Jill

Badlands
First Name
Gillian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Kodiak Brown Bronco Sport Badlands
Man, I must be the luckiest vehicle owner in the US, owned so many fords over the last 50 plus years and not a single recall.......

My 21 Badlands, not a single recall or missing engine cover or all the other things! (Knock on wood :rockon: )

But if and when it happens.............

No worry, beeeee happy.......... :beer::beer:
Same here. I have a 21 Badlands and have been driving Ford products for 50 years. I’ve never had a recall notice.
Sponsored

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
This isn't always true. Although recalls are usually prompted by NHTSA investigations, most are initiated voluntarily by manufacturers. Sometimes manufacturers will disagree with the NHTSA's or DOT's ideas regarding the best way to deal with a given issue. If all parties cannot come to an agreement the government may issue an order directing a recall, but that's rare.

Manufacturers are motivated to fix safety issues. The ability of owners to share information on forums like this has made it all but impossible for manufacturers to place profit above safety as Ford did with the Pinto back in the 1970s.
If the recalls are prompted by a NHTSA investigation, then it is being called for by the government. You can say the manufacturers are doing it voluntarily but that just means they are doing it before they are made to do it given a fine for not doing it. Seems to be more less semantics but again I don’t know all the in/outs of it.

I worked for a company that had to do a recall because of a perceived possibility of a safety risk. The company was not forced to do the recall but once the government is involved you basically have to do it. If a company does not do the recall, at a minimum they are accepting the risk that if someone is hurt the company will be sued and have no defense. If you do the recall then you are protecting yourself from lawsuits but you have to do all the specific details required.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
Same here. I have a 21 Badlands and have been driving Ford products for 50 years. I’ve never had a recall notice.
I have about a dozen recalls on my '16 F150 but truck doesn't have any issues other then that. My father in law keeps raving about service local Lincoln does so might eventually take truck to them. My '21 sport no recalls and is excellent so far 5300 miles...

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
If the recalls are prompted by a NHTSA investigation, then it is being called for by the government. You can say the manufacturers are doing it voluntarily but that just means they are doing it before they are made to do it given a fine for not doing it. Seems to be more less semantics but again I don’t know all the in/outs of it.
I get what you're saying. I don't think it matters in the end what motivates a manufacturer to correct product defects. In today's market, consumers enjoy a great deal of confidence that the products they use are safe, whether by government mandate, fear of liability lawsuits, or simply because a manufacturer realizes that it can't sell products to dead consumers.

Ford is (as far as I know) unique in this area among auto manufacturers. It has publicly acknowledged that it needs to do better when it comes to product quality.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2022/06/26/ford-recalls-warranty-costs-toyota/7724621001/?gnt-cfr=1

Last edited:
Reactions: MJE

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/kia-recalls-sedans-because-plates-in-ceiling-can-come-loose/2022/08/09/fd820896-17e4-11ed-b998-b2ab68f58468_story.html

"Kia is recalling nearly 260,000 older midsize cars in the U.S. because plates in the ceiling can come loose if the side curtain air bags inflate in a crash.
Kia says it has one report of a driver being hurt in a 2012 Optima."

Welcome to the new world. Would a company create a recall because one incident? No, that's government in action. They're "choosing" to recall 1/4 million, 10+ year old cars based on one incident. It's a CYA move. It's cheaper to apply some tape to anyone that bothers to come in for a recall than litigate a single claim. And keep in mind, the crux of the lawsuit is about a Kia coming apart in a crash. Who doesn't expect that to happen naturally!?

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
One of recalls on my '16 F150 is power tail gate might stop working. Ford says they will fix for free if mine starts having that issue even though out of warranty. Doubt that's a safety related on that one.

Fossil

Badlands
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 Raptor, 95 SVT Mustang 5spd, 95 SHO 5spd
12 new Fords and 2 Mercurys, no recalls, one warranty repair and 2 warrantied batteries.

BigPhatPaulie

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I mean hey at least its not Ferrari having to recall essentially everything they ever sold since 2005 XD