New Bronco Sport Owners Break In Period

Are you following the break-in period suggestions?

• Total voters

Remotecellphone

Big Bend
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Altima Coupe
Congratulations to all the new Bronco Sport owners!!! Just wondering how you guys are doing during your 1,500 mile break-in period. Those that are trying to follow the break-in guidelines, are you avoiding freeways and taking side streets so that you are always varying your speeds?

Break-in suggestions for first 1,500 miles (compiled from the forum):
  • Don't go over 80mph
  • Avoid exceeding 4000 rpms
  • No full throttle starts
  • Vary your speed frequently (don't drive a constant speed)
  • Don't tow
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bobby L

Outer Banks
First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport, Audi RS5, Ford F-250
Yes basically because I do that with all my performance cars and feel like the little time it takes may add a little bit to at least the longevity & performance (inside it’s limits ?) but mostly the longevity/reliability.
There are of coarse several schools of thought on this, but it has worked for me!

OP
OP

Remotecellphone

Big Bend
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Altima Coupe
Yes basically because I do that with all my performance cars and feel like the little time it takes may add a little bit to at least the longevity & performance (inside it’s limits ?) but mostly the longevity/reliability.
There are of coarse several schools of thought on this, but it has worked for me!
That's awesome!! Are you also taking side streets instead of taking the freeways?

Bobby L

Outer Banks
First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport, Audi RS5, Ford F-250
That's awesome!! Are you also taking side streets instead of taking the freeways?
No I drive wherever I need to go, I just take it easy. But I go as fast as needed But not 100-140 like in my Audi! ?

McBrideless

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Lesabre
I’m still waiting for mine to come in, but that looks like pretty much just normal driving for me. Maybe with the exception of not going for a long single speed cruise on the highway for awhile.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Was easy for the first 250 miles being very careful not to use ECO or let it lug below the turbo.
From 250 miles to my current 480 I've been up the tach to 4000 rpm with an occasional pull to 4500.
Climbing the tach is noticeably smoother and quicker now. Have been letting it warm up ten minutes on cold mornings and It gets a full minute on subsequent starts for the rest of the day.

I'll never lean hard on this engine, see no need. Full throttle launches,, really ? I don't think so.
At this point, call It 500 miles I consider my engine broken in but will continue to drive it in the mid power band to 1,000 miles.
Mid power band IMHO with This 1.5 Liter Turbo is 1500 to 4500 rpm, That's really plenty.
I feel that using this engine from 4500 to 5500 rpm when ever the need arises will be safe and productive but going there will always be with smooth controlled Input.
The Sport Mode rocks.

Butter

Outer Banks
First Name
Christina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport 2021
Avoiding the highway isn’t an option so I vary speed and was watching my top speed. Pretty much drive as normal, which does involve a mix of side streets in city and suburbs.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
600 miles today so after my engine was warmed up I tapped 5,000 RPM several times with the Sport shift mode.
I smoothly and easily worked it Into 2rd gear then rolled the power on to the level it needed to shift the next 4 gears at 5,000 RPM.
Shifts were smooth, crisp and fast.
Getting it to shift right where I wanted it to was a breeze~~~
,,,Ok Ok maybe it was 4900 RPM ~:)

Eco mode was a little doggy at 500 miles, seems a tad less doggy at 600 but I will admit It was a bit warmer today.

John Comer

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Congratulations to all the new Bronco Sport owners!!! Just wondering how you guys are doing during your 1,500 mile break-in period. Those that are trying to follow the break-in guidelines, are you avoiding freeways and taking side streets so that you are always varying your speeds?

Break-in suggestions for first 1,500 miles (compiled from the forum):
  • Don't go over 80mph
  • Avoid exceeding 4000 rpms
  • No full throttle starts
  • Vary your speed frequently (don't drive a constant speed)
  • Don't tow
Is this just a forum suggestion or is there a break in list in owners manual ? Other than twing I do not see much on break in period.

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado