Protection from Rock Chips

Tall Timbers

Badlands
First Name
Tall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands Bronco Sp, 23 Ford F150 Hybrid (order)
I've got a bug deflector on mine. Right after I bought it my son needed to take it to Anchorage because his car was waiting for service and wasn't driveable. I put a ceramic coating on it and when he brought it back I couldn't find a single rock chip on the vehicle. I've never driven between Fairnbanks and Anchorage and not gotten several rock chips. I washed it again and put another ceramic coating on it... I can't say for sure that it wasn't just luck, but I guess I'll keep applying ceramic coatings to the vehicle to try and keep it nice.
Sponsored

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
I've got a bug deflector on mine. Right after I bought it my son needed to take it to Anchorage because his car was waiting for service and wasn't driveable. I put a ceramic coating on it and when he brought it back I couldn't find a single rock chip on the vehicle. I've never driven between Fairnbanks and Anchorage and not gotten several rock chips. I washed it again and put another ceramic coating on it... I can't say for sure that it wasn't just luck, but I guess I'll keep applying ceramic coatings to the vehicle to try and keep it nice.
The ceramic coating does not protect against rock chips, at least not in any measurable way. I'm assuming also that you are using a ceramic spray that you wipe on/off after washing the car. Not that a product that requires a professional, or someone pretending to be a professional, will protect against rock chips any better. The ceramic coatings (even pro level) are only microns in thickness and at that they are "ceramic" which is brittle. PPF is mils in thickness and a very tough plastic material.

Nice that your son's trip did not net you any rock chips but that was entirely luck.

Tall Timbers

Badlands
First Name
Tall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm assuming also that you are using a ceramic spray that you wipe on/off after washing the car.
The stuff I have came in a little bottle and is applied with a cloth. I also haven't gotten any chips driving around town. My vehicles have always ended up with scores and even hundreds of little rock chips... so I'm not ready to say, yah, it's been luck, even though it might be.

The thickness of the protectant may not be all that important with regards to the protection provided. I don't know.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
The stuff I have came in a little bottle and is applied with a cloth. I also haven't gotten any chips driving around town. My vehicles have always ended up with scores and even hundreds of little rock chips... so I'm not ready to say, yah, it's been luck, even though it might be.

The thickness of the protectant may not be all that important with regards to the protection provided. I don't know.
Okay, you have a proper ceramic coating! Awesome! I have done this for a decade or more and I can attest that rock chips still happen. Good luck in your continued success in not getting rock chips.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
The ceramic coating does not protect against rock chips, at least not in any measurable way. I'm assuming also that you are using a ceramic spray that you wipe on/off after washing the car. Not that a product that requires a professional, or someone pretending to be a professional, will protect against rock chips any better. The ceramic coatings (even pro level) are only microns in thickness and at that they are "ceramic" which is brittle. PPF is mils in thickness and a very tough plastic material.

Nice that your son's trip did not net you any rock chips but that was entirely luck.
I’m also not convinced the bug deflector does much either other than of course where it covers the paint. The boulders I had come off trucks in front of me don’t seem to be affected by the flow of air coming off the front of the car.

I stay back or get past fast when following large construction trucks and trailers. PPF seems to make to most sense if that’s your thing.

Rgill

Badlands
First Name
Vegas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
I finally reached a point of not trying to protect my vehicle to keep it pristine. I traded in my BMW for my new one and I was doing everything to prevent chips and scratches on it. After 5 years it still looked brand new, but cost or work was blech. I look at my FJ and see all the tiny chips after 11 years and she looks ok, lived loved an enjoyed. Including marks from my pups that have now passed on, leaving me wonderful memories with each mark. So here I sit with my new 2022 and all it has is a bug piece on the front and I no longer worry about it. Instead I look forward to off road trips, pin stripes and every other mark that some day will remind me of all the memories made. Sure it wont trade in for as much, but I am OK with that. I know that is an odd point of view but it sure feels great.

Tall Timbers

Badlands
First Name
Tall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Okay, you have a proper ceramic coating! Awesome! I have done this for a decade or more and I can attest that rock chips still happen. Good luck in your continued success in not getting rock chips.
I wouldn't expect the ceramic coating to keep me entirely chip free, but if it reduces the amount of chips, which appears to be a possibility, I'll be well pleased.
Sponsored