Roof Rack Rail Genuine Ford Accessory Cross-bars Are Designed Improperly (Will Not Tighten)

jamesreilly

Big Bend
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I ordered the roof rail cross-bars from my Ford dealer. The first set had two stripped screws that would not tighten. Got a replacement set, but they (like the first set, too) are designed improperly and the clamps that hold them to the rails are too long and won't tighten all the way. That is, unless you find some kind of a washer(s) to place between the bottom of the rail and the clamp (at the little post nub); then, they'll tighten just enough. The look is a little less clean, but they can work. They cost about $340, but I used the points I got when I bought the vehicle to get a $200 discount. Love my Bronco Sport (Big Bend)!
Sponsored

Last edited:

KAnoe

Badlands
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger, 2017 Subaru Crosstrek
I ordered the roof rail cross-bars from my Ford dealer. The first set had two stripped screws that would not tighten. Got a replacement set, but they (like the first set, too) are designed improperly and the clamps that hold them to the rails are too long and won't tighten all the way. That is, unless you find some kind of a washer(s) to place between the bottom of the rail and the clamp (at the little post nub); then, they'll tighten just enough. The look is a little less clean, but they can work. They cost about $340, but I used the points I got when I bought the vehicle to get a $200 discount. Love my Bronco Sport (Big Bend)!
From what I remember from another post that you get a front set and backset because the rail changes size. The poster said he had a like issue until he caught rail size change. Could this be your issue?

OP
OP
jamesreilly

jamesreilly

Big Bend
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
The label for the front crossbar was present and obeyed (as was the "front" arrow on each crossbar) was . Even as such, both rails were equally loose. Don't really see any thinness or fatness difference in the roof rail along its length.

Aedorado

Big Bend
First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport

I have the same issue did you take pictures of where you placed the washers exactly and what kind did you get? Thanks

FirsandFire

Big Bend
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I wonder if made a bad batch or something? My dealer emailed me a week after I got my Sport and when I showed up he handed me a big box and said "enjoy" I didn't realize it was a roof rack until I got home. I installed the cross bars with zero issues and it only took about 10 minutes with the supplied torx key. The bolts took a little finesse to align so they would thread properly (very easy to cross-thread them) but otherwise the fit and finish was dead on.

realworld51

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
The label for the front crossbar was present and obeyed (as was the "front" arrow on each crossbar) was . Even as such, both rails were equally loose. Don't really see any thinness or fatness difference in the roof rail along its length.
The size of the rails doesn't change but the distance *between* them changes from front to back. Also note there are unique crossbar versions specific to "on road" (base, BB, OB) and "off road" (Badlands and FE) models.

FirsandFire

Big Bend
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
The size of the rails doesn't change but the distance *between* them changes from front to back. Also note there are unique crossbar versions specific to "on road" (base, BB, OB) and "off road" (Badlands and FE) models.
Where did you find that information? I'm genuinely curious because if that's indeed true, it seems like a recipe for headaches for both Ford and the consumer.

OP
OP
jamesreilly

jamesreilly

Big Bend
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Yes my salesman from dealership put mine on and said something about he had to use a washer some place.Does not sound right.Sounds like it will have be addressed down the rode . Thanks for the information.
Interestingly enough, I met someone with a “First Edition” model that came from the factory with the cross-bars already installed, and the clamps were nice and snug without washers! So, I guess the ones they are selling as accessories are not exactly the same. What’s up with that?... I’m going to talk to my dealer about it.

jhbass

First Edition
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I wonder if made a bad batch or something? My dealer emailed me a week after I got my Sport and when I showed up he handed me a big box and said "enjoy" I didn't realize it was a roof rack until I got home. I installed the cross bars with zero issues and it only took about 10 minutes with the supplied torx key. The bolts took a little finesse to align so they would thread properly (very easy to cross-thread them) but otherwise the fit and finish was dead on.
My dealer neglected to leave me the torx key, could you share the bit size?
Thanks

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
Some manufacturers also make the front bar more aerodynamic, usually to cut down on wind noise.

FirsandFire

Big Bend
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
My dealer neglected to leave me the torx key, could you share the bit size?
Thanks
it is a T25 security tore bolt. make sure you get a security bit or Allen key. they have a hole in the center of the star shape because the bolt has a nub inside the head. T25 security

Ford Bronco Sport Roof Rack Rail Genuine Ford Accessory Cross-bars Are Designed Improperly (Will Not Tighten) tempImage5nhgjS

Ford Bronco Sport Roof Rack Rail Genuine Ford Accessory Cross-bars Are Designed Improperly (Will Not Tighten) tempImageLGI9ow
Sponsored