Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
My sister n law dropped her cell phone in her big glass of iced tea once, it submerged itself. She yanked it out and it was a dead dog.
She put in on a towel on a table on the porch and went to work.
Came home and it was fine. Worked from then on....
Sponsored

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
I can't believe it's not dual channel safety circuits that would detect shorts so it would not go into reverse @ 60mph
Another place I will have to pack dielectric grease into...I like my coffee
The transmission ECU will never allow shifting into reverse while the car is moving forward.

DISCOLEG

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
The transmission ECU will never allow shifting into reverse while the car is moving forward.
I hope so.
Original post made me think it did.

OP
OP
Ultraspaz

Ultraspaz

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
Most likely I had stopped enough when I pulled over for it to switch. It went into reverse twice while trying to pull forward without any input to selector from me.

OP
OP
Ultraspaz

Ultraspaz

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ensure you report this to Ford in some way/shape/form. If it is a real problem for the overall model then they've got things to fix.

Honestly though it sounds more like a fluke. As others have said, this shifter is used elsewhere already and I'm sure your not the first person to spill anything while driving. Sounds more like your car has a bad gasket (or however the shifter knob is water resistant). Maybe worth your local ford service taking a look into for you. That would definitely be a warranty type fix.
I spoke to a service manager and his reply was yes its likely the splash shorted out the circuits. I asked the same question we all have, are these switches protected from splashes? He really didn't know. The Bronco Sport seems to be uncharted territory to them since it's still so new but the rotary switches are not.

I have an appointment to have the switches checked, cleaned and replaced as needed under warranty. He also said they would add extra dielectric grease to the components which to me is just a band-aid not a solution.

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
Most likely I had stopped enough when I pulled over for it to switch. It went into reverse twice while trying to pull forward without any input to selector from me.
Yes, more than likely that is what happened. You were slow enough that the ECU decided reverse was ok.

That rotary switch simply sends a signal to the transmission ECU. If the ECU agrees with the selection, it changes gear.

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
I hope so.
Original post made me think it did.
It’s a safety device that cars have had for decades. Watch the “Mythbusters” episode where they try to force cars into reverse while driving forward. Short version: can’t happen, even with a manual transmission.

tatiasport

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Am I the only one that wants the shifter back on the column?
The center console has less and less space with these console shifters, and now dials....I’m just too old for “progress“ I guess.

But also never went rock crawling either....so there must be some advantages I don’t realize.
No :( The location of the shifter is the worst. My dog shifted me into neutral going 80 km down a gravel highway. That was interesting haha.

It also doesn't feel safe? I remember driving my old manual shifting VW Golf, and to get in reverse, you had to actually MEAN it. The dial on the Bronco Sport shifts like nothing. Maybe it's just me, but I would like a tiny bit of resistance?

erickbe

First Name
Erick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda3
I finally found a BS to test drive last Friday and like the BS but this shifter dial on console I missed or overlooked in my research until I test drove it.

did the car drive normally for the original poster after they pulled to side and restarted?

this post about the car acting eratic has me thinking twice if I should proceed with ordering one. I am looking at a badlands and know it will be a long time if I pull the trigger.

I have console dials on my 2014 mazda3 and over time stuff spilled on them making the controls on the dial sticky and such and cleaned it up right away. Having a shifter dial on console needs to work all the time.

This is first I've seen
Dial for shifter but looks like genesis uses it to. I wish it had more resistance or had to push down to change it but in test drive it just changed easy...

What happens if it stops working if more then a few drops get in?

this is supposed to be a off-road'ish vehicle to so chances of stuff splashing in and getting on it are possible to. Glad it didn't go crazy on a trail or mountain road with cliff on one side.

Maybe someone will make a cover for it.
How many people here run into shifter dial mishaps?

moserp624

Outer Banks
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport, Mazda CX-5
Ford Bronco Sport PSA: Coffee / Liquid Spill Shorts Out Gear Indicator s-l400

Plexiglass cover for your shifter? Easy mod.

OP
OP
Ultraspaz

Ultraspaz

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I got the BS back from the dealer. They couldn't replicate what happened but then they didn't pour any liquid on the switches either. Curiously there were no error codes. They cleaned a little residue off, tested the system and added dielectric grease to the switches. .

I'm still curious if this was just a fluke of a perfect slop of coffee or something the Bronco Sport is going to be prone to. We'll only find out when someone else drops some fluid onto the switches. I can't help but think this is a pretty significant engineering error to have a supposed off road vehicle that could be temporarily disabled by a splash of liquid. What would of happened if I couldn't fix it by sucking out the coffee. What if I was on an incline, or in the desert or on an isolated snowy lumber road. A splash of liquid from a closely placed cup holder shouldn't disable the vehicle even if temporarily.

Flash

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I finally pulled off the road and warnings continued to flash on the dash. The only thing I could think of was the old westerns when the snake bit cowboy "sucked the poison out". Yep, I bent over and sucked the coffee out of all the selector knobs. I'm sure I'm on a youtube video somewhere but it worked and the BS returned to normal operations. No problems at all since but what was Ford thinking when they put unprotected selector switches next to cup holders. I feel I got off easy in that the damage wasn't permanent and I drink my coffee black so there was no sticky residue in the buttons.
I keep thinking about your post and laughing (no offense).

I'd pay serious money to watch somebody suck the coffee out of selector knobs.