On-Road vs Off-Road Crossbars?

MattH88

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Any chance anyone can point out the difference between the on vs off-road cross bars? From the photos on Ford’s parts site, they look essentially the same. I had ordered crossbars for my BB+BB but it was delivered without them as it appears to be the case with many others.

If anyone has photos they can post of their Ford crossbars that would be great if you could do that and specify if they are on or off road. Thanks in advance!
55BEAF37-FBE8-43BC-BBA0-CC35DAAB82D3.jpeg

F75EC12D-1DD4-43FB-B7E7-53833C5B3702.jpeg

Advertisement

Ponds

First Edition
First Name
Tom
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Escape
Base, Big Bend, and Outer Banks have a slightly different roof rack from the Badlands and First Edition. Checkout the profile pics on the Ford website. In the description on the Ford Accessories web page: “Two styles available, one fits Base, Big Bend and Outer Banks trim, the other has a taller profile designed specifically for Badlands and 1st Edition trim”.

So, the answer appears to be the trim level of the Bronco Sport Determines which one to order. On Road for Base, BB & OB; Off Road for BL & FE.

OP
MattH88

MattH88

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Base, Big Bend, and Outer Banks have a slightly different roof rack from the Badlands and First Edition. Checkout the profile pics on the Ford website. In the description on the Ford Accessories web page: “Two styles available, one fits Base, Big Bend and Outer Banks trim, the other has a taller profile designed specifically for Badlands and 1st Edition trim”.

So, the answer appears to be the trim level of the Bronco Sport Determines which one to order. On Road for Base, BB & OB; Off Road for BL & FE.
Interesting. Thanks for the info.

essentialemployee

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Tahoe
Does this mean the dimensions of the roof rails are different for BL/FE and B/BB/OB? If not, either one would fit but apparently the off-road crossbars will have a slightly taller profile? Maybe I’m missing something

Bdub

First Edition
First Name
Bryan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
I wonder if the taller height of the bars has something to do with the moonroof.

OP
MattH88

MattH88

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I wonder if the taller height of the bars has something to do with the moonroof.
I have a moonroof on my BB+BB, so I doubt that's the case.

NotAnonymous

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Interestingly, the Yakima off-road version has disappeared on the B&P... unfortunately. It was still there as of yesterday (1/11/21).

Last edited:

Excape

First Name
Reg
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
So by definition, the Base, Big Bend, & Outer Banks are on-road vehicles? :frown:

Last edited:

dinglehead

Badlands
First Name
J
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
Ahh, interesting - appreciate that. Not sure why all of the Yakima accessories suddenly disappeared from the B&P, but as I know from the big Bronco B&P, hard to rely upon that!
Those Yakima bars are spendy - but I'm pretty sure that's what I'm gonna go with.

Advertisement