hoyarius

Outer Banks
First Name
Shin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sports
Hi. I am Bronco Sport 2022 OB user. I love this car, but this has a couple of noise problems.

The most annoying thing is that I can hear some grinding or rattling noise from the rear end or underneath the cargo while the vehicle is running. Because of this issue, I took my new car 3~4 times to Ford service centers since I purchased this one last December. They said they did something, but apparently, it hasn't gone away. But, these days, the level of noise getting bigger, so I'll visit them again. And, I found out this occurs when the transaction control is turned on (Thanks to this forum!). BTW, is there anyone who solved this issue? I'll tell the Ford server center the reason for this noise (how to make it happen), but I'm worrying they may say it's normal again.

I don't think this is normal because other vehicles never have this sort of noise when the transaction control is on.

* Aug/26th Update
At the service center, they said Ford is aware of this type of concern, but Ford has no solution for this until September. The service center requested me to visit the center around Oct. One glad thing is that Ford admits this is an issue.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
Take the service advisor for a ride to demonstrate the noise to them.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
What @Bucko said. If I'm not mistaken, there is a TSB to replace fluid in the rear differential to address noise complaints.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Hi. I am Bronco Sport 2022 OB user. I love this car, but this has a couple of noise problems.

The most annoying thing is that I can hear some grinding or rattling noise from the rear end or underneath the cargo while the vehicle is running. Because of this issue, I took my new car 3~4 times to Ford service centers since I purchased this one last December. They said they did something, but apparently, it hasn't gone away. But, these days, the level of noise getting bigger, so I'll visit them again. And, I found out this occurs when the transaction control is turned on (Thanks to this forum!). BTW, is there anyone who solved this issue? I'll tell the Ford server center the reason for this noise (how to make it happen), but I'm worrying they may say it's normal again.

I don't think this is normal because other vehicles never have this sort of noise when the transaction control is on.
Hi there! Will you send us a message with your VIN and your local Ford dealer? I can look into things on my end.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
The most annoying thing is that I can hear some grinding or rattling noise from the rear end or underneath the cargo while the vehicle is running.
You can find the Special Service Message (SSM) posted below on Ford's customer support website. Go to www.ford.com/support and log in. If you haven't logged in before you'll have to create an account. Once logged in, scroll down and look for "Technical Service Information." Click on that and you'll find a list of known issues that may be addressed with a Technical Service Bulleting (TSB). For example:

SSM 51823 2019-2023 Edge/Nautilus, 2020-2023 Escape/Corsair, 2021-2023 Bronco Sport, 2022-2023 Maverick - AWD - Chatter/Shudder During Low Speed Turning Events
Some 2019-2023 Edge/Nautilus, 2020-2023 Escape/Corsair, 2021-2023 Bronco Sport, 2022-2023 Maverick vehicles equipped with all wheel drive (AWD) may exhibit chatter/shudder during low speed turning events. This may be due to fluid contamination in the rear drive unit (RDU). Drain and refill the RDU, refer to Workshop Manual Section (WSM) 205-02. Drive for 5 miles (8 km) in stop and go conditions with right and left turns and re-evaluate. If the issue is still present, continue with normal WSM diagnostics. For claiming, use base (4000) causal part.

OP
OP

hoyarius

Outer Banks
First Name
Shin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sports
You can find the Special Service Message (SSM) posted below on Ford's customer support website. Go to www.ford.com/support and log in. If you haven't logged in before you'll have to create an account. Once logged in, scroll down and look for "Technical Service Information." Click on that and you'll find a list of known issues that may be addressed with a Technical Service Bulleting (TSB). For example:
Mark S.
Thanks for the tips. I'll take a look at Ford website as well. :)

houstonlaw

Big Bend
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
I’ve got the same issue with my daughter’s new 2023 Bronco Sport Big Bend. I have about 500 miles on it. There’s a high frequency, grinding type noise that starts whenever the car is in motion at any speed. When I turn off the traction control - the noise goes off like you’re turning off a switch. Turn the traction control on, and the noise comes right back. It’s been at the dealership for three days. Two techs have taken it out and say they hear nothing. I even drove around with my tech and turned the traction control off and on which made the noise go on and off and the tech said he couldn’t hear it, but that he had bad hearing. Starting to run out of patience. I’m going back in tomorrow for another drive with another tech.

Wondering if anyone has had any success at a dealership, identifying and fixing the problem. Trying to figure out which direction to go with this.

So far, just a bunch of techs telling me I’m hearing sounds that don’t exist.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
I’ve got the same issue with my daughter’s new 2023 Bronco Sport Big Bend. I have about 500 miles on it. There’s a high frequency, grinding type noise that starts whenever the car is in motion at any speed. When I turn off the traction control - the noise goes off like you’re turning off a switch. Turn the traction control on, and the noise comes right back. It’s been at the dealership for three days. Two techs have taken it out and say they hear nothing. I even drove around with my tech and turned the traction control off and on which made the noise go on and off and the tech said he couldn’t hear it, but that he had bad hearing. Starting to run out of patience. I’m going back in tomorrow for another drive with another tech.

Wondering if anyone has had any success at a dealership, identifying and fixing the problem. Trying to figure out which direction to go with this.

So far, just a bunch of techs telling me I’m hearing sounds that don’t exist.
Hey, Travis. This noise concern doesn’t sound like something we want you to experience with your daughter's Bronco Sport. Could you please send us a PM with the VIN and the name and location of the Ford servicing dealer it's currently located? To send a private message, just click on our username and select "Start Conversation". I'd be happy to look into how I can assist you on my end.

houstonlaw

Big Bend
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
UPDATE: Took the Bronco Sport into two different Ford dealerships. One dealership service manager went for a ride and finally agreed that he heard the noise and that it did not sound normal. I left it with the dealership for a few days and then got a phone call from the service manager saying he talked to Ford, and that Ford told him this was a “normal noise“ from the rear drive unit and there was no fix. The other dealership, where the car was purchased, but 40 miles from where I live, said that they had received 12 cars in the past few months all complaining of the same noise issue and that the fix was to replace the oil in the rear axle with a different viscosity of oil. They did this and gave it back to me and the noise is exactly the same.

Ford customer service responded to my complaint on this forum and offered to put me through the “buyback“ procedure. I provided them all the service records I had and completed their forms and answered all their questions. A few days later I was told that Ford had not agreed to buy the car back.

I’ve now sent Ford and the dealership a deceptive trade practices act letter requesting that they replace the vehicle or buy it back within 60 days. If they don’t respond to this, I’ll be filing a lawsuit against Ford and the dealership. Sad that it has come to this. Never would’ve imagined I’d have so much trouble getting a car manufacturer to resolve such an obvious problem on a brand new vehicle.

I will post with further updates.
Sponsored