On this episode of, "Is this noise normal?"...

ZeroCool

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Yeah, I read on this thread there are dealerships that are gaslighting folks and making people think it's not a problem. These are brand new vehicles that we all paid good money for and while I understand these vehicles are considered to be louder and more rugged--there are some noises that simply shouldn't be occurring. Ford has also admitted that there is a problem by approving my buyback (which I discovered buybacks are difficult to get approved--they initially denied, but then for some curious reason, approved) so there is something going on--I suspect it's something with a particular batch of BSs. But given all that, it wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion for further peace of mind--but you are also still under warranty which is a positive in case anything happens down the road.
I don’t want to sell mine back! They can fix it! Lol
Sponsored

ZeroCool

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
My understanding is that this is not a 'new' transmission design; there aren't service bulletins for the '21 Sport or recent Escapes indicating the noise we're describing is 'characteristic' of the Bronco Sport drivetrain. This is why I'm going to a second dealer after the first basically said, "Sorry Ford transmission pumps can be pretty noisy."
I can deal with that but mine is pretty minor and infrequent at this point.

Freddy Turbina

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I wouldn’t mind too much except the time I always hear it is slow beach driving, which is my ideal driving in my BS!

ZeroCool

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I wouldn’t mind too much except the time I always hear it is slow beach driving, which is my ideal driving in my BS!
I’m not judging bro we shouldn’t have any noises. I just can’t reproduce mine consistently, so ill have to wait for it to get worse, better, or stay the same. Meantime I’m gonna love it! ?‍♂

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
Update from the dealer on mine:

They found some kind of procedure from Ford to look into the issue but "didn't have a service rack available" to do the work. (So why did I schedule transmission service at all for today!?) I refused to leave the Bronco behind until they could get around to it but they want to look again "after July 4th". So glad I didn't leave it parked 'til then. I noticed a black OB out back in the service overflow, might be the other one in with the tranny noise?

Of course, I also had them look into the nonfunctional TravelLink / Sync features and they "couldn't reproduce the problem" even though it's doing it every start up cycle. So maybe they're blowing smoke on the transmission thing too. IDK. I may get a second opinion or I may just drive it.

One thing I've determined, is that the noise is worst in 3rd gear. I can tell because I can use my Badland's paddle shifters to check the gear. When I bump it from 4 to 3, it makes the sound. My totally unknowledgeable self would say it could be related to the 3rd gear solenoid. I don't think it is in danger of grenading, but it's under warranty and if enough people complain, Ford will issue a fix.

YukiSport

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport

They found some kind of procedure from Ford to look into the issue but "didn't have a service rack available" to do the work. (So why did I schedule transmission service at all for today!?) I refused to leave the Bronco behind until they could get around to it but they want to look again "after July 4th". So glad I didn't leave it parked 'til then. I noticed a black OB out back in the service overflow, might be the other one in with the tranny noise?

Of course, I also had them look into the nonfunctional TravelLink / Sync features and they "couldn't reproduce the problem" even though it's doing it every start up cycle. So maybe they're blowing smoke on the transmission thing too. IDK. I may get a second opinion or I may just drive it.

One thing I've determined, is that the noise is worst in 3rd gear. I can tell because I can use my Badland's paddle shifters to check the gear. When I bump it from 4 to 3, it makes the sound. My totally unknowledgeable self would say it could be related to the 3rd gear solenoid. I don't think it is in danger of grenading, but it's under warranty and if enough people complain, Ford will issue a fix.
Sorry you're having such troubles with your new BS. Me too with both issues. Very frustrating when the dealer plays dumb.

There is a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) Number 21-2150 issued 5/12/2021 that addresses the Sync 3 problems, including Travel Link not working. Next time you're in the dealer, tell them to look it up. The repair procedure tells them to upload the latest software via an official thumb drive, which may be a complete and operational file versus a possible incomplete file that is in your vehicle courtesy of Ford's horrible OTA update process. (My dealer "diagnosed" it as an antenna issue, replacements are not available and, BTW, we have to gut the interior to install it. I did not let them do it.)

Thanks for sharing your issues and updating all of us as things progress.

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
Sorry you're having such troubles with your new BS. Me too with both issues. Very frustrating when the dealer plays dumb.

There is a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) Number 21-2150 issued 5/12/2021 that addresses the Sync 3 problems, including Travel Link not working. Next time you're in the dealer, tell them to look it up. The repair procedure tells them to upload the latest software via an official thumb drive, which may be a complete and operational file versus a possible incomplete file that is in your vehicle courtesy of Ford's horrible OTA update process. (My dealer "diagnosed" it as an antenna issue, replacements are not available and, BTW, we have to gut the interior to install it. I did not let them do it.)

