lej51201

Big Bend
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I took my Bronco Sport in for an oil change and to address Recall 21C31. I'm getting checked in and find out that 21C31 is only an "advanced notice recall" as the parts aren't even available yet. This concerns me a little since it has to do with the front brakes. Anyone else been told this by their service writer?
Sponsored

bjbena

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL. EcoSport SES
I took my Bronco Sport in for an oil change and to address Recall 21C31. I'm getting checked in and find out that 21C31 is only an "advanced notice recall" as the parts aren't even available yet. This concerns me a little since it has to do with the front brakes. Anyone else been told this by their service writer?
This has been discussed already and is for the rear brakes.

kyle_conrad

Outer Banks
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Website
kyleconrad.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Outer Banks

RS1

Big Bend
First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
It says front brakes and my dealer said front but nhtsa says rears.

bjbena

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL. EcoSport SES
Does it or does it not say front brakes?

Ford Bronco Sport Recall 21C31 IMG_0001
Hey, wiseguy. It does, but as it has been discussed multiple times, the app is wrong.

Had you searched before you would have seen at least three threads about this. It is for the rear. The Escape and Bronco Sport forums know its for the rear. The NHTSA lists this for the rear along with a multitude of websites.

https://www.automotive-fleet.com/10157241/ram-1500-ford-escape-models-under-recall
https://ford.oemdtc.com/7400/2021-2022-ford-bronco-sport-escape-compliance-recall-21c31-reduced-braking-performance
https://fordauthority.com/2021/12/2021-2022-ford-bronco-sport-recalled-over-braking-system-safety-issue/
https://www.autoblog.com/buy/2022-Ford-Escape/recalls/

Shall I continue?

bjbena

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL. EcoSport SES
It says front brakes and my dealer said front but nhtsa says rears.
I can guarantee your dealer is wrong. Neither Ford, nor the NHTSA, has said anything about the front brakes besides the erroneous message it the FordPass app.

bjbena

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL. EcoSport SES
Does it or does it not say front brakes?

Ford Bronco Sport Recall 21C31 IMG_0001
Sorry, very long day and didn't mean to sound like a douche.

Some of us have been here a while and know what's going on so if we offer factual knowledge, versus just an opinion, accept it.

Be well ...

Last edited:

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I can guarantee your dealer is wrong. Neither Ford, nor the NHTSA, has said anything about the front brakes besides the erroneous message it the FordPass app.
I think the FordPass is wrong too, but it's possible there is another recall in the works we haven't been informed of yet. Auto manufacturers are usually not the example you want when looking for good customer communication.

bjbena

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL. EcoSport SES
I think the FordPass is wrong too, but it's possible there is another recall in the works we haven't been informed of yet. Auto manufacturers are usually not the example you want when looking for good customer communication.
That may be the case but it is usually (8 out of 10 times) preceded by a TSB or multiple NHTSA complaints and would have attached a NHTSA complaint/recall number.

In this case, the Ford/NHTSA recall number attached is related DIRECTLY to a KNOWN rear brake recall.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
So if NHTSA says Rear Brake Recall but Ford Pass says Front Brake Recall and we have dealers telling ppl Front Brakes maybe just maybe there could be some confusion?

bjbena

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL. EcoSport SES
So if NHTSA says Rear Brake Recall but Ford Pass says Front Brake Recall and we have dealers telling ppl Front Brakes maybe just maybe there could be some confusion?
You do what you do, but I definitely trust NHTSA information more than what I get from an app or from a run-of-the-mill service rep. Ask your average service rep how long they have been doing this or "what information they know of recall ...(Pick a Ford recall)." Guarantee they know jack-s**t beyond what a computer screen/customer tells them.

My thought process is if every stinking website mentions rear brake pad attached to a recall number, and multiple Ford vehicle forums mention the recalls with corresponding info, I definitely will lean more heavily to them instead of a service rep who TYPICALLY know nothing beyond what a VIN/computer screen/customer issue says. Go ahead, quiz your service rep and I bet you'd be NEGATIVELY surprised. I deal with a well-respected (in my eyes) PARTS REP and I definitely trust his input/judgement/knowledge/honesty over what most of the service folk tell me.

That's just me ...

Last edited:

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
I definitely trust NHTSA information more than what I get from an app or from a run-of-the-mill service rep. Ask your average service rep how long they have been doing this or "what information they know of recall ...(Pick a Ford recall)." Guarantee they know jack-s**t beyond what a computer screen/customer tells them.

That's just me ...
Info from dealers usually unreliable can't go by what dealership bozos say.

bjbena

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL. EcoSport SES
Info from dealers usually unreliable can't go by what dealership bozos say.
Not always, but on average yeah. Nine out of 10 times I will trust info I receive on these forums over what the average service tech tells me.
Sponsored