Rattling noise driver front - anyone else

mark917

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS
2022 BL 1500 miles. HRG 2" lift and 245/65/17 tires w/factory wheels. Last week started hearing "clunking" sound Driver front. It was infrequent and didn't always happen on bumps. No ryhme or reason to when it starts and stops. Became increasingly worse until yesterday it was almost constant. Doesn't appear to be the strut or strut hat hitting anything as it doesn't always happen on bumps.

I went back to the authorized HRG installer to have him take a quick look to see if anything was loose from the lift and everything was good. As a matter of fact the front end made no noise whatsoever all the way there (1 hour ride) but of course when I left, it came back. Can't quite put my finger on what is causing it but its annoying as heck and kind of scary (just waiting for something to lock up). Cannot replicate manually (I.e. by bouncing the car or moving it side to side). I don't see this issue posted anywhere here unless I missed it. Thoughts?

Oh, I too have the groaning of the rear brakes during backup (started last week as well) and front brake squealing which is sort of embarrassing for a new car. Related to front end issue above??
Sponsored

seoden88

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Sport Badlands
no brakes moan has nothing to do with the issue above. its def something to do with lift.

OP
OP

mark917

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS
Sorry should have been more clear - I didnt think the rear moaning would affect the front. I thought since I had the squealing up front from the brakes that might be related (loose pad, caliper issues, etc). But - the clunking sounds still happens when brakes are applied so that is out -tested that yesterday as well.

I thought the same thing about the lift as it really sounds like the strut is making noise BUT there is not much to go wrong with the HRG 1.25 lift. Its spacers and sway bar links and yesterday we checked:
- Nothing loose as far as visible steering and drive train components on either wheel.
- Sway bars not rubbing or loose
- Top strut mounts are all tight

Remember too that if something was loose with the lift, the noise would always be there. This rattling/clunking is on/off and doesn't usually happen when the vehicle is under stress (higher speed, bumps, etc). Sometimes it just happens.

Anyone with HRG lift have any of the same issues?

RiotfunK

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands
Feels like it’s coming from the drivers front tire area. Usually when you hit small bumps like pulling into a plaza or similar. Sounds like loose end link, steering shaft and doesn’t do it all the time. Intermittent clunk. Have same thing, same lift and everything is torqued to spec. Just had everything retorqued and was all fine and aligned again.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
2022 BL 1500 miles. HRG 2" lift and 245/65/17 tires w/factory wheels. Last week started hearing "clunking" sound Driver front. It was infrequent and didn't always happen on bumps. No ryhme or reason to when it starts and stops. Became increasingly worse until yesterday it was almost constant. Doesn't appear to be the strut or strut hat hitting anything as it doesn't always happen on bumps.

I went back to the authorized HRG installer to have him take a quick look to see if anything was loose from the lift and everything was good. As a matter of fact the front end made no noise whatsoever all the way there (1 hour ride) but of course when I left, it came back. Can't quite put my finger on what is causing it but its annoying as heck and kind of scary (just waiting for something to lock up). Cannot replicate manually (I.e. by bouncing the car or moving it side to side). I don't see this issue posted anywhere here unless I missed it. Thoughts?

Oh, I too have the groaning of the rear brakes during backup (started last week as well) and front brake squealing which is sort of embarrassing for a new car. Related to front end issue above??
Hey there! I can look into your Bronco’s noise concerns on my end if you’d like. Will you send us a private message with your VIN and dealership info?

RiotfunK

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands
I still get the noise after everything was done. I have no idea what it is, everything Is tight and even put torque wrench to verify. Could be bad link/joint. Had something similar in my jeep. Was tight af by hand but would clunk at certain points. Pulled them and it went away. The ends of the HRG links are like ball joints and have also changed from when I put mine on. Check their site, mine are completely different than what they ship with now. Feels tight by hand, wrench etc. But the static weight of the rig is a lot more than I can do. Easy way to check is disconnect both sway bar links, strap up the sway bar and go for a short cruise. Could probs even just do the drivers since that’s where the sound comes from. I’ve read a few others have something similar but no one has figured it out.

OP
OP

mark917

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS
Thanks for taking the time to respond. I may have an older version of the kit as I purchased it from a local member who decided not to use it. Will reach out to them to see what the deal is.

Thanks again!

SordoSam

Big Bend
First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
I have the same issue. Has anyone figured out what it is? Going over the reflectors triggers the sound. I’m noticing mine is getting worse and I don’t have a lift. Everything on my suspension is OEM.

VI Bob

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
I'm having the same issue. So far they have replaced the left front CV axle and the left front lower control arm. Now they are convinced they need to replace the left front CV axle again. My Bronco Sport has fewer than 5,000 miles on it btw.

It seems to make noise especially when turning right on bumpy roads. If they ever fix it I'll report back.

First Name
Santiago
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport 1.5 BigBend
I have the same issue. Has anyone figured out what it is? They have replaced the left front CV axle under warranty and the noise continues. My suspension is OEM.
BB 1.5 2021 12000 miles.

VI Bob

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
They like to replace that CV axle. I don't think that is the problem since from the examples I've found online that problem sounds more like a loud ticking noise (very consistent). Ford is going to replace my left front CV axle a second time next week. That will either convince them they're on the wrong track or it will fix the problem. I'll let you know. (I'm still thinking stabilizer bar but we shall see.)

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I would not allow a shop to replace components as a troubleshooting methodology. When you take things apart you introduce the possibility it will not be reassembled properly. Demand they find out what's making the noise before allowing them to work on it again, or take it somewhere else.

You can do your own troubleshooting using this very simple technique:

VI Bob

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
I agree with your point but I live on an island and there is only one Ford dealer here so only one place to get work done under warranty (the problem started with less than 3,000 miles on the vehicle). They are not interested in hearing my thoughts or suggestions. I appreciate your comment and will take a look at the video you sent. Thank you!

First Name
Santiago
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport 1.5 BigBend
Hi again, I've noticed that the noise doesn't occur when the car is accelerating slowly in sport mode while going over the bumps, and it's only audible when driving over it with the front left wheel. I'm showing you the noise in a video so you can identify if it's the same as what you have. Please remember that they have replaced the left CV axle and the noise continues.

Sponsored