Thanks for sharing your issues and updating all of us as things progress.
Look it up!? I printed out a freaking copy of that TSB and handed it to them when I dropped it off!! They read it and said "Oh yeah, an APIM update, no problem."... The service advisor relayed that the tech said the modules all showed the latest software. Of course, the same person also told me the Sirius was all working and they didn't see any issue. I am sorta wondering if they did anything at all besides add 24 miles to the ODO. :curse:

Likewise, I refused to let them gut a brand new vehicle. Tearing that much mechanical out of a new build will never get back together like it should. It just doesn't. Techs are human, forget a cap or break a retainer. I don't want to make a rattletrap. If Ford decides it's a transmission swap to even diagnose that noise, then I'll drive it until it fails. I bought the 125,000 mile warranty and I'll have them look at it again in 122,000 more miles... I'm banking on it being an easy adjustment or part swap like has been reported and we just need a TSP proving it. Tick tock. ⏳

We gotta keep each other informed. Knowledge is power even if these dealers ignore what we've read. ??

ZeroCool

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport

Good call on the paddle shifters. I’m gonna compare to mine. Thanks.

run5498

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Hey Bronco fam--was wondering on people's opinions/advice. Ford offered to buy my BS in full, however, also offered me a cash/keep option where they kick some money over to me as a settlement for the problems/wait time I've experienced along with a 5 year/75,000 mile Premium CARE warranty. I initially wanted give the BS back but now I'm tempted to keep it. This is my first Ford/don't have any experience with their warranties or having to use an extended warranty--is it the better option to just keep the BS?

ZeroCool

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Hey Bronco fam--was wondering on people's opinions/advice. Ford offered to buy my BS in full, however, also offered me a cash/keep option where they kick some money over to me as a settlement for the problems/wait time I've experienced along with a 5 year/75,000 mile Premium CARE warranty. I initially wanted give the BS back but now I'm tempted to keep it. This is my first Ford/don't have any experience with their warranties or having to use an extended warranty--is it the better option to just keep the BS?
I love mine so i would take that option. How much do you love the BSport? Only you know how you’ll feel if you walk away. Visualize and and see how you’ll feel.

OP
OP
PTown_Bronco

PTown_Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Krista
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Badlands
Okay, picked mine up from the service dept today and the ruling is that they are waiting on the Ford brains to come up with a fix . In the meantime, there is supposedly no concern with continuing to drive it with the noise. They will contact me when Ford issues the official fix, hopefully August.
Attached is what the service guy gave me before I left, I'll admit that I didn't read before leaving. One is the specific bulletin about the cable. The other appears to be just info about normal noises that the turbo makes, which left me with more questions that I'll have to call him about next week. He didn't say to me that they think the noises are normal, so I'm not sure why it applies...
Anywho... hope this info is helpful.
Ford Bronco Sport On this episode of, "Is this noise normal?"... PXL_20210626_032103802
Ford Bronco Sport On this episode of, "Is this noise normal?"... PXL_20210626_032119488

OP
OP
PTown_Bronco

PTown_Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Krista
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Badlands
Oh, and they fixed the SiriusXM and washer fluid warning with a module update.
They couldn't replicate the popping noise in the steering column, which doesn't surprise me because I can't make it happen either.
So, 2 out of 4 fixed?

ZeroCool

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Okay, picked mine up from the service dept today and the ruling is that they are waiting on the Ford brains to come up with a fix . In the meantime, there is supposedly no concern with continuing to drive it with the noise. They will contact me when Ford issues the official fix, hopefully August.
Attached is what the service guy gave me before I left, I'll admit that I didn't read before leaving. One is the specific bulletin about the cable. The other appears to be just info about normal noises that the turbo makes, which left me with more questions that I'll have to call him about next week. He didn't say to me that they think the noises are normal, so I'm not sure why it applies...
Anywho... hope this info is helpful.
Ford Bronco Sport On this episode of, "Is this noise normal?"... PXL_20210626_032103802
Ford Bronco Sport On this episode of, "Is this noise normal?"... PXL_20210626_032119488
Wow this is super enlightening. Thanks for posting this. Very helpful.

Freddy Turbina

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
They couldn't replicate the popping noise in the steering column, which doesn't surprise me because I can't make it happen either.
So, 2 out of 4 fixed?
So you’re telling my my washer fluid isn’t actually low?? I get a warning randomly about it would make sense if that was not true… I barely use my washer fluid!

YukiSport

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
So, 2 out of 4 fixed?
Thanks for the update on your noise issue.
Regarding the Sirius issue: do you know what level software they installed? You can find this in Settings/General/about SiriusXM.
Thanks
Sponsored