Y2Dre

Badlands
First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
I have over 73,000 FordPass Rewards points that are burning a hole in my pocket. I want to order the rear bumper protector and the textured Aeroskin Hood Protector. But, I'm worried about the adhesive used for each item. What if I want to remove any of the items at a later date due to change of heart or deterioration?

Can anyone with experience with adhesive-based mods let me know what happens to the paint if you want to remove the product? Do they remove easily or will there be unavoidable paint damage? Or, am I making a mountain out of a molehill?

Thanks...
Sponsored

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
thats one of my concerns with the hood shield. The bumper protector I don't think is as big of an issue. I plan to purchase one of those knowing stuff getting dragged out of the back is bound to cause issues.

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
I have over 73,000 FordPass Rewards points that are burning a hole in my pocket. I want to order the rear bumper protector and the textured Aeroskin Hood Protector. But, I'm worried about the adhesive used for each item. What if I want to remove any of the items at a later date due to change of heart or deterioration?

Can anyone with experience with adhesive-based mods let me know what happens to the paint if you want to remove the product? Do they remove easily or will there be unavoidable paint damage? Or, am I making a mountain out of a molehill?

Thanks...
I did a lot of vehicle reconditioning when I was younger. The biggest problem with removing any accessory/sticker/shield/bra is that the paint underneath will be a different color due to being shielded from the sun. Obviously this is worse the longer it was on the vehicle. Iā€™ve removed many a bumper sticker from a hatchback only to see a big rectangle of paint that no longer matched the rest of the vehicle.

OP
OP
Y2Dre

Y2Dre

Badlands
First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did a lot of vehicle reconditioning when I was younger. The biggest problem with removing any accessory/sticker/shield/bra is that the paint underneath will be a different color due to being shielded from the sun. Obviously this is worse the longer it was on the vehicle. Iā€™ve removed many a bumper sticker from a hatchback only to see a big rectangle of paint that no longer matched the rest of the vehicle.
So...the million dollar question is what's worse: paint damage due to an unprotected hood or paint discoloration due to a covered hood. Decisions, decisions...

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
So...the million dollar question is what's worse: paint damage due to an unprotected hood or paint discoloration due to a covered hood. Decisions, decisions...
for me...damage is easier to repair a chip vs the entire length of the hood discolored. I am pretty confident I am not adding the hood deflector at this point.

OP
OP
Y2Dre

Y2Dre

Badlands
First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
for me...damage is easier to repair a chip vs the entire length of the hood discolored. I am pretty confident I am not adding the hood deflector at this point.
I'm actually leaning that way myself. But, I posed the question anyway because while I've seen multiple threads about the installation and look of the hood protectors, I never see anything about the dangers of using them. I'm pretty sure I'm going to pull the trigger on the rear bumper protector, too. I bought the interior bike rack and I don't want me and my daughter's bikes scraping my bumper during loads and unloads.

I appreciate the advice.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I'm actually leaning that way myself. But, I posed the question anyway because while I've seen multiple threads about the installation and look of the hood protectors, I never see anything about the dangers of using them. I'm pretty sure I'm going to pull the trigger on the rear bumper protector, too. I bought the interior bike rack and I don't want me and my daughter's bikes scraping my bumper during loads and unloads.

I appreciate the advice.
I appreciate the questions honestly. I had asked my own inquiring about effectiveness of the hood protector, how much it helped etc. The point made about adhesives, and more specifically sun fade, pretty much sold it for me. questions never hurt, likely others in the same quandry. And likewise, one of the main intents of my sport purchase was mountain bike hauling...so yep we are on the same page.

Weston52

Big Bend
First Name
Weston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Solara, 91 Miata
Not actually an answer but possibly a useful data point. When I was first shopping for my Big Bend I was thinking white but then spotted a cactus gray and changed my mind immediately. Problem was the dealer had installed one of those totally useless big black rubber hood scoops on it. I suggested that I would buy the vehicle if that could be removed but the bodyshop reported that they had no confidence they could do so without damaging the hood surface.
I recently burned my points on the hood deflector and bumper protector and Iā€™m confident neither is ever coming off!

Bigbend410

Big Bend
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
BB model carbon gray. Driving toward sun early or late in the day I get bad glare off of the hood bulges. Wondering if anyone else has this problem? If so does anyone have a possible solution?

rdc17

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BL+BL
I would like the hood deflector to help keep bugs off the windshield but having a wrapped PPF hood I'm afraid the adhesive might mess up the PPF if I ever go to remove it.

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
BB model carbon gray. Driving toward sun early or late in the day I get bad glare off of the hood bulges. Wondering if anyone else has this problem? If so does anyone have a possible solution?
Subaruā€˜s latest Outback has a matte black section of vinyl (I think) on the hood for this very reason. Somewhere on this site someone was offering various graphics for the BS, there might be a hood option that would help you.

Last edited:

GT1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw x1, 1965 mustang GT convert
Long discussion here. Hood bulge glare | 2021+ Ford Bronco Sport Forum - Broncosportforum.com
My solution was simple one to put 6x7 piece of matte black on bumps that reflect light. Works great. Could be integrated with other graphics if you want something fancier.
Sponsored