On this episode of, "Is this noise normal?"...

BSideBootLeg

Big Bend
First Name
Kellie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Just a one week update, car still sounds great after the two fixes they completed, no swapping of transmission in my vehicle.
Thats awesome! Glad they got you fixed up.

I finally was able to take mine to a different dealership for a second opinion.
They said they heard the mentioned noise but believed it to be normal solenoid noises. So different than the ABS answers I got from the first dealership.

The BS has a lot of noises going on some of which sound normal and some of which cause me to want to drive with my radio on always. Other than that love the car just tired of these groaning and rattling noises. They didn't offer any type of checking or testing beyond the test ride with the service writer.

I drove my Dad's Rogue that has 140,000+ miles on it while the BS was in the shop and it made less engine sounds than my BS.
Sponsored

ZeroCool

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Thats awesome! Glad they got you fixed up.

I finally was able to take mine to a different dealership for a second opinion.
They said they heard the mentioned noise but believed it to be normal solenoid noises. So different than the ABS answers I got from the first dealership.

The BS has a lot of noises going on some of which sound normal and some of which cause me to want to drive with my radio on always. Other than that love the car just tired of these groaning and rattling noises. They didn't offer any type of checking or testing beyond the test ride with the service writer.

I drove my Dad's Rogue that has 140,000+ miles on it while the BS was in the shop and it made less engine sounds than my BS.
Did they check that shift cable?

Beav1

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BS, 2018 F150, 2014 Focus, 2013 Escape
They should check that shift aka "park release" cable

Have you called Ford customer service and opened a case? I would definitely let your dissatisfaction known to Ford. If have a case open already definitely follow up with your CSR.

Check you state's lemon laws. Varies by state but once you start getting up to 3-4 attempted repairs with no resolution you may have a case for a buy back request to Ford.

moserp624

Outer Banks
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport, Mazda CX-5
For anyone that has this grinding (transmission?) noise, was the noise always there from the first time you picked up from the dealer - OR - Did it start after driving the for a while at random mileage?

I've had mine a few weeks now and have not heard the same noise yet thankfully. However my build date it close to the suspect date range and I am keeping an ear out for it every once in a while. Just wanted to know if since I'm not hearing it then maybe I can reduce any concern level.

Thanks for all the updates on this thread. Great group data collection, diagnostics, and knowledge sharing.

SportWest

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport Badlands
For anyone that has this grinding (transmission?) noise, was the noise always there from the first time you picked up from the dealer - OR - Did it start after driving the for a while at random mileage?
I first noticed the issue around 800 miles. In my case, The Noise only happens after I've been driving for a bit -- from a cold start, I can't replicate even at 1500 RPM and 7-10 mph. This is probably why it took longer for me to notice. I take it to another dealer next month for a more comprehensive evaluation and hopefully a fix.

Beav1

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BS, 2018 F150, 2014 Focus, 2013 Escape
I noticed it a day or two after delivery. I took my son to hockey practice and noticed it driving slow in the parking lot at the rink.

Nancy B

Big Bend
First Name
Nancy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco sport

I've had mine a few weeks now and have not heard the same noise yet thankfully. However my build date it close to the suspect date range and I am keeping an ear out for it every once in a while. Just wanted to know if since I'm not hearing it then maybe I can reduce any concern level.

Thanks for all the updates on this thread. Great group data collection, diagnostics, and knowledge sharing.
We noticed the noises the night we drove it home from buying it. Right away.

BSideBootLeg

Big Bend
First Name
Kellie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport

I noticed mine just a couple days after purchasing it while in stop and go city traffic.

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
Dropped mine off for a couple warranty items including this noise this morning. I was able to reproduce the sound a few times for the tech in a ride along. I describe it as a bike derailleur slipping. They already have another Bronco in for the same issue and it is awaiting a whole new transmission!! He suspects it could be some one way clutch but Ford won't let him tear into the unit for diagnosis. I think they're swapping it and sending the pulled one in for analysis. He said the fluid and all seemed clean in that one so it probably wasn't a component shredding itself.

I mentioned that some people have reported the cable as a solution and he's going to look and see if Ford published any more information for this issue since the other vehicle came in a few weeks ago. ? I really would like it resolved without having to do such a major repair on a new vehicle! Will report back findings later. Build date 4/06/21 for mine for those keeping track.

