tallmansd

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Damn, that is more than mine. I found this chip on the front of the hood. Not on the leading edge though. I don't recall getting hit by a stone or anything.. still disappointing to see one already.
Ford Bronco Sport Paint Issues IMG_2876
Sponsored

tallmansd

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Wow what the heck is going on with that area 51 chips, I have been on this site for 4 months now and all the paint issues have been with that color, at least that is what it seems like to me.Strange situation.
reflection makes it hard to tell, mine is Shadow Black though. I'll have to check around the hood to see if there are any more chips.

ThruDark

First Edition
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Crosstrek
Appreciate the support! I’ve reached out to Ford and have now been waiting two months for a definitive reply on how they’re going to handle it. If I can get them to buy it back I will. I worry this will be an ongoing issue with the rest of the body. This is incredibly frustrating and I wish all of you the best. I’ll let you know how they respond. If you guys hear anything please let me know. My email is [email protected].

DakotaTimber

Badlands
First Name
DakotaTimber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL + BL, 360+, tow +
t
I just emailed my PPF and ceramic coating guy with a couple of ThruDark s pics asking if the door handle pocket would have covered the door nick and if ceramic coating would have helped the rear hood lip. I also asked about ceramic coating keeping the swirls out of the black plastic pillar covers.
The reply back...

It’s hard to say on the door cups, because I haven’t installed any on the Bronco yet, so I’m not sure how big the coverage is, but It would if the film covers that area.

As far as the hood goes I’d say that’s from the wipers hitting the paint when they are lifted up. A way to avoid this is wrap the whole hood which will wrap the edges and protect this area, but we will know more when we see the truck.

Ceramic coatings help the black pillars in that you won’t have to wipe them as hard and should avoid the swirls. But it is still very possible to swirl them. The only way to insure not swirling them is with the paint protection film, which we talked about. I wrap that black glossy plastic all the time and they look great all the time.

Jill

Badlands
First Name
Gillian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Kodiak Brown Bronco Sport Badlands
I’ve seen a couple of other posts but I took my BS into the dealership today. 7 days after getting it I’ve noticed 3 paint chips all the way down to the bare metal. The 1st one I repaired with a paint pen I bought on eBay. The next 2 are on the front fascia and I don’t want to keep repairing all these chips because you can still see a difference when you repair with the paint .

At this rate I’ll have no paint left by next year...

since it was Sunday they said to bring it back Monday to talk to Service to see what they will do. Kind of disappointing to see so many issues with the paint on my brand new vehicle
I picked up my BL at night in February. Next day, outside in the sunshine, I open my driver’s door and the rocker panel is scratched and scuffed with some deep scratches down to the metal. Dealer has buffed and wet-sanded and the deeper scratches remain. Next step is to touch up and add an extra layer of clearcoat. My BL is Kodiak Brown.

OP
OP

760Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I picked up my BL at night in February. Next day, outside in the sunshine, I open my driver’s door and the rocker panel is scratched and scuffed with some deep scratches down to the metal. Dealer has buffed and wet-sanded and the deeper scratches remain. Next step is to touch up and add an extra layer of clearcoat. My BL is Kodiak Brown.
I’d suggest heading over the to body shop and telling them this is from before you bought it. They probably will have to paint it but you shouldn’t have to pay for poor handling of your vehicle.

Jill

Badlands
First Name
Gillian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Kodiak Brown Bronco Sport Badlands
I’d suggest heading over the to body shop and telling them this is from before you bought it. They probably will have to paint it but you shouldn’t have to pay for poor handling of your vehicle.
Oh they knew less than 24 hours after I took delivery. The paint for the repair is on order.

lbjailer

First Edition
First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 F150 Lariat 4X4, Bronco Sport First Edition
Driving home from the dealer(Just bought it) I heard the rock.. didn't notice until next day chip on the hood and a small spot on the windshield. I got touch up paint for the chip on the hood. Just to keep from getting rust and it is small and difficult to see unless you're looking for it. Ordered a hood deflector which I hope will help. Freeway driving in the desert with big rigs; stuff happens.

Freddy Turbina

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Driving home from the dealer(Just bought it) I heard the rock.. didn't notice until next day chip on the hood and a small spot on the windshield. I got touch up paint for the chip on the hood. Just to keep from getting rust and it is small and difficult to see unless you're looking for it. Ordered a hood deflector which I hope will help. Freeway driving in the desert with big rigs; stuff happens.
Exact same thing happened to me on the drive home from the dealership. A little too close to a large flatbed on a choppy highway, felt the pebbles rain on the hood. Cactus Grey hides the small chip pretty well, but got some touch up paint/primer/clearcoat just to be done with it.

Suppose I should be thankful I got the first bit of damage so soon - now I don’t have so worry about it being perfect any more!

DakotaTimber

Badlands
First Name
DakotaTimber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL + BL, 360+, tow +
The hood and other body parts are in fact aluminum.
Hi Jim and Others,

My BS came into the dealership today. I had the salesman take one of his magnetic business cards to the passenger front fender in the engine compartment. The panel is steel not aluminum. Thus I maintain that part of the paint chipping issue is the use of the hardened steel alloy from ArcelorMittal. Hardened steel doesn't adhere as easily as softer steel or aluminum. I live on gravel and my BS is staying at the dealership ( detailed and in the show room ), until the Martians ( Valley Mars) can PPF and Ceramic coat. They are busy ( car show season ) till the 25th and I will take deliver on the 27th.

OP
OP

760Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Hi Jim and Others,

My BS came into the dealership today. I had the salesman take one of his magnetic business cards to the passenger front fender in the engine compartment. The panel is steel not aluminum. Thus I maintain that part of the paint chipping issue is the use of the hardened steel alloy from ArcelorMittal. Hardened steel doesn't adhere as easily as softer steel or aluminum. I live on gravel and my BS is staying at the dealership ( detailed and in the show room ), until the Martians ( Valley Mars) can PPF and Ceramic coat. They are busy ( car show season ) till the 25th and I will take deliver on the 27th.
What’s that costing you? If you don’t mind sharing

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln and escape and first edition cactus gray
Hi Jim and Others,

Yes thanks for the update , wasn’t sure of exactly what body panels are aluminum but for sure the hood is aluminum.

DakotaTimber

Badlands
First Name
DakotaTimber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL + BL, 360+, tow +
What’s that costing you? If you don’t mind sharing
A chuck of change....
Paint Protection Film Installation Xpel Ultimate Plus
18" Hood & Fenders, Front Bumper
600​
All Pillars
300​
Rocker Panels
400​
Door Handle Cups
50​
Door Sills
100​
Door edges
40​
Hatch Top
100​
Headlight and fog lights
100​
Exoshield, Windshield protection film
369​
Ceramic Coating
Xpel Fusion Plus over all Paint and film
650​
Xpel Glass over all exterior Glass
150​
Xpel Wheels & Calipers ( wheels off ) Outside and inside
400​
Subtotal
3259​
Tax
236​
Total
3495​

I had just the front of my ridgeline done and I hit a deer winter before last. No paint damage, but I had $2000 worth of plastic that had to be replaced. Could not believe how much it helped. I honestly believe that the bill would have been over $6000 with out the ppf, which was the bill on the silverado that was next to me getting the estimate. BTW that guy got PPF after we compared estimates as we both had about the same damage only he had some metal and paint work needed.

The ceramic coating is for easy cleanup because I live on gravel but I like my vehicle looking good. The rest is common sense stuff reading from the forum here on paint chips and the various video's out there. I had started about $2400, but watching and reading, I kept adding stuff.
Sponsored