mrs mighty

Badlands
First Name
Sandee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco Sport
I’ve never tried my 4X4 yet. Kinda scared, but really excited 😆. I’m an essential worker in Dallas & we might get ice next week. So I’m off in it if we get it, no exceptions. Any tips? The dealer was of no help when I purchased it, as I was literally the last customer that night leaving as they were closing. I’m planning on going back to the dealer this weekend for help. Thank you in advance ☺👍🏼
Sponsored

BravoAlpha

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Expedition MAX Silverado Z71
All wheel drive has advantages in snow, gravel, rain, mud and sand but little advantage on ice. Dont get a false sense of security. You‘ll slide with the rest of them.

Alfa 2407

Big Bend
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
If your looking for a car that doesn't slide on ice, well that doesn't exist, the 4x4 will help prevent getting stuck, I'm not sure if you were present in TX for the 2021 winter storm, (I've lived in dfw for 8 years and was in town at the time) i was driving an awd toyota at the time, but generally 4x4 or awd works wonders for keeping from getting stuck, just drive careful, keep it slow, and don't get overconfident in your vehicles ability, I do not recommend engaging the locker unless you are completely stuck, do not drive with it engaged.

cprcubed

Big Bend
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cyber Orange BS BB, 1997 Ford F250 HD 7.3 PSD
What model do you have? Many times on this forum everyone seems to think we all have the capability to lock the rear, additional GOAT modes, etc (Badlands features). At any rate, make sure you find a place withe not much going on. I'm always worried about the other idiots on the road that figure because they have AWD or 4x4 they are invincible. They have to stop just like everyone else does and the AWD/4x4 doesn't help especially on ice. Cheers!

Alfa 2407

Big Bend
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
What model do you have? Many times on this forum everyone seems to think we all have the capability to lock the rear, additional GOAT modes, etc (Badlands features). At any rate, make sure you find a place withe not much going on. I'm always worried about the other idiots on the road that figure because they have AWD or 4x4 they are invincible. They have to stop just like everyone else does and the AWD/4x4 doesn't help especially on ice. Cheers!
His/her profile is tagged as having a bsbl

cprcubed

Big Bend
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cyber Orange BS BB, 1997 Ford F250 HD 7.3 PSD
Doh! Don't know how I missed that! If it was a snake it would have bit me! Cheers!

Arcee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Chevrolet Equinox, 3.6L V6, AWD
As others have stated, 4WD/AWD provide no advantage on ice unless you are also running dedicated winter tires. Also remember even if you do get started you will need to stop at some point.

Hopefully TxDOT can get the roads treated before you have to drive on them. Take it slow and easy and leave plenty of room between you and other vehicles. Give yourself plenty of time to get where you need to go.

I live in a snow belt state, and when there is snow/freezing rain in the forecast it means adding at least an hour to the typical commute time.

OP
OP
mrs mighty

mrs mighty

Badlands
First Name
Sandee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco Sport
If your looking for a car that doesn't slide on ice, well that doesn't exist, the 4x4 will help prevent getting stuck, I'm not sure if you were present in TX for the 2021 winter storm, (I've lived in dfw for 8 years and was in town at the time) i was driving an awd toyota at the time, but generally 4x4 or awd works wonders for keeping from getting stuck, just drive careful, keep it slow, and don't get overconfident in your vehicles ability, I do not recommend engaging the locker unless you are completely stuck, do not drive with it engaged.
Thank you for your advice, I’ll take it. This Bronco is a whole new ”beast” to me. And I’m loving it.

OP
OP
mrs mighty

mrs mighty

Badlands
First Name
Sandee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco Sport
Hi, I have the Badlands. Yes, I’ll watch out for others, and take it slow. Thanks for your advice.

OP
OP
mrs mighty

mrs mighty

Badlands
First Name
Sandee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco Sport
As others have stated, 4WD/AWD provide no advantage on ice unless you are also running dedicated winter tires. Also remember even if you do get started you will need to stop at some point.

Hopefully TxDOT can get the roads treated before you have to drive on them. Take it slow and easy and leave plenty of room between you and other vehicles. Give yourself plenty of time to get where you need to go.

I live in a snow belt state, and when there is snow/freezing rain in the forecast it means adding at least an hour to the typical commute time.
Thanks for your reply. I saw this morning some of the highways were already pre treated. Yay! I needed your advise, I ‘ll use it 👍

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands ordered 12/17/2021 - Arrived 3/25/22
I’ve never tried my 4X4 yet. Kinda scared, but really excited 😆. I’m an essential worker in Dallas & we might get ice next week. So I’m off in it if we get it, no exceptions. Any tips? The dealer was of no help when I purchased it, as I was literally the last customer that night leaving as they were closing. I’m planning on going back to the dealer this weekend for help. Thank you in advance ☺👍🏼
In another thread, a woman in Chama, NM said that SPORT mode felt better in the snow than SLIPPERY mode. Conventional wisdom would be not to use SPORT mode in slippery conditions, but it comes down to what feels best to each individual. With that in mind, if possible, you might find a snow-covered deserted road and try the different modes.

None of the GOAT modes are intended to be used on dry pavement. SAND mode actually says not to use it on paved roads covered with snow or ice.

You might want to review the "GOAT mode control" section of the manual.

BravoAlpha

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Expedition MAX Silverado Z71
Re: GOAT modes and what to use

my wife and I were talking about that this morning as the roads all around us are covered. She’s been driving our Expedition primarily and in that truck you must select something if you want 4x4. You can go to slippery mode or just press the 4A or 4H button.

The Bronco Sport is better
(Badlands in particular) has all these modes and buttons. She struggles to select something appropriate when on and off dry pavement. I said when in doubt, in this vehicle, you can leave it in NORMAL the 4x4 is always active. She’s like, huh? The intelligent all-wheel-drive is active all-the-time. I realized some folks may NOT know this.

i just drove uphill on a snowy, icy dirt road with some ruts in normal mode. No problem.

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands ordered 12/17/2021 - Arrived 3/25/22
i just drove uphill on a snowy, icy dirt road with some ruts in normal mode. No problem.
Impossible!

You must have been in "snowy, icy dirt road with some ruts" mode. :cool:
Sponsored