Oil Separator for Ecoboost

Bigwig77

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I was researching and shopping F150s for months before switching and buying a BS. I watched several videos on Ecoboost engines and installing oil separators on the 2.7 and 3.5 engines. Anyone considering one for this 1.5?
When the design on the eco was changed to dual direct inject, it was supposed to be a remedy to the valve issues. Never owned an eco before I wonder if a catch can would just be a good backstop and get more life out of the engine?
Sponsored

SunZmSpark

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I was researching and shopping F150s for months before switching and buying a BS. I watched several videos on Ecoboost engines and installing oil separators on the 2.7 and 3.5 engines. Anyone considering one for this 1.5?
When the design on the eco was changed to dual direct inject, it was supposed to be a remedy to the valve issues. Never owned an eco before I wonder if a catch can would just be a good backstop and get more life out of the engine?
I installed one on my BS after having one on my previous vehicle, a 2016 Mustang with 2.3L Ecoboost. In the two+ years I owned it, I collected about two-and-a-half Mason jars of "fluid" from the system! I'm not getting a lot in the 1.5L at this time, but it's only been installed for a few weeks. I did find (on the 2.3L) that there was always more during the winter months and less in the summer.

schizorage

Base
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base
I installed one on my BS after having one on my previous vehicle, a 2016 Mustang with 2.3L Ecoboost. In the two+ years I owned it, I collected about two-and-a-half Mason jars of "fluid" from the system! I'm not getting a lot in the 1.5L at this time, but it's only been installed for a few weeks. I did find (on the 2.3L) that there was always more during the winter months and less in the summer.
Which can did you buy?

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
I commonly got 300k, 400k and one engine lasted to 528k miles.
Wore out a 4.0L AMC straight six that was converted to fuel injection and designed In 1957 at 394k miles. This engine was due to a large stock pile put in a 1996 Jeep Cherokee, again severe duty use. Two of these were Ford's, all of my motors were severe duty use as in hot climate, heavy traffic. Heavy cargo loads, 70 to 90k miles anually. Never an engine problem of any kind,
Never used a oil separator, I see no need. Only mod that ever made a difference was adding a transmission intercooler with careful attention not to add too many BTU's of cooling capacity. This tripled my transmission fluid life.
Also I never had a single transmission problem on anything.
Just saying,,,,,

Last edited:

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
I run a UPR dual oil catch can on my '16 F150 3.5 Ecoboost. Put it on soon after I bought it new. It catches a lot of nasty milky gas smelling white/brown gunk especially in the winter time. Without the catch can that gunk would go through the turbo piping, intercooler, and intake manifold. Gunk coating the insides of the intercooler will reduce its ability to dissipate heat. Gunk build up on intake sensors will reduce their accuracy. Ford is well aware of all of that. The setup I have on my F150 you gut the PCV valve so that under boost the crank case can ventilate out of both valve covers (V6) instead of just one. Excessive crank case pressure can cause oil leaks and add resistance to pistons.

I also had a Dodge SRT-4 for 11 years, son now owns it, and a catch can has been on that car since new too.

These are mass produced production engines. Some will have more piston ring blow by then others. So some engines of the same make/model/year will benefit more from a catch can then others depending on tolerances and how much blow by is getting past the piston rings. Also type of driving, short drives, long drives, climate ect have an impact.

Dealer may flag a catch can as a modification and void warranty. Best to remove if taken in for any engine warranty work.

You will get a thousand opinions on oil catch cans. Read up and decide. Its personal preference. Nasty gunk build up in intake track is not something I want so I am one of those catch can ppl.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bigwig77

Bigwig77

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Nube Alert!
Does this involve 2.0l ?
Yes. It is only related to turbo charged engines.
Nube Alert!
Does this involve 2.0l ?
Yes any of the ecoboost engines are turbo charged and the air contains oil vapor that gets recirculated back onto the valves. The new dual injection engines burn it off the valves with a second set of injectors.

SunZmSpark

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
This is the amount of fluid I collected from the oil separator in my 2016 Mustang 2.3L Ecoboost in two years. It's probably not a big issue, but I'd rather not recycle this back into the system.

Ford Bronco Sport Oil Separator for Ecoboost IMG_0348.JPG

thesavo

Outer Banks
First Name
savo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Edge SEL, 2014 Patriot, 2021 Bronco Sport OB

SunZmSpark

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
that unit is not sold right now .
so would any oil separator for a 2016 mustang 2.3L work?

like this one?
https://www.jegs.com/i/Mishimoto/690/BCCMUS415PBE/10002/-1?year=2016&make=FORD&model=MUSTANG&submodel=ECOBOOST&engine=L4+(+2.3L+/+140+)
No, it has to be for the Bronco Sport. The hoses are different, and the Mustang separator doesn't have the same mount. You can get one directly from JLT here https://www.jlttruecoldair.com/jlt-3-0-oil-separator-2020-ford-escape-1-5l-eb-2021-ford-bronco-sport-1-5l-ebpassenger-side/

thesavo

Outer Banks
First Name
savo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Edge SEL, 2014 Patriot, 2021 Bronco Sport OB
Last edited:

SunZmSpark

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Serisouly , plug-n-play? Any issue on voiding the warranty? this looks like a good investment even on a Daily Driver.

Also., I found an updated amazon product page
https://www.amazon.com/Performance-Separator-Compatible-EcoBoost-Passenger/dp/B08SJ4CZG9/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=jlt+oil+separator+3043P&qid=1621618712&sr=8-1
It's extremely easy to install (much easier than the Mustang). I don't see how it would void the warranty, you're not altering the engine just filtering the vapors recycled through the intake.

casual_reader

Outer Banks
First Name
MJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport OB / Focus RS
Personally, having a catch can for any Ecoboost engine is a good idea. I like to think this type of modification as a preventative maintenance step. I just want to ensure and maintain a certain level of performance. I'm waiting on my UPR catch to be delivered, only another week to wait.

But, the current catch can kits available on the market are incomplete. they are only covering the PCV side and not the CCV. All that blow-by and oil vapor, is still being pumped back into the intake(cold-side). So over time both the internals of turbo and intercooler is going to get coated with oil. Hopefully, JLT and UPR can offer up a solution.

Yes, i can go custom and make my own. But, i need OEM fitting and i don't know where to get them.
Vendors!!! I hope your reading this forum for potential sales.

Midgiesbronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
The reason for one is simple, most modern engines use "direct injection" No fuel coming into contact with your intake valve, with port or carb, the valve gets cleaned by gasoline. That being said your still dumping PCV vapor etc in your intake and they can greatly increase carbon build-up on intake valves with varied intensity and issues, thus the need/benefit of them. Now to the issues with using them. Cold climate, that gunk freezes up and for a time you can cause a problem with building pressure in your crankcase and cause oil leaks. IMO living in the Northeast I will get on a sched. of running a cleaner like Seafoam once a year to keep things clean along with running high quality oil and will not have a problem. I have a few friends I do this for with engines that are really prone to this with great results
Sponsored