Angeooo

Outer Banks
First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Quick question : Pre-Collision Assist with Automatic Emergency Braking- can it be calibrated? Can you adjust distance when it works?
Sponsored

Cursed Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Dakota
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I'm not sure if you can, but i would assume not likely.

I don't have emergency braking, but I have the pre collision warning. The distance it works is a joke. The only time it ever trips is when I am simultaneously already hitting the brakes after an adverse event. If you were actually looking away or distracted, you would likely crash imo. There's got to be more of a middle ground between too sensitive and not sensitive enough.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I'm not sure if you can, but i would assume not likely.

I don't have emergency braking, but I have the pre collision warning. The distance it works is a joke. The only time it ever trips is when I am simultaneously already hitting the brakes after an adverse event. If you were actually looking away or distracted, you would likely crash imo. There's got to be more of a middle ground between too sensitive and not sensitive enough.
All Bronco Sports are equipped with Copilot 360, which includes both pre-collision warning and emergency braking. Emergency braking is meant to be an emergency backup, not to prevent a collision. It CAN prevent a collision if the speed differential isn't too great, but it's not guaranteed. It WILL reduce impact force if a collision cannot be avoided. More here:

https://www.motortrend.com/features/ford-copilot-360-safety-features-explained/

Cursed Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Dakota
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
All Bronco Sports are equipped with Copilot 360, which includes both pre-collision warning and emergency braking. Emergency braking is meant to be an emergency backup, not to prevent a collision. It CAN prevent a collision if the speed differential isn't too great, but it's not guaranteed. It WILL reduce impact force if a collision cannot be avoided. More here:

https://www.motortrend.com/features/ford-copilot-360-safety-features-explained/
Interesting. Maybe I do have it then. I've never had it brake for me, but the alarm has went off a couple of times.

Thanks, Mark!

BroncoAngie

Big Bend
First Name
Angie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
my pre-collision warning goes off then I am so far away that it's ridicules - usually if a car is turning off the road and when I am already braking.

davidg4781

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
I’ve only had mine go off once and it was when I was already braking.

I tried to get it to alarm but I don’t want to risk an accident. My mom’s CR-V is pretty easy to set off. I believe both are set to the most sensitivity.

Weston52

Big Bend
First Name
Weston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Solara, 91 Miata
Interesting. Maybe I do have it then. I've never had it brake for me, but the alarm has went off a couple of times.

Thanks, Mark!
I too have triggered the warning screen a few times but never had any sense of braking. I thought that just like I have a backup camera but no audible warning as I get close, perhaps I have a warning screen but no braking?
I wonder about the car ad that has the car suddenly stopping for an unseen parked truck.
Certainly no safe way to test it.

CODIY

Big Bend
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
I too have triggered the warning screen a few times but never had any sense of braking. I thought that just like I have a backup camera but no audible warning as I get close, perhaps I have a warning screen but no braking?
I wonder about the car ad that has the car suddenly stopping for an unseen parked truck.
Certainly no safe way to test it.
There is a setting in the Vehicle menu on the multiuse display that allows you to enable the feature (if available) and the options of just using alerts, alerts and braking, or alerts and braking and evasive steering.

coopny

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BS BL
These systems are sophisticated but not perfect and will err on the side of caution. A cyclist popping out on a turn that's not within lane of the vehicle has triggered the adaptive cruise control braking before, and the pre-collision assist warning. I've also had it when going down hills at decent inclines with steeper curves.

I too have triggered the warning screen a few times but never had any sense of braking.
This is standard behavior. Per the manual:

FoMoCo said:
If your vehicle is rapidly approaching another stationary vehicle, a vehicle traveling in the same direction as yours, or a pedestrian within your driving path, the system provides three levels of functionality:

1. Alert.
  2. Brake support.
  3. Active braking.
Alert: When active, a flashing visual warning appears and an audible warning tone sounds.
Brake support: The system helps reduce the impact speed by preparing the brakes for rapid braking. Brake support does not automatically apply the brakes. If you press the brake pedal, the system could apply additional braking up to maximum braking force, even if you lightly press the brake pedal.
Active braking: It activates if the system determines that a collision is about to occur. The system can help the driver reduce impact damage or completely avoid the crash.
So the system has actually three levels: alert only with the chime/dashboard flashing symbol, assistance to the braking (which can be a slight enhancement to the braking vs. pedal input, all the way to maximum braking with light pedal pressure), and the system actually automatically applying the brakes.

Ideally if you're driving well, you'd only see the alert phase of this functionality (as said earlier, it's not perfect and can interpret certain road elevation changes combined with turns that trigger it, along with cyclists, so never ever seeing the alert seems like a pipe dream, even if you are a very defensive driver.)

KidWiff

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport Heritage
I've had my pre-collision go off 3x in 5k miles.... i'd say only once was sorta legit (at least i understand WHY it went off) the other 2... no idea why but it sure does startle you when it happens!

The one i feel was understandable was on a very sharp 90 degree turn... As i got into the 90 degree, there was a car coming the opposite direction and was midway through the turn so.... ok, i'll give them that, even though there was no actual danger. I'll have to keep a close eye on this moving forward.
Sponsored