Removing Splash Guards?

bkutcha

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I ordered a big bend that should be coming within a couple of weeks. I did not realize until I bought it though that it comes installed with front and rear splash guards. I understand the benefits of splash guards, but I'm not a fan of the look. If I wanted to, would I be able to safely remove them?
Sponsored

retiredguy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport BB , 2020 Ecosport, 2017 Escape
I ordered a big bend that should be coming within a couple of weeks. I did not realize until I bought it though that it comes installed with front and rear splash guards. I understand the benefits of splash guards, but I'm not a fan of the look. If I wanted to, would I be able to safely remove them?

I installed the splash guards with a ratchet. It was pretty easy even though it was tight on the rear wheels. You will need the plugs to seal the holes after you remove the splash guards.

Zander1ni

Big Bend
First Name
Alexander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Golf tdi
are you talking about the tiny plastic ones? If so those are not on the badlands model despite it having the same bumper. I’d remove them

OP
OP

bkutcha

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I installed the splash guards with a ratchet. It was pretty easy even though it was tight on the rear wheels. You will need the plugs to seal the holes after you remove the splash guards.
I was thinking that. I assume they are not on the Ford website? How do you think I could get them? Dealership?

OP
OP

bkutcha

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
are you talking about the tiny plastic ones? If so those are not on the badlands model despite it having the same bumper. I’d remove them
Yes, they are the smaller plastic ones. I'd like to remove them I just want to make sure that's possible.

PersimmonHills

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
It should be no problem. You will need about 10 plastic rivets.

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Yes, the tiny "splash guards" are actually for aerodynamics -- disrupting the airflow at the front of the wheels for better fuel economy. Yes, they primarily seem to be installed Base: none, Big Bend: at all 4 wheels, Outer Banks: all 4, Badlands/First Edition: rear wheels only. There are exceptions, which blew my theory that these were based upon the suspension (BL/FE) or the 18" wheel (OB std., BB optional). If I need to cut out the fasteners and replace, I'm disappointed -- I wanted to remove these (2 at the rear on the BL).

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
So the little air deflectors in front of tires are called Splash Guards? I thought Splash Guards were behind the tires? Yes, no?

Jcera304

Big Bend
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
I’m wanting to remove the tiny splash guards in front of the tires. Is there anything special or will they just unbolt?

PonyDriver43

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mustang EB Premium, 13 F150 Lariat, 18 Tahoe
So the little air deflectors in front of tires are called Splash Guards? I thought Splash Guards were behind the tires? Yes, no?
I'm with you (behind the tires). Back in the day they were mud flaps. Now splash guards ??
Little aero deflectors in front of tires -- how about Ugly Flaps ??

dakman

Big Bend
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Those little flaps are easy to remove. Just turn your wheel so you can access fasteners and remove. If I remember I just put the fasteners back in.

Jcera304

Big Bend
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Those little flaps are easy to remove. Just turn your wheel so you can access fasteners and remove. If I remember I just put the fasteners back in.
Any advice on how to remove the clips without breaking them?

Petroph

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FX4 F150
Here I am thinking I should've ordered Splash Guards on my BL when I did as they look pretty good. I didn't though, as I was never a fan of them on any vehicle. But after getting behind some cars with heavy rain and stuff recently, and seeing them in action, I'm just not sure if I should've or not. 😅

dakman

Big Bend
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
I use a small flat head to lift the center out and then carefully get the main clip out. They do make tools that are plastic and work good for the clips. I believe there are some normal screws too. There only I think 3 fasteners or screws in each one.
Sponsored