GulfCoastBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Topher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I removed my OEM crossbars and on my attempt to reinstall one bolt stripped. As many of you know a handful of us here have had trouble locating replacements. I’ve gone to 5 places including my dealer and 2 specialty bolt places.
It’s really a shame that @Ford Motor Company doesn’t offer the ability to order bolts and now my $320 crossbars are useless due to a 15 cent bolt
Sponsored

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
I removed my OEM crossbars and on my attempt to reinstall one bolt stripped. As many of you know a handful of us here have had trouble locating replacements. I’ve gone to 5 places including my dealer and 2 specialty bolt places.
It’s really a shame that @Ford Motor Company doesn’t offer the ability to order bolts and now my $320 crossbars are useless due to a 15 cent bolt
Do you have the size and a full pic (or more) you can post of the bolt you need ? (And thread size and bolt dimensions if you know that)
I’ve seen others post they located a suitable bolt.

wireman

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I'm not familiar with the cross bars, but I would assume this is a common thread, metric or SAE.

Is the head of the bolt a unicorn design? Try Amazon?

A pic of the bolt would help here.

Rogerthat898

Big Bend
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Maybe someone that has purchased the same style cross bars as you from Ford might still have the install instructions that lists the included hardware. This may have the size info of the needed bolt.

OP
OP
GulfCoastBronco

GulfCoastBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Topher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Ford Bronco Sport OEM Crossbars Hardware IMG_8058
Ford Bronco Sport OEM Crossbars Hardware IMG_8057

this issue isn’t the thread size or length. But what is being referred to as the “shoulder” or “collar”. 2 guys at 2 different shops told me it looks to be manufacturer specific. And I spent 20 mins at the dealership while they looked in the back as well as searched the computer but no listing of the hardware separate from the full kit.

OP
OP
GulfCoastBronco

GulfCoastBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Topher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I'm not familiar with the cross bars, but I would assume this is a common thread, metric or SAE.

Is the head of the bolt a unicorn design? Try Amazon?

A pic of the bolt would help here.
So far I believe what I have found is: 6mm thread, 25mm length, countersink T25 Torx security.

where most associates at the specialty stores have been concerned is the collar/shoulder. Due to it being a countersink bolt that secures bars to the roof, none of them have been confident in any rigging on other size shoulder/collar.

cprcubed

Big Bend
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cyber Orange BS BB, 1997 Ford F250 HD 7.3 PSD
If you can find it, a little bit of steel tubing of the right diameter, cut to length. JB Weld it in place. Cheers!

Rogerthat898

Big Bend
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport

BourbonRunner

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Have you tried contacting a local Fastenal?

Alternatively when I've needed weird metric stuff there's a British metric hardware supplier about 45 minutes away that almost always has the oddballs. Thanks to him I was able to get my BMW's suspension put back together when I discovered the new spherical bearings I installed was too much for the OEM bolts. Otherwise it would have been weeks to get it from BMW.

He ships all over: https://www.britishmetrics.com/

OP
OP
GulfCoastBronco

GulfCoastBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Topher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Have you tried contacting a local Fastenal?

Alternatively when I've needed weird metric stuff there's a British metric hardware supplier about 45 minutes away that almost always has the oddballs. Thanks to him I was able to get my BMW's suspension put back together when I discovered the new spherical bearings I installed was too much for the OEM bolts. Otherwise it would have been weeks to get it from BMW.

He ships all over: https://www.britishmetrics.com/
Local Fastenal locations have all recently closed down. I drove all over my city the other day looking. Just kept finding empty buildings painted white. I was hoping to be able to go there actually

JAD67428

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport. 1994 Ford Mustang GT.
Have you tried different manufactures of the rails ? Somebody has to make it. We all know Ford didnt make it.

OP
OP
GulfCoastBronco

GulfCoastBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Topher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Have you tried different manufactures of the rails ? Somebody has to make it. We all know Ford didnt make it.
That’s a good idea. I have no recollection of the brand name or if it even was branded anywhere

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Local Fastenal locations have all recently closed down. I drove all over my city the other day looking. Just kept finding empty buildings painted white. I was hoping to be able to go there actually
McMaster-Carr has a pretty comprehensive offering of hardware.

www.mcmaster.com