dejones64

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer, BS BB
Does your BS return to the default mode or stay in Sport mode when you restart? I haven't quite figured out whether the modes are persistent for some period of time or not. I noticed I stayed in Sport mode after a fill up once but have not seen that happen again. Maybe a factor of time?
If I remember correctly, no matter what mode I'm in when I turn it off. It reverts back to Normal when I start it. I haven't driven it in a few days... I'll try in Sport mode and see if it sticks.
Sponsored

R. Bird

Outer Banks
First Name
Marvin Martian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Area 51 OB+OB, 360+, Tow Pkg. (2021)
Yours is working as intended. Auto start/stop will be disabled in certain drive modes or under certain conditions. When the AC is on Max or when the AC needs to run the compressor, it will run the engine. Sport mode, tow/haul mode and some of the other GOAT modes will disable the auto start/stop. Once you get a feel for it, you can also keep the engine running or get it started by lifting your foot off the brake just enough, but the brake will still hold because you don't let off completely.

Sport mode is great on the 2.0L. Really shows what that engine and the Bronco Sport are capable of. I don't really care for the fake engine noise they're pumping into he cabin in Sport Mode. That has become pretty common with a lot of trucks/ SUVs the last few years because some industry marketing geniuses think that people need to hear what sounds like a V8 rumbling away.
Does anyone know if they pump the sport mode engine sound in the 1.5? Since I’ve been waiting a week for palssap to deliver my BS, I have no clue…

OP
OP
Kachadurian

Kachadurian

Outer Banks
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Fiat 500
Does your BS return to the default mode or stay in Sport mode when you restart? I haven't quite figured out whether the modes are persistent for some period of time or not. I noticed I stayed in Sport mode after a fill up once but have not seen that happen again. Maybe a factor of time?
I don't think, the modes are sticky. IT seems like Mud and slipper are situational and should reset, but Sport and Eco are preferences and should be sticky. Mine always resets to Normal, and I can't find a way to change that in the settings.

JVteam

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Does anyone know if they pump the sport mode engine sound in the 1.5? Since I’ve been waiting a week for palssap to deliver my BS, I have no clue…
I haven't noticed any added engine noise on the 1.5

bk1287

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jetta
Curious about: "3. It's been a long time since I drove a Ford. My several cars have been Subaru, GM, Saturn, and Fiat. The Ford Outer Banks feels like a much more sophisticated vehicle. The tech is second only to maybe Honda, (I drive my girlfriend's CRV often) but I like the Ford Sync3 better. Sync4 must be something amazing."

Going test driving in the next few weeks, but owned a Mazda, VW, Kia, etc. My Telluride is by far the most upscale, but most expensive. Curious how the BS will compare to all.

VirtualJMills

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I don't think, the modes are sticky. IT seems like Mud and slipper are situational and should reset, but Sport and Eco are preferences and should be sticky. Mine always resets to Normal, and I can't find a way to change that in the settings.
Owner's Manual verbiage implies "Normal" G.O.A.T. mode is always the at-startup default. Nothing about adding or changing default mode.

Monkey

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, F-350, a Tesla, and more...
Owner's Manual verbiage implies "Normal" G.O.A.T. mode is always the at-startup default. Nothing about adding or changing default mode.
Everything reverts to normal state when the car is shut off. So Auto-start goes back to default on, GOAT/ driving mode to normal. Ford always does it this way. I’ve seen some people claim it’s because of fuel efficiency standards and whatnot, but I have never seen anything official that could substantiate that. Also other automakers will allow such things to be set differently as a default or to persist between drives. I suppose it’s for a level of simplicity so that every drive starts the same. Also a pain when you live somewhere with icy roads all winter and would like the snow/slick traction mode to be default. Especially when you have a wife or kid(s) that will drive the car and never think of changing such settings no matter how many times you might show them.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
I've have had my Outer Banks only three days,
5. I don't like rear window tint, or the inside mirror. I don't know which is to blame, but I feel like I can't even see out of the back window through the mirror. It seems like a day/night mirror stuck on dark. Am I alone on this?
Tom
This one seems odd, as I can see fine and will not tint my windows.
Really dumb question, you do know the day/night flip switch under the rv mirror is the opposite of most cars right ?
I’ve got my center mirror set and my view is the whole back window, I can see just fine..
Just sayin.
Just past 10,000 miles at 10 months of ownership, mines perfect for me.
lots of mountain roads for me, curvy twisty steep stuff. Small town, no traffic, no Interstates. Dash says 28 mpg’s. The math of miles divided by gallons says 26 mpg’s.
I am completely happy with my Base model.

OP
OP
Kachadurian

Kachadurian

Outer Banks
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Fiat 500
This one seems odd, as I can see fine and will not tint my windows.
Really dumb question, you do know the day/night flip switch under the rv mirror is the opposite of most cars right ?
I have an Outer Banks, I think it's an automatic mirror, and there's no switch. Onlike other autoimatic mirrors I've had, there is no override button.