BSideBootLeg

Big Bend
First Name
Kellie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Dropped mine off for a couple warranty items including this noise this morning. I was able to reproduce the sound a few times for the tech in a ride along. I describe it as a bike derailleur slipping. They already have another Bronco in for the same issue and it is awaiting a whole new transmission!! He suspects it could be some one way clutch but Ford won't let him tear into the unit for diagnosis. I think they're swapping it and sending the pulled one in for analysis. He said the fluid and all seemed clean in that one so it probably wasn't a component shredding itself.

I mentioned that some people have reported the cable as a solution and he's going to look and see if Ford published any more information for this issue since the other vehicle came in a few weeks ago. ? I really would like it resolved without having to do such a major repair on a new vehicle! Will report back findi
ngs later. Build date 4/06/21 for mine for those keeping track.
Thank you for using that terminology "bike derailleur " I did not know the word to use but explained it as a noise I have heard while riding a bike and they looked at me like I was crazy.

Freddy Turbina

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Took mine in Tuesday for the whirring sound at ~1500RPM in neutral (with hot engine) and for the hard drive-like sound at low speeds/power, and was told both are normal sounds from a Ford engineer.

Another BS in for an unrelated problem also has the sound. Not sure I am 100% on board with it being normal with the other replies here, but the engineer got back to the dealer within a few hours of bringing it in and said they were non-issues. Guess I will keep an ear to it and see how it progresses.

run5498

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Took mine in Tuesday for the whirring sound at ~1500RPM in neutral (with hot engine) and for the hard drive-like sound at low speeds/power, and was told both are normal sounds from a Ford engineer.

Another BS in for an unrelated problem also has the sound. Not sure I am 100% on board with it being normal with the other replies here, but the engineer got back to the dealer within a few hours of bringing it in and said they were non-issues. Guess I will keep an ear to it and see how it progresses.
Would def. keep an eye on the noise as my dealership/garage foreman confirmed that the noise is a legit problem. Had the shifter cables replaced, but noise still remained and then Ford approved a new transmission replacement. At this point, the BS has been in the shop for almost 2 months--in the process of a buyback unfortunately.

Freddy Turbina

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Would def. keep an eye on the noise as my dealership/garage foreman confirmed that the noise is a legit problem. Had the shifter cables replaced, but noise still remained and then Ford approved a new transmission replacement. At this point, the BS has been in the shop for almost 2 months--in the process of a buyback unfortunately.
Sad to hear it’s taken so long… The hard drive-like noise from the transmission I was told was actuators in the transmission preparing to shift, and I didn’t get a real detailed explanation on the other noise at 1500RPM. I offered the shift cable resolution but that was shot down as not a solution. I’d hate to go to another dealership for a second opinion just to get the same engineer to buy it off as nothing. We’ll see…

run5498

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Sad to hear it’s taken so long… The hard drive-like noise from the transmission I was told was actuators in the transmission preparing to shift, and I didn’t get a real detailed explanation on the other noise at 1500RPM. I offered the shift cable resolution but that was shot down as not a solution. I’d hate to go to another dealership for a second opinion just to get the same engineer to buy it off as nothing. We’ll see…
Yeah, I read on this thread there are dealerships that are gaslighting folks and making people think it's not a problem. These are brand new vehicles that we all paid good money for and while I understand these vehicles are considered to be louder and more rugged--there are some noises that simply shouldn't be occurring. Ford has also admitted that there is a problem by approving my buyback (which I discovered buybacks are difficult to get approved--they initially denied, but then for some curious reason, approved) so there is something going on--I suspect it's something with a particular batch of BSs. But given all that, it wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion for further peace of mind--but you are also still under warranty which is a positive in case anything happens down the road.

SportWest

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport Badlands
Yeah, I read on this thread there are dealerships that are gaslighting folks and making people think it's not a problem. These are brand new vehicles that we all paid good money for and while I understand these vehicles are considered to be louder and more rugged--there are some noises that simply shouldn't be occurring. Ford has also admitted that there is a problem by approving my buyback (which I discovered buybacks are difficult to get approved--they initially denied, but then for some curious reason, approved) so there is something going on--I suspect it's something with a particular batch of BSs. But given all that, it wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion for further peace of mind--but you are also still under warranty which is a positive in case anything happens down the road.
My understanding is that this is not a 'new' transmission design; there aren't service bulletins for the '21 Sport or recent Escapes indicating the noise we're describing is 'characteristic' of the Bronco Sport drivetrain. This is why I'm going to a second dealer after the first basically said, "Sorry Ford transmission pumps can be pretty noisy."
Sponsored