My introduction. Updating GPS? 4 PIN Trailer fix?

HungLo

Outer Banks
First Name
Siu
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, Tesla Model 3
Hi all, I'm super new here and also a first time Ford owner. My normal commuter is a Tesla Model 3, and we traded in my wife's old Kia so we can do more road trips to national parks, which we did with the Tesla. But the Tesla does have its limitations.

We shopped around a bit for a CUV to fit our needs. We were thinking about the Kia Seltos and Sportage. Almost went with the Sportage, but we decided to walk down the street to check out the Ford dealership before making a decision. We both loved the look of the bronco sport. After a little bit of research and playing with the configurator we got an idea of what fit our needs.
It was hard to find a Bronco Sport non-Bad Lands off-road review. Didn't go with Seltos because of its dual clutch trans and overheating issues (almost checked off all the boxes for what we were looking for). It was really down to the Sportage and Bronco Sport. Bronco Sport checked off most of our boxes and we knew it was definitely the more capable car and had better MPG on paper (non badlands version). Bronco Sport won.
We got the Outer Banks trim for more creature comforts (she doesn't like manually adjusting seats and wanted heated seats) and light off-roading with a hitch and copilot+. I needed something like Tesla's autopilot for long road trips. Guess I am spoiled from doing road trips on my Tesla.
I notice that the default NAV GPS on my Bronco Sport is way outdated. It didn't know my home address or even have the dealer's address. Is there a way to update the maps in the default NAVs GPS? Are updates free? In comparison my 2018 Tesla's GPS is amazing free and a version of google maps so it updates automatically. Guess I can always plug in my phone and load google maps, but that's a bit inconvenient and defeats the purpose of having Nav built into the car.
Also my 4pin connector for my hitch looks like this which I don't think is normal from other pictures. Do I need to take it to the dealer to fix?
Ford Bronco Sport My introduction. Updating GPS? 4 PIN Trailer fix? 20210329_212819

Sorry for long post. Thanks in advanced for your feed back.
Sponsored

pixlpush

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tern GSD Ebike (car free at the moment)
You might be able to update the maps but Ford's Nav is horrible compared to google maps. Ford NAV updates are very infrequent and you used to have to pay for them. CarPlay will be a better NAV solution all day long.

SLJ

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport OB
Will be using Google maps from my phone until I figure out how and where to mount my 7" Garmin GPS on the dash. I don't want it on top of the dash so hoping I can figure out where to mount it without blocking the center screen. Didn't get the Ford Nav because I knew it would be next to worthless. That trailer wiring connector shouldn't be hanging.

Martinjv71

Badlands
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BadLands
Hi all, I'm super new here and also a first time Ford owner. My normal commuter is a Tesla Model 3, and we traded in my wife's old Kia so we can do more road trips to national parks, which we did with the Tesla. But the Tesla does have its limitations.

We shopped around a bit for a CUV to fit our needs. We were thinking about the Kia Seltos and Sportage. Almost went with the Sportage, but we decided to walk down the street to check out the Ford dealership before making a decision. We both loved the look of the bronco sport. After a little bit of research and playing with the configurator we got an idea of what fit our needs.
It was hard to find a Bronco Sport non-Bad Lands off-road review. Didn't go with Seltos because of its dual clutch trans and overheating issues (almost checked off all the boxes for what we were looking for). It was really down to the Sportage and Bronco Sport. Bronco Sport checked off most of our boxes and we knew it was definitely the more capable car and had better MPG on paper (non badlands version). Bronco Sport won.
We got the Outer Banks trim for more creature comforts (she doesn't like manually adjusting seats and wanted heated seats) and light off-roading with a hitch and copilot+. I needed something like Tesla's autopilot for long road trips. Guess I am spoiled from doing road trips on my Tesla.
I notice that the default NAV GPS on my Bronco Sport is way outdated. It didn't know my home address or even have the dealer's address. Is there a way to update the maps in the default NAVs GPS? Are updates free? In comparison my 2018 Tesla's GPS is amazing free and a version of google maps so it updates automatically. Guess I can always plug in my phone and load google maps, but that's a bit inconvenient and defeats the purpose of having Nav built into the car.
Also my 4pin connector for my hitch looks like this which I don't think is normal from other pictures. Do I need to take it to the dealer to fix?
Ford Bronco Sport My introduction. Updating GPS? 4 PIN Trailer fix? 20210329_212819

Sorry for long post. Thanks in advanced for your feed back.
Come on....that harness is obviously pulled out with those wires exposed.

wilbur_xmas

Outer Banks
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
As others pointed out, your harness should not look like that. Zooming in on the picture it appears the plastic snap on the back of the harness broke which is why it is hanging. Get your dealer to replace the harness and reattach it.

I used the Nav once and it seemed to respond well to voice commands, but that was probably the one and only time since I need MY music so my phone will always be plugged in and then I may as well just use google maps. Also why I didn't feel strongly about the wireless charging pad that we opted to not get, since you have to plug in for AA/AC anyway...

OP
OP

HungLo

Outer Banks
First Name
Siu
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, Tesla Model 3
As others pointed out, your harness should not look like that. Zooming in on the picture it appears the plastic snap on the back of the harness broke which is why it is hanging. Get your dealer to replace the harness and reattach it.

I used the Nav once and it seemed to respond well to voice commands, but that was probably the one and only time since I need MY music so my phone will always be plugged in and then I may as well just use google maps. Also why I didn't feel strongly about the wireless charging pad that we opted to not get, since you have to plug in for AA/AC anyway...
Got an appointment on Wednesday for them to address the 4pin harness. Hopefully it's something fast and easy. Just read that Sync 4 is the wireless AA/AC. Sucks they didn't put it into our 2021 Bronco Sports. I think I'll look into some shorter USB wires just for the AA/AC.
Sponsored