Slickrock

Badlands
First Name
Slick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
I’m honestly finding it hard to take you seriously when you refuse to give information about the situation. What car? What year? What fuel? You are using that picture as an example of why we shouldn’t use low octane in a modern vehicles, but don’t actually give any information on what the picture is of. Seems fishy
I'd also suspect here that ethanol mixes, visiting stations regularly with crap in their tanks, and wholesale mixing is a bigger issue than "good" gas from a major brand, even Arco.

Of course, if the BS is that sensitive, I'll go back to the Passport with it's V6.. :sunglasses:
Sponsored

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I’m honestly finding it hard to take you seriously when you refuse to give information about the situation. What car? What year? What fuel? You are using that picture as an example of why we shouldn’t use low octane in a modern vehicles, but don’t actually give any information on what the picture is of. Seems fishy
Premium *IS* 'better' for these engines, in terms of performance. They do run hotter than larger, lower compression, normally aspirated engines. One of the engine management strategies on these small, high-compression, turbocharged engines is to run richer at high RPMs to cool the cylinders -- why they are NOT all that efficient running at those higher RPMs (and contributing to carbon buildup). Timing can certainly be advanced more (for increased performance) with higher octane Premium. But for ordinary use without the expectation of peak performance, Regular in these engines is just fine -- as pointed out in the Owner Manuals.

McBrideless

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Lesabre
Premium *IS* 'better' for these engines, in terms of performance. They do run hotter than larger, lower compression, normally aspirated engines. One of the engine management strategies on these small, high-compression, turbocharged engines is to run richer at high RPMs to cool the cylinders -- why they are NOT all that efficient running at those higher RPMs (and contributing to carbon buildup). Timing can certainly be advanced more (for increased performance) with higher octane Premium. But for ordinary use without the expectation of peak performance, Regular in these engines is just fine -- as pointed out in the Owner Manuals.
Oh yeah, premium is definitely better for peak performance, but it’s a long reach from “slightly lower performance” to “might blow a rod out the side of your engine”.

neosolidus

Badlands
First Name
Willy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M3,Jeep Wrangler JLemon
The picture that I posted is from 5.2l V8 supercharged,it was something that I had on hand and showed what "COULD" happen, what matter is that a boosted engine running lean is bad and if you create the conditions for the engine to go lean there is an extremely high chance that you will get a hole on the side of the engine.

Running regular gas will be fine for 95% of engines, my question is do you want to roll the dice? personally gas is so cheap that I rather run the best I can, I run premium non-ethanol even on my lawnmower and I have never had to do an induction service(which is common on direct injected vehicles) or any carbon related problems to date on any of my vehicles,bikes and boat.

Having unprotected sex has 99% chance of being safe but I still don't want to risk getting (insert STD) even if it is 1% chance so I apply the same principle to gas, anyways I could care less whether you or anyone else takes me seriously or not since I have nothing to gain from it, I was just trying to pass along a word of caution based on my personal experience with tons of turbo vehicles.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
With enough hunting you can find all kinds of engine failure stores.
This one I will assume is valid but still only one in how many thousands of engines running how many millions of miles.
Pushed to it's limits and then attaching the failure partially to a fuel octane level,, ok but still.
I can find cases of 98 year old people who smoked a pack a day and died of natural causes.
If I was the type of driver who pushed my motors near max power I would run 93..
But I like most of us do not drive like that....

Huntyeraws

Big Bend
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford BS BB
Well, a quick image search found that the image was from an article regarding a 1000 HP 2020 Shelby Mustang GT500 2020 Shelby GT500 Blown Motor Suffers Extensive Damage: Video (fordauthority.com)

McBrideless

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Lesabre
The picture that I posted is from 5.2l V8 supercharged,it was something that I had on hand and showed what "COULD" happen, what matter is that a boosted engine running lean is bad and if you create the conditions for the engine to go lean there is an extremely high chance that you will get a hole on the side of the engine.

Running regular gas will be fine for 95% of engines, my question is do you want to roll the dice? personally gas is so cheap that I rather run the best I can, I run premium non-ethanol even on my lawnmower and I have never had to do an induction service(which is common on direct injected vehicles) or any carbon related problems to date on any of my vehicles,bikes and boat.

Having unprotected sex has 99% chance of being safe but I still don't want to risk getting (insert STD) even if it is 1% chance so I apply the same principle to gas, anyways I could care less whether you or anyone else takes me seriously or not since I have nothing to gain from it, I was just trying to pass along a word of caution based on my personal experience with tons of turbo vehicles.
Well, a quick image search found that the image was from an article regarding a 1000 HP 2020 Shelby Mustang GT500 2020 Shelby GT500 Blown Motor Suffers Extensive Damage: Video (fordauthority.com)
Hold on, so you took a picture of a muscle car that was suped up to 1000HP! that blew up during a street race and used that to as an example of why a stock SUV shouldn’t use anything lower than 93 octane?

