Forestpatrol

Big Bend
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco Sport Big Bend / 93 F350 IDI
I was hoping to get some up to date best options for roof racks for a 2024 Big Bend. I am thinking that I would like to go with a platform style rack. I figured that without a lip it would be easier to slide things on and off. I won’t be loading canoes or kayaks but I will be loading blow up paddle boards, the type that are in huge bags. I would also like the versatility to be able to load tools, shovels and possibly fly rods.

I guess what I am looking for is really the versatility that would allow me to use the most cargo management accessories possible down the road. I have always had a truck so I am not familiar with roof rack mounting hardware options but I would assume that there is some standard that manufacturers design around, like you have with MOLLE webbing for instance.

It looks like the Rhino Rack Pioneer platform might be right but I am also open to less expensive options.

Thank you!
Sponsored

Jmuns

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport BL
Lots of endless options for this. Platforms are nice because of the versatility you mentioned. They also tend to weigh a little more than baskets because of the size and design. If you search the forum there are some good threads about roof top racks, crossbars, platforms, and baskets.

One thing to remember is that if you have a moonroof the dynamic load for the roof is 100lbs and without the moonroof is 150lbs. If you are just transporting a couple SUP then it won’t matter most likely on your choice. Some people don’t pay attention to the weight restrictions but it’s always nice to at least know what Ford thinks you should have up top. Especially at speed if traveling distances. Just remember that you have to subtract whatever the rack and mounting hardware weigh from the total available. It adds up quick.

I went with a Thule Canyon XT basket because I found it on Facebook for insanely cheap. I’d scour your local Craigslist, Nextdoor, and Facebook for used racks to see what’s available. I like baskets because you can just toss stuff in there and strap it down easily or throw a net over it and call it a day.

Check this thread out if you haven’t seen it.

https://www.broncosportforum.com/forum/threads/lost-in-a-sea-of-cross-bars-and-roof-racks.3874/

OP
OP

Forestpatrol

Big Bend
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

PaulOinMA

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BS, '22 FE, '04 Audi TT, '66 Austin Moke

Horse n Buggy

Badlands
First Name
Stoge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Thanks, I just read through it!

So I think now I am set on a platform system like that from Rhino. I am just seeing if there are any less-expensive but still well-built options out there?
It's technically less expensive, but much more difficult to install as it's a complete replacement, but JCR makes a roof rail replacement system that converts your whole roof into a extruded aluminum T-Slot platform. I believe Spider Rack makes something in the same vein as JCRs and Yucca MFG makes something that converts your stock rails into a T-Slot platform.

I went with JCR because they have a super low profile and fairing to reduce wind noise and drag.
Ford Bronco Sport Roof rack options? 1000004423

BourbonRunner

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Counterpoint to the platform:

I researched exhaustively the options and debated the platform vs cross bar setup. As others wrote, weight is a consideration, especially if you have a moon roof. I load up my kayaks and other long, oversized items like 2x4s, trim stock, etc. somewhat regularly. A platform initially I thought would make sense but the weight limits meant I couldn't take both kayaks on the same trip.

Ultimately I settled on Yakima HD bars over a platform. Weight savings is massive, and ease of install/removal is better, though once I put the bars on they haven't come off. https://yakima.com/products/hd-bar

Another big reason for them was the connection points on the bar ends. I can attach a tarp, clothesline or string lights to it, and the bars have built in t-slots if I want to go that route.

My first trip with them I had a 60lb fishing kayak, paddle, two rods (minus reels) and some other assorted stuff on a 200 mile each way run to the lake. No issues with shifting, etc.

OP
OP

Forestpatrol

Big Bend
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Counterpoint to the platform:

I researched exhaustively the options and debated the platform vs cross bar setup. As others wrote, weight is a consideration, especially if you have a moon roof. I load up my kayaks and other long, oversized items like 2x4s, trim stock, etc. somewhat regularly. A platform initially I thought would make sense but the weight limits meant I couldn't take both kayaks on the same trip.

Ultimately I settled on Yakima HD bars over a platform. Weight savings is massive, and ease of install/removal is better, though once I put the bars on they haven't come off. https://yakima.com/products/hd-bar

Another big reason for them was the connection points on the bar ends. I can attach a tarp, clothesline or string lights to it, and the bars have built in t-slots if I want to go that route.

My first trip with them I had a 60lb fishing kayak, paddle, two rods (minus reels) and some other assorted stuff on a 200 mile each way run to the lake. No issues with shifting, etc.
oh wow, didn’t realize that the weight issue was bad enough to prevent you from loading 2 kayaks. I think it’s 150lb limit so that platform must be pretty heavy, I’ll have to keep that in mind. Thank you!

It's technically less expensive, but much more difficult to install as it's a complete replacement, but JCR makes a roof rail replacement system that converts your whole roof into a extruded aluminum T-Slot platform. I believe Spider Rack makes something in the same vein as JCRs and Yucca MFG makes something that converts your stock rails into a T-Slot platform.

I went with JCR because they have a super low profile and fairing to reduce wind noise and drag.
I think I want to keep the stock rails so I’ll just have to deal with the worse mpg. Thank you for the info and options!

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 bronco sport
I did go with the factory option after taking delivery; I installed myself. Not the greatest and limits me some for mounting options for some brands.
I have secured two large kayaks to my roof and drove 400+ miles with them on there with no issues. 70+ MPH tested
Ford Bronco Sport Roof rack options? IMG_0828
Ford Bronco Sport Roof rack options? 7CF40676-0298-409A-BC18-E02BB712BAC1
Ford Bronco Sport Roof rack options? IMG_9501

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
That’s a great setup! Which brand and model “J Hooks” for holding the 2 kayaks did you go with and do those hooks mount easily to the factory rack? Looks like you have 4 of the J hooks.
Also .. in your pic about how long is the longest kayak shown in that pic?

BourbonRunner

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
@BlueOuterBanks Nice setup.

Do you have issues with noise since the bars sit up higher?

Only asking because mine were louder than no bars, but putting the Yakima pads on the bars quieted it down a lot.

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 bronco sport
That’s a great setup! Which brand and model “J Hooks” for holding the 2 kayaks did you go with and do those hooks mount easily to the factory rack? Looks like you have 4 of the J hooks.
Also .. in your pic about how long is the longest kayak shown in that pic?
Thanks!
The J hooks and the Kayaks are both Vibe brand. I only have one set of two Jay hooks for the larger of the kayaks. The shorter one was just resting on some pool noodles.
The J hooks were incredibly easy to assemble, and I felt confident in their attachment to the cross rails.
The Sea Ghost 110 is 11‘6“
Ford Bronco Sport Roof rack options? IMG_9931

Last edited:
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 bronco sport
@BlueOuterBanks Nice setup.

Do you have issues with noise since the bars sit up higher?

Only asking because mine were louder than no bars, but putting the Yakima pads on the bars quieted it down a lot.
Thanks!
There was a minor addition of wind noise once they were installed. I stopped noticing after a ride or two and just attributed it to the normal noise cars make.

Adding radio volume also made the wind noise disappear. 🤣

kshaw

Outer Banks
First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport;350Z;Hybrid Escape
I have an inflatable kayak and the bag is not that big, but the weight is about the same as a full size kayak. I plan to keep mine in the back.
Sponsored