that happened.

with all the knocking issues people have from the sway bar link loosening at that bracket, they should just tell people to keep their oem links if they can
well the issue could be my poor installation too we noticed that we put the bracket on backwards. The drop was the same. The instructions were literally horrible.

MRanderson

Big Bend
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Website
yuccamanufacturing.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Big Bend
well the issue could be my poor installation too we noticed that we put the bracket on backwards. The drop was the same. The instructions were literally horrible.
Oh I see that now yes its backwards. Sorry man that's rough. I'll still be cutting my OEMs down. I'll let you know how it goes and if it's successful you can try it out.

MRanderson

Big Bend
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Website
yuccamanufacturing.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Big Bend
@Zander1ni
@MRanderson
Any updates on shortening factory sway bars?
how did it run with OEM sway bars at full length?
I’ve been running my shortened OEM links for a bit now. No issues at all. I’m going to make my own lift spacers to offset the geometry changes to the knuckle/arm to make the ride quality better.

I basically bought the RC lift, and made my own instead because of how crappy the RC Stuff is. Don’t believe me? Look at their light bar. The brackets rivet into plastic and don’t allow for a sun roof - yet RC doesn’t mention any incompatibilities LOL they’re a joke

Jerm5816

Big Bend
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
I’ve been running my shortened OEM links for a bit now. No issues at all. I’m going to make my own lift spacers to offset the geometry changes to the knuckle/arm to make the ride quality better.

I basically bought the RC lift, and made my own instead because of how crappy the RC Stuff is. Don’t believe me? Look at their light bar. The brackets rivet into plastic and don’t allow for a sun roof - yet RC doesn’t mention any incompatibilities LOL they’re a joke
Yeah they beat everyone to the punch with their options but the options aren’t great. I understand a little bit of fabrication but all this is a bit much.

OP
OP

Zander1ni

Big Bend
First Name
Alexander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Golf tdi
I’ve not shortened the OEM sway bar end links and have been driving on and off road without issue

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I was also reviewing the posted installation photos of the Rough Country kit in this thread and comparing them to Rough Country's photos ln their installation instructions. The installation in this thread looks incorrect and could have possibly caused the failure of the bracketry and issues with the tie links.
Sponsored

Last edited: