Question about secure idle / police idle for dogs being transported

jaysen

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
First off, I apologize if my question/request is in the wrong section - I felt it most appropriately fits here; I've been wrong many times (ask my wife) before. My work will provide me with a 2021 Bronco Sport (lucky me) to chauffeur my four-legged friend around, and I have a few reservations about their choice, but most likely because I know nothing about the vehicle, not the dog. For starters, my dog will not be in the car like a police service dog and its handler. Stating the obvious, but the Bronco will solely be used to transport him around and occasionally leave him in for no more than an hour-ish at a time - assuming I cannot take him with me.

Having said that, I will need to be able to leave the Bronco running with the AC on while I am away. Although I won't be more than 100 yards away at any given time, I would like the peace of mind of knowing I can leave the car running with the AC and he'll be safe/comfortable. I am wondering if I can equip the Bronco with a feature similar to their Ford Police Interceptors that have the 'police idle' where a button can be pressed, the key taken out of the ignition, and then left running without being able to put the vehicle into gear. Perhaps this is something the Bronco can already do by just taking a keyfob out (assuming its a fob, I don't even know if the vehicle I am getting is a physical key or keyfob)

With the above in mind, do you think I will need to ask my work to beef up the electrical system (alternator/battery) to allow the vehicle to sit idle with the AC on?

Does anyone travel regularly with a dog in the rear cargo space? I am thinking I request one of these: https://mimvariocage.com/product/mim-safe-variocage-single/ as opposed to a traditional crate (gunner crate) or letting him have free reign in the rear passenger seats. Thoughts?

Thanks!
Sponsored

TheDeadlySpaceman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS
Some Bronco Sports have a keyless entry system that would allow you to leave the fob in the car with it running. I don’t know if it’s standard across all trims/model years, but I’ve done it with my 22 Badlands. I did it so my mother could listen to the radio. Same basic thing.

She didn’t need a travel cage in the cargo area so I can’t help you there.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
You can get out of the car then perform a remote start. Following a remote start you cannot drive the vehicle without the fob. The only problem is time: the vehicle will only idle for 15 minutes before shutting itself down. You can extend the time for an additional 15 minutes, but the maximum time you can idle following a remote start is 30 minutes.

You may be able to get out and lock the doors after starting, but I don't know how the system would respond.

OP
OP

jaysen

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
You can get out of the car then perform a remote start. Following a remote start you cannot drive the vehicle without the fob. The only problem is time: the vehicle will only idle for 15 minutes before shutting itself down. You can extend the time for an additional 15 minutes, but the maximum time you can idle following a remote start is 30 minutes.

You may be able to get out and lock the doors after starting, but I don't know how the system would respond.
Thanks for the reply... I asked if the vehicle was equipped with a physical key/ignition or keyfob + push to start, and was told physical key - weird, in this day and age.

OP
OP

jaysen

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Some Bronco Sports have a keyless entry system that would allow you to leave the fob in the car with it running. I don’t know if it’s standard across all trims/model years, but I’ve done it with my 22 Badlands. I did it so my mother could listen to the radio. Same basic thing.

She didn’t need a travel cage in the cargo area so I can’t help you there.
Do you know if the keyless systems allow the vehicle to run/idle until shut off or out of gas? It's unfortunate the mother did need a travel cage :rockon::sunglasses:

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the reply... I asked if the vehicle was equipped with a physical key/ignition or keyfob + push to start, and was told physical key - weird, in this day and age.
All Bronco Sports can be remote started using the FordPass app.

For others' edification, I did a test. I started my Badlands (pushbutton with fob), then got out with the fob. I got the two-honk notification and saw the no-fob warning on the instrument display. I locked the car using the SecuriLock keypad, then walked away with the fob--the car kept running. I left the fob sitting approx 10 feet away from the car, then walked back and unlocked it using the SecuriLock keypad. I got back in, closed the door. I got the two-honk notification and the no-fob warning on the instrument panel. Then I tried, but could not put the car into gear.

TL;DR: You can start the car, get out, lock it, and not worry that someone will break a window and drive away with your car.

OP
OP

jaysen

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
All Bronco Sports can be remote started using the FordPass app.

For others' edification, I did a test. I started my Badlands (pushbutton with fob), then got out with the fob. I got the two-honk notification and saw the no-fob warning on the instrument display. I locked the car using the SecuriLock keypad, then walked away with the fob--the car kept running. I left the fob sitting approx 10 feet away from the car, then walked back and unlocked it using the SecuriLock keypad. I got back in, closed the door. I got the two-honk notification and the no-fob warning on the instrument panel. Then I tried, but could not put the car into gear.

TL;DR: You can start the car, get out, lock it, and not worry that someone will break a window and drive away with your car.
That is GREAT NEWS, assuming I have the same packages/features 🤞

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you know if the keyless systems allow the vehicle to run/idle until shut off or out of gas? It's unfortunate the mother did need a travel cage :rockon::sunglasses:
For fob-equipped vehicles the max idle time is 30 minutes. You can override the timer (directions in owner's manual), but the override is only good for the current engine start cycle. When you shut the engine off the 30 minute max idle timer resets. In other words, you must override the timer every time you start the engine. As far as I know, the engine will idle until the tank is empty once you override the timer. There's nothing in the manual about a secondary timer.

TheDeadlySpaceman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS
Do you know if the keyless systems allow the vehicle to run/idle until shut off or out of gas?
I’d have to assume so. The keyless entry is just a keypad that unlocks the door when a code is input, you don’t have to activate it or anything. From the car’s perspective, it’s just running at idle with the fob in it and the doors locked, same as if you’re sitting in it making a phone call or listening to the radio.

The one caveat here is just that I don’t have a deep breadth of knowledge about features across all trim levels/model years- I didn’t know there were Bronco Sports that required the use of a physical key, for example. For all I know the specific car in question doesn’t even have a keyless entry feature, or might not keep running with just the fob.

GT1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw x1, 1965 mustang GT convert
First off, I apologize if my question/request is in the wrong section - I felt it most appropriately fits here; I've been wrong many times (ask my wife) before. My work will provide me with a 2021 Bronco Sport (lucky me) to chauffeur my four-legged friend around, and I have a few reservations about their choice, but most likely because I know nothing about the vehicle, not the dog. For starters, my dog will not be in the car like a police service dog and its handler. Stating the obvious, but the Bronco will solely be used to transport him around and occasionally leave him in for no more than an hour-ish at a time - assuming I cannot take him with me.

Having said that, I will need to be able to leave the Bronco running with the AC on while I am away. Although I won't be more than 100 yards away at any given time, I would like the peace of mind of knowing I can leave the car running with the AC and he'll be safe/comfortable. I am wondering if I can equip the Bronco with a feature similar to their Ford Police Interceptors that have the 'police idle' where a button can be pressed, the key taken out of the ignition, and then left running without being able to put the vehicle into gear. Perhaps this is something the Bronco can already do by just taking a keyfob out (assuming its a fob, I don't even know if the vehicle I am getting is a physical key or keyfob)

With the above in mind, do you think I will need to ask my work to beef up the electrical system (alternator/battery) to allow the vehicle to sit idle with the AC on?

Does anyone travel regularly with a dog in the rear cargo space? I am thinking I request one of these: https://mimvariocage.com/product/mim-safe-variocage-single/ as opposed to a traditional crate (gunner crate) or letting him have free reign in the rear passenger seats. Thoughts?

Thanks!
I have this in 21 BSBL and it fits nicely behind the front sets. Back sets can then be either up or down depending on how much room your dog needs to roam around. One issue may be "do-gooders" calling police for leaving dog in car unattended - happens to a friend of mine on a regular basis.
Amazon.com: Bushwhacker Deluxe Dog Barrier 56" Wide - Ideal for Trucks, Large SUVs, Full Sized Sedans - Pet Restraint Car Backseat Divider Vehicle Gate Cargo Area Travel Trunk Mesh Net Screen Barricade : Pet Supplies

OP
OP

jaysen

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I have this in 21 BSBL and it fits nicely behind the front sets. Back sets can then be either up or down depending on how much room your dog needs to roam around. One issue may be "do-gooders" calling police for leaving dog in car unattended - happens to a friend of mine on a regular basis.
Amazon.com: Bushwhacker Deluxe Dog Barrier 56" Wide - Ideal for Trucks, Large SUVs, Full Sized Sedans - Pet Restraint Car Backseat Divider Vehicle Gate Cargo Area Travel Trunk Mesh Net Screen Barricade : Pet Supplies
Thanks for the suggestion! As for the kennel, I think I have settled on the MIM VarioGate or some variant of it. It offers the best crash protection and room with the benefits of being 'portable.' I personally don't mind having him in the passenger compartment, but I noticed seats appeared too high/tall for him to get in and out of easily.

Sirwallace

Base
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
I’d have to assume so. The keyless entry is just a keypad that unlocks the door when a code is input, you don’t have to activate it or anything. From the car’s perspective, it’s just running at idle with the fob in it and the doors locked, same as if you’re sitting in it making a phone call or listening to the radio.

The one caveat here is just that I don’t have a deep breadth of knowledge about features across all trim levels/model years- I didn’t know there were Bronco Sports that required the use of a physical key, for example. For all I know the specific car in question doesn’t even have a keyless entry feature, or might not keep running with just the fob.
The base model is the one with the physical key and doesn't have the keypad entry.

pkmed

Outer Banks
First Name
V
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport Outer Banks
As others have already said, the Fordpass app is great for this. When travelling with my dog in my previous 2017 escape (RIP), I would exit the vehicle, lock it, then activate the remote start in the fordpass app to turn on AC. Typically that wasn't longer than 10-15 mins but I could extend the time in the app if it was going to take longer.

Couldn't tell you about the travel cages as I let him wonder free in the cargo area or put the seats down (90lb lab).

OP
OP

jaysen

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Here’s an update for those that end up searching and coming across my original post.

I ended up finding this company (no affiliation):http://www.secure-idle.com/index.html

They offer secure idle for many “stock” (I.e. base vehicles with physical keys and NO push button start) vehicles. I ultimately purchased one compatible with my BS and had it installed last week. Works like a charm. I can start the vehicle, remove the key, and leave it running as long as I want/need. If someone were to break in and attempt to put the vehicle into gear or stepping on break/gas the ignition kills.
Sponsored