Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Both crossbars “seem” to be the same height so apparently the off-road bars have only a slightly taller profile. This might have more to do with fitting under parking garages or other “on-road” obstacles with lower height clearance while the crossbars are loaded. Not that they don’t expect B/BB/OB to not go off road, I believe it’s more about that they expect BL/FE to not be as concerned about total vehicle height.
Yeah, my comment was tongue-n-cheek, but Ford should have used other terminology when referring to anything "Bronco" related, since the whole premise is offroad/outdoor adventure. A better description would have been, "low-profile" and "standard or high profile".
Sponsored

Ultraspaz

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
These are the taller off-road crossbars on mine. The Yakimas weren't an option when I ordered but if they were I might have ordered them instead because of the lower height. If I added a roof basket to my OEM's I may not fit in the garage. Also, my bar positions are fixed. Not sure if the Yakima can be adjusted fore and aft but these Ford OEM can not.

Ford Bronco Sport On-Road vs Off-Road Crossbars? 20210112_091523[563]

Ponds

First Edition
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
These are the taller off-road crossbars on mine. The Yakimas weren't an option when I ordered but if they were I might have ordered them instead because of the lower height. If I added a roof basket to my OEM's I may not fit in the garage. Also, my bar positions are fixed. Not sure if the Yakima can be adjusted fore and aft but these Ford OEM can not.

Sharp looking Bronco Sport! if you don’t mind, what’s the overall height with the cross bars?

Thanks!

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Interestingly, the Yakima off-road version has disappeared on the B&P... unfortunately. It was still there as of yesterday (1/11/21).
The Badlands has "Unique Roof Side Rails - Black" in addition to the unique "Shadow Black Roof." If you look closely at each model's pics under 'View Details' you see that the roof rails appear to be constructed differently also. I am not sure the difference for the SPORT is "on-road" v. "off-road" crossbars, but rather 2.0L, i.e. Badlands and First Edition v. all the rest. MAYBE the 2.0L rails and crossbars offer a higher load capacity? I wouldn't be surprised if the 2.0L crossbars don't fit the Base, Badlands, or Outer Banks.

I see the "Roof Rails With Crossbars - Black" up top, and the "Yakima Roof Rail Crossbars" down below in the Exterior Accessories on the **Bronco (not Sport)** build-and-price. Now I'm not sure if I ever saw those options for the Bronco Sport, but there are NO such additional Accessories for the Bronco Sport build-and-price available on there today.

Last edited:

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport

Are we sure the Yakima bars aren't just a BRONCO option, and not SPORT? Are these 2.0L bars really taller -- how much? Are the Badlands/First Edition roof rails of different color (black) and construction from all the other models? I'm about convinced the rails and crossbars -- as a set -- are of different design for more load capacity.

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
So correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this on-road v. off-road -- referring to off-road Yakima bars -- is a Bronco option, not a Bronco Sport option. The 2.0L Sports (Badlands, 1st Ed.) do get different roof rails, and consequently different 2.0L crossbars to go with them. Take a close look at the roof rails...

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Specifically, the base of the crossbars at the 4 corners -- I'm guessing the BL and 1E have better roof load capacity, with their different rails/crossbars design.

Ultraspaz

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
QUOTE="Ponds, post: 31426, member: 2700"]
Sharp looking Bronco Sport! if you don’t mind, what’s the overall height with the cross bars?

Thanks!
[/QUOTE]

Using a level and tape measure I got roughly 6' 4" from the highest part of the arch of the bar to the floor.

Ponds

First Edition
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
QUOTE="Ponds, post: 31426, member: 2700"]

Thanks!
Using a level and tape measure I got roughly 6' 4" from the highest part of the arch of the bar to the floor.
[/QUOTE]
Fantastic, thanks!

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
this thread is referring to the on-road and off-road original equipment crossbars. Not the Yakima crossbars
I know what the thread purports to be about; however I think the Bronco and Bronco Sport options are being confused with one another here? Unless it was there and disappeared, I don't think there is any "offroad" crossbars option for the Sport.

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
If you look closely the two roofs are constructed the same. The two pictures are showing slightly different angles and lighting.
Ford Bronco Sport On-Road vs Off-Road Crossbars? 1A73613F-804E-48F3-B804-0E4823E4AD00
What is the source for these pictures/options? I am looking at the Ford website for the 1.5L and 2.0L build-and-price options, and at real pictures of the vehicles. They are different there -- AND in reality, if you examine the pics users are putting up on here.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MattH88

MattH88

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
What is the source for these pictures/options? I am looking at the Ford website for the 1.5L and 2.0 build-and-price options, and at real pictures of the vehicles. They are different there -- AND in reality, if you examine the pics users are putting up on here.
Those images are from the Ford accessories site.

Ponds

First Edition
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I know what the thread purports to be about; however I think the Bronco and Bronco Sport options are being confused with one another here? Unless it was there and disappeared, I don't think there is any "offroad" crossbars option for the Sport.
Ford refers to the 2 versions of the cross bars for the Ford Bronco Sport as “On Road” and “Off Road”. This is Ford’s wording not any forum user’s. Probably a poor choice on their part, but it is what it is.

Best wishes!

NotAnonymous

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Ford refers to the 2 versions of the cross bars for the Ford Bronco Sport as “On Road” and “Off Road”. This is Ford’s wording not any forum user’s. Probably a poor choice on their part, but it is what it is.

Best wishes!
Correct - up until 1/12/21 I was able to see on the Sport a number of Yakima options, including off-road cross bars - I even have a PDF of that - and such things as the Sportz Tent.

Zooke

Big Bend
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Anyone with a first edition or badlands ,can you share the total height with crossbars?
My Big bend w/ OEM cross bars and a short Rola Roof rack is 76inches. I would assume your Badlands with the extra inch is probably around there given my Roof Rack is about 2 or 3 inches tall.
Sponsored