Winds of Change

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco sport
Is there a reason the top of the roof rail is angled up? Just curious as I was looking at it to maybe plan a diy rack.
Sponsored

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands ordered 12/17/2021 - Arrived 3/25/22
Is there a reason the top of the roof rail is angled up? Just curious as I was looking at it to maybe plan a diy rack.
Good question. I just went out to the garage to look at ours. I hadn't noticed but it is angled up along its entire length -- higher on the inside edge.

I like the optional crossbars (aside from an annoying installation issue). They were pricy, but they seem very strong. Maybe they would make things easier for you, IDK.

Of course they would also raise the height of the rack and load a couple inches.

OP
OP
Winds of Change

Winds of Change

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco sport
Good question. I just went out to the garage to look at ours. I hadn't noticed but it is angled up along its entire length -- higher on the inside edge.

I like the optional crossbars (aside from an annoying installation issue). They were pricy, but they seem very strong. Maybe they would make things easier for you, IDK.

Of course they would also raise the height of the rack and load a couple inches.
I'll probably just get one of the crossbars discussed on here.

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'll probably just get one of the crossbars discussed on here.
I haven't seen any other crossbars, but I can say that the stock ones are nice. Aerodynamic and strong.

There could be some aftermarket ones that are better, certainly cheaper.

If you can get the OEM ones used, that would be ideal.

Elegance

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Would highly recommend a set of Thule Wingbar Evo 53". Definitely not cheaper but certainly better than OEM. Low profile, not noisy, ability to add locks, and strong as all get out.

Ford Bronco Sport Roof rail angle 20230618_144016

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like that the Thule Wingbar Evo 53" extend a bit beyond the roof rails. That seems more useful/practical.

It's also nice that their mounting position (front to rear) is adjustable to a certain extent. It may not matter, but it's good have that flexibility.

They are relatively expensive, but IIRC, the OE crossbars were about the same price (~$300).

What I like about the OE bars is that they are simple (no plastic/rubber inserts, no endcaps), and that they are very secure. Not that the aftermarket ones aren't, but the OE bars have "hooks" that fit into slots in the bottom of the roof rails. It's a very strong mounting system -- assuming the roof rails are attached well... :cool:

The OE bars have one defect that I've described elsewhere -- if the machine screw that secures the 'hook' was about 5/8" longer, it could be loosened up enough to insert the hook into the rail slot, while remaining threaded into the hole. In fact, the installation instructions show just that! Instead, because the screw is too short, it must be removed, then the hook inserted and held up into the slot with one hand, while the screw is threaded back into it's hole. It sounds easy enough, but it's in a dark recess where you are working blind. Oh, and the hole is on a spring-loaded piece so it does not want to hold still. It was much more difficult than it needed to be. Simple, but frustrating.

If I had it to do over, I'd certainly consider the Thule bars. The bars on our '97 RAV4 have a similar design. The bars extend outward a few inches. They are very strong but not aerodynamic -- a closed box with internal 'webbing'. The OE bars on the BS BL are very aerodynamic, little/no noise.

thekingprawn

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For flush mount, consider Rhino Rack.
Rhino is what we have on our old RAV4. The ones we have are pretty basic, but they are strong.

One criticism I have is that they are not made to attach to the factory mounting points. Not a huge deal, but attaching them to the door frame, while it seems secure, is not as 'clean'.

That may not be an issue with the BS.

It's been a while since I installed them. If Rhino had a model that used the stock mounts I would have gotten it -- unless it was crazy expensive. I don't recall what the deal was.

thekingprawn

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rhino is what we have on our old RAV4. The ones we have are pretty basic, but they are strong.

One criticism I have is that they are not made to attach to the factory mounting points. Not a huge deal, but attaching them to the door frame, while it seems secure, is not as 'clean'.

That may not be an issue with the BS.

It's been a while since I installed them. If Rhino had a model that used the stock mounts I would have gotten it -- unless it was crazy expensive. I don't recall what the deal was.
They have several mounting systems to accommodate most vehicles/rails. The website has a selector that narrows down to the trim level before recommending a specific set.

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They have several mounting systems to accommodate most vehicles/rails. The website has a selector that narrows down to the trim level before recommending a specific set.
Sounds good!

I bought ours years ago. They fit fine. We've carried a lot of heavy pressure treated lumber on them with no problem.

I'm usually a function over form person, but I figure that if there are solid factory mounting locations, it makes sense to use them. I don't recall Rhino having any other options, but that was for a 1997 RAV4, and it was several years ago.

My guess would be that -- at least at that time -- Rhino was keeping prices lower by not making vehicle-specific cross bars.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
I've bought many non OEM accessories; some good, some bad. My new way of thinking is to trust a Ford accessory part. Designed to fit and operate.

I have the Ford OEM cross bars.