Tom

max the dog

Badlands
First Name
warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
L8000, Excursion, F350, escape, BL, Hummer
Another congrats on your Bronco Sport. These are fun vehicles for sure.

Agree. I wanted to hate the auto start/stop when I got my Expedition a few years ago, but gave it a chance after a couple weeks of continuously disabling it. Once you’re used to it, no big deal, never really notice it. I had a bad experience with auto start on a Chevy Malibu that I was forced to drive as a loaner a few years back and that tainted my perception. But no, it’s ll good here.

Surprised me too. We have the Badlands with the 2.0L and still manage close to 27MPG most of the time.

The tech is decent. I own/ drive lots of different vehicles. Sync3 is good, but is definitely dated since I’ve been driving an Expedition with Sync3 since early 2018. Sync4 is better in some ways, but hasn’t shown to be much of an upgrade other than its ability to use larger screens more efficiently. The lack of advancement with Sync4 really comes down to it being end of life. Ford, like many automakers, will be transitioning to Android. I’m really surprised they’re not jumping to the new Android based system with the F-150 Lightning. GM just unveiled their updated Chevy Silverado pickups and they have made the Android shift.

Ford offers a good amount of tech features, but they’re notoriously bad with the implementation. Their wireless charging pad is incompatible with the iPhone 12 and a couple of the newer Samsung phones. The USB ports do not have any fast charge or smart features both the Type-A and Type-C are limited to 5V 0.5A and each pair share a 2.5W supply. To offer up some examples that are mildly infuriating.

Nah…. Lots of cars have cruise and driver assist functionality on the left. I think I‘ve owned more vehicles with it on the left….

Hmm…. You might want to check your mirror or have it looked at. The rear window tint is there, but shouldn’t make it super dark in the mirror. If it’s what you describe, the auto-dimming might be stuck on dim.

The 1.5L works great for a lot of people. I do wish they offered the 2.0L in more than just the top Badlands trim.
I have the 2.0 and am over 70 so don't act like a nut. Being gentle I'm getting 31 mpg around town. Will be taking a trip in 2 weeks, will try the eco mode and see. Only thing I do not like is no smart phone so a lot of features are not available to me.

CrashBend

Outer Banks
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee / Bronco Sport Outer Banks
I do not use the auto stop. It is not that it bothers me but it is not stopped long enough at anytime to really think it saves gas. I do like the hill hold and I use it all the time at stop lights. I can take my foot off the brake pedal and relax. I agree with all of the rest of your comments. I too was surprised by the highway mileage and pleased. We bought our OB a month ago and have almost a 1000 miles on it. My wife absolutely loves it. I did put General Grabber UHP 255 55 18 on the Bronco to give us better soft dirt and sand traction. That made a big difference over the stock tires.

OP
OP
Kachadurian

Kachadurian

Outer Banks
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Fiat 500
I do not use the auto stop. It is not that it bothers me but it is not stopped long enough at anytime to really think it saves gas.
It uses gas to idle after about 7 seconds. 4-8% according to Jason, and he's pretty good on the engineering.

Also, pay attention to the way our cars restart. For some cars you can hear the starter whine to restart. Our just make a small grunt. They restart by firing the cylinder closest to TDC and they are so well tweaked by the computers that that little nudge gets in running again, probably using less fuel that a traditional restart. I never had it before this car, and I''m already a fan.

I'd like to see Ford publish some stats.

IronMikeGolf

Outer Banks
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, BS OB
Auto Stop/Restart also is disabled when the battery needs charging.

IronMikeGolf

Outer Banks
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, BS OB
I do not use the auto stop. It is not that it bothers me but it is not stopped long enough at anytime to really think it saves gas. I do like the hill hold and I use it all the time at stop lights. I can take my foot off the brake pedal and relax. I agree with all of the rest of your comments. I too was surprised by the highway mileage and pleased. We bought our OB a month ago and have almost a 1000 miles on it. My wife absolutely loves it. I did put General Grabber UHP 255 55 18 on the Bronco to give us better soft dirt and sand traction. That made a big difference over the stock tires.
I start a trip with a trip odometer zeroed out. You can see the MPG drop at a stoplight if you are doing a lot of city driving. I've routinely seen 0.2 MPG drop at a light.

That said, my startup procedure if rotate the GOAT know three clicks. I like it zippier.

Morly

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Kodiak Brown Big Bend Bronco Sport
Just wanted to chime in and say that I love my BS, but I, too, have noticed some strangeness with the rear view mirror. It seems dark and I also see something almost mirror-like towards the top if I don't have it aimed down enough. I was wondering if something was wrong with it, as well...
Sponsored