ErikaFrzn

Big Bend
First Name
Erika
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Bronco Sport, '15 Explorer, ‘22 Trail Boss
I have some questions about rock chip protection options. I will be going on some long road trips soon and am trying to figure out the best option to protect the front end of the BS against rocks, etc. As far as I have seen, there are a couple of options, a bug deflector or ppf. I have some concerns about the bug deflector, first being aesthetics, don’t really like the look. The aeroskin II looks like it would offer more protection due to having the raised lip, but that’s exactly what I don’t like about it. I prefer aeroskin I, but would think it offers less protection due to its being so low profile. Any insight would be helpful.

Next, ppf, would Xpel on the front end be better protection for my needs? I am leaning towards this because it keeps the stock look and offers more protection than just a bug deflector. My only concern, is it enough protection against rocks during expressway driving?

I would love for anyone that has ppf to chime in as to whether or not it does protect against rocks well. My previous vehicle has a number of paint chips on the hood from expressway drives.
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Dark

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
PPF will absolutely offer more universal chip protection while also keeping the look of your vehicle the same. PPF also offers abrasion and chemical protection on top of that.

The Aeroskin II doesn't look great but does protect the leading edge of your hood from damage (same goes for the Aeroskin I) but the raised portion does aid in reducing stone and bugs from reaching your windshield. One other potential downside with both Aeroskin options is that you risk uneven paint fade which is only a potential issue if it gets removed years down the line.

Benanza

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
A friend had his last lease car wrapped with a clear wrap. When they took it off at the end of the lease not a single mark. He had his next wrapped too. After the first year the hood took a big rock, so it had to be rewrapped but still not a mark on the actual finish.

BronzeSmokeBadlands

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've had xpel PPF put on several on my cars, no problems! Totally worth the money. I just had my new BS wrapped in PPF as well, this time by a different installer and they used a brand called SunTeck PPF. So far so good!.....

I recommend doing the headlights, partial hood, fenders and lower painted front bumper piece. They were unable to do the grille, did not have a pattern for the Badlands grille. Plus the grille is almost flat in color....anyways better than not doing any PPF....

I also had them do the A and B pillars, the door cups, a piece along the bottom hatch, the door sills, and about 6" along the bottom of the doors.... this will give protection off-roading.

You can do literally the whole car if money was no object LOL

I paid $950 in Oregon

OP
OP
ErikaFrzn

ErikaFrzn

Big Bend
First Name
Erika
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am definitely gonna be more mindful of my distance now…..
It seems I will be going with ppf, thanks for the input

Elegance

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I hate to be the devil's advocate, but I feel like hood chipping is unpreventable. It's the first damage to occur after you drive a new vehicle off the lot and is to be expected throughout the lifetime of any vehicle. You can apply PPF and it definitely helps to reduce the severity of each occurrence, but the road has a way of eating up hood paint regardless of the protective measures we take. If you're planning on keeping the vehicle for the entire life of that vehicle, I'd just buy a touch up pen and enjoy the ride. If there is pressure to maintain trade-in value, drive it as carefully as possible and then look into protective measures on top of that.

Reactions: MJE

Dark

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I hate to be the devil's advocate, but I feel like hood chipping is unpreventable. It's the first damage to occur after you drive a new vehicle off the lot and is to be expected throughout the lifetime of any vehicle. You can apply PPF and it definitely helps to reduce the severity of each occurrence, but the road has a way of eating up hood paint regardless of the protective measures we take. If you're planning on keeping the vehicle for the entire life of that vehicle, I'd just buy a touch up pen and enjoy the ride. If there is pressure to maintain trade-in value, drive it as carefully as possible and then look into protective measures on top of that.
~70k on the last vehicle I had with Xpel PPF since new and the front end was immaculate, not a single sign of damage anywhere yet I still went through 2 windshields due to rocks.

BronzeSmokeBadlands

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am definitely gonna be more mindful of my distance now…..
It seems I will be going with ppf, thanks for the input
That definitely helps too, like 400 feet back lol.... especially when following Semi's and obviously any gravel/sand trucks....The one problems I find though with following far back is, other drivers will weave in and out of your lane more, often making things worse.

As others have said, inevitably chips happen, but PPF helps and protects against id say 90% of chips.....plus having PPF makes washing and drying easier/ zero maintenance, IE no waxing.....

OP
OP
ErikaFrzn

ErikaFrzn

Big Bend
First Name
Erika
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That definitely helps too, like 400 feet back lol.... especially when following Semi's and obviously any gravel/sand trucks....The one problems I find though with following far back is, other drivers will weave in and out of your lane more, often making things worse.

As others have said, inevitably chips happen, but PPF helps and protects against id say 90% of chips.....plus having PPF makes washing and drying easier/ zero maintenance, IE no waxing.....
Semis are the main problem since I live in a major port of entry so I have come accept rock chips will happen, I just want to do what I can to prevent as much as possible. As per the traffic situation, I know exactly what you’re talking about especially since I actually try to follow the Driver’s Ed taught 2 second rule (at a minimum) and so everyone tries to pass me up and then just gets between me and the truck I was following. Luckily, passenger vehicles don’t throw the massive boulders semis tend to.
Edit: note to self, don’t follow semis lol

Blue oval fan

Big Bend
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport
Will be dropping off my BS Tuesday for xpel ppf. So far we are doing the full hood, painted bumper strip, partial roof, a-pillars headlights. Lots of highway driving. My Focus RS had the same treatment and 65k miles later it looks brand new. I'm a big fan of ppf.

Barry S.

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
aside from physical modifications
extending distance when following other vehicles
if you're not going to pass them then hang back....way back
Especially those trucks with a sign on the back saying 'not responsible for windshield damage.'

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
I think that PPF on the whole hood would be the only way to really protect it. I will say that if you are a person that really values a good looking car and spends the time/effort to make it that way, that PPF will be a disappointment over time. It looks good, but it will never look as good as fully detailed paint. Over time, the PPF does protect the paint but also starts to degrade from absorbing those rocks. I really had high hopes for it when I did the entire front of a new car. For the average person, it looks great. If you like high gloss deep shine, you will be disappointed.

Just my experience thrown into the mix.

Suzysparks

First Name
Stacy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura MDX Type S
I have SunTek Reaction PPF on my Acura MDX Type S. I did the full front and paid around $2100 and it’s been worth every penny. I can see where it’s already protected the front of the car from ‘flying objects”. I’m debating whether or not I spend the money when our Bronco Sport Heritage Edition comes in. While I love the PPF and ceramic coating, the downside is no automatic car washes, even brushless. So no more being lazy when it comes to car care. I do agree that every car will suffer from paint chips, but it does seem that a lot of people on this forum and the Maverick Truck forum have complained about the paint. I still have months to think about it. 😉
Sponsored