Big Bend
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Hey all,

After getting stuck in the sand a few weeks ago in my Big Bend, I am looking into options for emergency tow hooks etc. I had to use running boards, dig, and push to get us out since there is no real emergency hooks and not really anywhere to hook up to underneath. It was a very frustrating afternoon.

After searching here on the forum all morning, it seems like installing aftermarket front tow hooks is expensive, and not as strong as if they were factory installed. The front tow hook alone is almost $200 (Front Towing Hook | FordUS ). At this point, I am considering going for the Rough Country Bull bar. It is a bit more expensive, but I would rather spend a touch more for something that looks a lot cooler and can do the same thing.

Am I right to assume that someone can pull me out or vice versa with this bull bar? After reading the steps for the Rough Country one it doesn't seem like too difficult of a mod.
Sponsored

Digitalexcess

Outer Banks
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I wouldn't trust it enough to take the pressure, but I'd like to be wrong.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Am I right to assume that someone can pull me out or vice versa with this bull bar? After reading the steps for the Rough Country one it doesn't seem like too difficult of a mod.
It would depend entirely on how the bull bar is attached to the vehicle. It would probably be fine for towing, but if it's not attached directly to the unibody frame then I would be leery about putting the kind of stress on it required for a snatch recovery.

Major Kong

Base
First Name
Major
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport aka "Spark Plug"
It would depend entirely on how the bull bar is attached to the vehicle. It would probably be fine for towing, but if it's not attached directly to the unibody frame then I would be leery about putting the kind of stress on it required for a snatch recovery.
still hopeful for a bar which utilizes the threaded front hook mount as part of the bar mount system

OP
OP

nmessina

Big Bend
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
still hopeful for a bar which utilizes the threaded front hook mount as part of the bar mount system
For sure. I just want to have some kind of option for when I go back to the beach so if I need I can get pulled out. But at the same time $200 for that threaded front hook is ridiculous. I think I’d put more trust in the bar though lol

Major Kong

Base
First Name
Major
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport aka "Spark Plug"
For sure. I just want to have some kind of option for when I go back to the beach so if I need I can get pulled out. But at the same time $200 for that threaded front hook is ridiculous. I think I’d put more trust in the bar though lol
another option I've used in the past
different circumstances
snow
threaded rope through wheel fashioning field made "chains"
worked like a charm
have not applied this with sand
may end up just digging a deeper hole

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
None of these bull bars give me any confidence in their strength when I look at the attachments. To me, they are just light mounts and window dressing.

Benanza

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Short term would be get shackle hitch or the rear bumper recovery tow ring if you don't have OEM hitch that blocks it.I feel like I've read somewhere that the rough country shouldn't be used as a recovery point, but I don't see anything on the site. The only front bar I've seen available without special build so far is from @FordBroncoLifts that has an option to add the tow rings.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
I’d buy a couple of soft shackles and a short strap to make a bridle.

First Name
Albini
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford BRONCO SPORT
Hey all,

After getting stuck in the sand a few weeks ago in my Big Bend, I am looking into options for emergency tow hooks etc. I had to use running boards, dig, and push to get us out since there is no real emergency hooks and not really anywhere to hook up to underneath. It was a very frustrating afternoon.

After searching here on the forum all morning, it seems like installing aftermarket front tow hooks is expensive, and not as strong as if they were factory installed. The front tow hook alone is almost $200 (Front Towing Hook | FordUS ). At this point, I am considering going for the Rough Country Bull bar. It is a bit more expensive, but I would rather spend a touch more for something that looks a lot cooler and can do the same thing.

Hey all,

I installed these hooks on my Big Bend.
Ford Bronco Sport Nudge Bar over aftermarket tow hooks for BB 20220912_085940
Ford Bronco Sport Nudge Bar over aftermarket tow hooks for BB 20220916_084108
Ford Bronco Sport Nudge Bar over aftermarket tow hooks for BB 20220826_153748

davidg4781

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
Were you able to have someone pull you out backwards with the tow recovery point?

I've been worried about getting stuck in sand. Where I go to just drive on the beach, there is no cell phone service and could be no people, either.

I saw one dude once from Australia on YouTube show how he gets unstuck... digs from behind the tires so he can back up, he backs up, then gives it some gas to go forward and get out. Not sure why he didn't just back up more though.

Sorry, I know that doesn't answer your questions about nudge bars.
Sponsored