I have no words.

neosolidus

Badlands
First Name
Willy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hold on, so you took a picture of a muscle car that was suped up to 1000HP! that blew up during a street race and used that to as an example of why a stock SUV shouldn’t use anything lower than 93 octane?

I have no words.
This is why I didn't want to get into what car or engine it was because someone with very little experience/knowledge of boosted engines would make an asinine comment like that, the same result has happened to the 1.3l the 1.5, the 2.3 and 2.7, a picture of the 5.2l was what I had on hand.

Google what happens on boosted engines when they go lean(low AFR), anyways it was not my goal to start an argument so I will bow out of this thread, peace.

McBrideless

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Lesabre
This is why I didn't want to get into what car or engine it was because someone with very little experience/knowledge of boosted engines would make an asinine comment like that, the same result has happened to the 1.3l the 1.5, the 2.3 and 2.7, a picture of the 5.2l was what I had on hand.

Google what happens on boosted engines when they go lean(low AFR), anyways it was not my goal to start an argument so I will bow out of this thread, peace.
Yeah, if you try to double the power of a boosted engine with tuning you are probably going to have issues. That situation will NEVER happen just from using 87 octane in a stock engine.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know a guy who snapped a timing chain in a toyota pickup pulling a trailer up a long hill in very hot weather, a non turbo engine. He was told engine knock did it and premium fuel would have helped prevent that,,
Helped is the key word.
And how did the toyota dealer mechanic find this out ?
What did the wrench see that told him engine knock was a factor ?
Engines can break under extreme loads but snapping a timming chain in a sub 100k engine,, that's a bold statement.

DakotaTimber

Badlands
First Name
DakotaTimber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL + BL, 360+, tow +
Oof. Been starting to hear about this for the Sport. That significantly raises the cost of driving out here in CA, and good luck trying to get non-ethanol...
I don't have my BL+BL, but on my previous vehicles, if I run premium I get better mileage than if I run the cheap stuff. You will have to do the math, but I have found that it's pretty much a wash when you compare cost per mile. I always try to run top tier, but if a gas station fills it's top tier quota, it can by cheaper stuff, so you have to beware of who you buy from also.

Central Jersey

Big Bend
First Name
Mordechai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport big Bend
I don't have my BL+BL, but on my previous vehicles, if I run premium I get better mileage than if I run the cheap stuff. You will have to do the math, but I have found that it's pretty much a wash when you compare cost per mile. I always try to run top tier, but if a gas station fills it's top tier quota, it can by cheaper stuff, so you have to beware of who you buy from also.
In my Bronco Sport 1.5l I was getting 19mpg combined on 87 octane from BP . I switched to 93 octane and now getting 23mpg combined. Based on the cost of fuel in my area (including the taxes ) I will stick to using 93 octane.
My first 5 tanks were regular. I am on my 4th tank of 93 octane fuel.
my evening commute is full of traffic lights . My morning commute is nice.

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
In my Bronco Sport 1.5l I was getting 19mpg combined on 87 octane from BP . I switched to 93 octane and now getting 23mpg combined. Based on the cost of fuel in my area (including the taxes ) I will stick to using 93 octane.
My first 5 tanks were regular. I am on my 4th tank of 93 octane fuel.
my evening commute is full of traffic lights . My morning commute is nice.
Those numbers are hard to dispute. One thing you might try is a few tanks of 87 again to eliminate any doubt of incremental changes in conditions (seasonal fuel blend transition, weather, etc) that may have influenced the results.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm waiting for summer weather to try 93 in my 1.5L
It would have to do the numbers you show to justify the added cost per gallon.
In all my 47 years of driving I have never personally experienced anything more than less knock in a poorly tuned older engine and at best 1 mpg avg increase in a proper running engine.
Not counting my one time short love affair with a L82 Corvette that actually was tuned for 93 and needed it, ran crappy on 87.
But this is my very first gasoline turbo system.
So I will try it out.
19 to 23 mpg,
That means 26 to 30 for me..
I will have to see it to believe it.

Last edited:

neosolidus

Badlands
First Name
Willy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm waiting for summer weather to try 93 in my 1.5L
It would have to do the numbers you show to justify the added cost per gallon.
In all my 47 years of driving I have never personally experienced anything more than less knock in a poorly tuned older engine and at best 1 mpg avg increase in a proper running engine.
Not counting my one time short love affair with a L82 Corvette that actually was tuned for 93 and needed it, ran crappy on 87.
But this is my very first gasoline turbo system.
So I will try it out.
19 to 23 mpg,
That means 26 to 30 for me..
I will have to see it to believe it.
that would be what's expected on NA engine it just runs poorly, on turbo engines knock forces the engine to go lean and that is very bad for high compression, they tend to go boom.

The computer is supposed to compensate by "detuning it" but it catches up to you eventually.

Remember this, no manufacturer is interested in longevity, they only want it to last long enough to be out of warranty before it breaks.
Sponsored