DesertRat19

Badlands
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Golf Sportwagen, 2023 BS Badlands
Hello everyone, I am currently in the market for a new vehicle. For the first time I am buying an off road capable vehicle with on road handling. I’ve rented a few Jeep Wranglers and it was an easy no. The Bronco Sport seems to check a lot of boxes and in researching came across this forum. Our main family car will continue to be a VW Golf Sportwagen with cargo top. AWD but low clearance

I live in Phoenix, so there’s plenty of dirt roads that I would like to travel in National Forests and county parks. I do photography as a side hustle and there’s lots of places I’d love to go but need some off roading chops.

Types of roads: typically hard clay with good size rocks, washes that can be sandy, if it’s rained they get pretty muddy. If it’s exposed to run off there will be trenches cutting through road, and sometimes deep ruts from bad drivers.

considerations: pricing, need to fit two convertible seats in back occasionally, no plans for towing, will need either cargo box or hitch rack for extra storage. Apple car play, heated seats, blind spot help and rear view camera.

Looking at heritage, OBX, BL and BL limited.
Would love some advice and hellos!
Sponsored

jkeaton

Big Bend
First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Big Bend / 2013 Escape Titanium
Welcome to the forum! What do you mean by "convertible seats" in the back? Child seats? Be aware the back seats are very tight. Not a lot of room. Have you test driven one yet?

OP
OP
DesertRat19

DesertRat19

Badlands
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Correct, it’s a type of child seat. Based on specs the Bronco Sport as more leg room than our VW.

OP
OP
DesertRat19

DesertRat19

Badlands
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh and yes, I’ve test driven an Outer Banks trim.

MoFoCo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Transit 250, VW eGolf, 2021 Badlands
Welcome to the forum! What do you mean by "convertible seats" in the back? Child seats? Be aware the back seats are very tight. Not a lot of room. Have you test driven one yet?
I'd second this especially if you're tall. It's otherwise a great family car. Will handle the roads you mentioned with ease, if you have any doubt go with the Badlands for the AT tires. Easy to clean interior, lots of cargo space, and one of the safest compact SUVs on the road.

My kids are 11 and 9, and they are fine with the back seat.

Jmuns

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport BL
Badlands if you want the best stock clearance and off-road ability. What didn’t you like about the Wrangler?

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
Personally, I would go with the Badlands and the optional tires. Base version is cloth and still get the items you are looking for. Bonus is now you can get it without the black roof which in Phoenix is a must IMO.

OP
OP
DesertRat19

DesertRat19

Badlands
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands if you want the best stock clearance and off-road ability. What didn’t you like about the Wrangler?
Any time I got above 50 the handling became unwieldy on both. One of them was so bad I’d have to decelerate to allow the front wheels to realign

OP
OP
DesertRat19

DesertRat19

Badlands
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd second this especially if you're tall. It's otherwise a great family car. Will handle the roads you mentioned with ease, if you have any doubt go with the Badlands for the AT tires. Easy to clean interior, lots of cargo space, and one of the safest compact SUVs on the road.

My kids are 11 and 9, and they are fine with the back seat.
Do all the trims have same cargo space?
I’m not worried about rear leg room. More ease of installing and taking out car seats. It’s easy on out VW and the legroom specs are about 1” less than bronco sport but maybe anchor setup is different.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Do all the trims have same cargo space?
I’m not worried about rear leg room. More ease of installing and taking out car seats. It’s easy on out VW and the legroom specs are about 1” less than bronco sport but maybe anchor setup is different.
Yes, unless they have the cargo management system installed. The CMS reduces max width by several inches near the middle of the cargo area to accommodate a rack system for the shelf.

Jmuns

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport BL
Cargo Management System may not be a bad idea for you if photography is a side hustle and you want to hide your equipment without using a blanket or having 5% tint installed all around. Something to consider because the Bronco Sport doesn’t have any cargo area cover that can be installed afterwards.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
Price and availability can be perhaps a determining factor in which trim package and model you go with.

OP
OP
DesertRat19

DesertRat19

Badlands
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, unless they have the cargo management system installed. The CMS reduces max width by several inches near the middle of the cargo area to accommodate a rack system for the shelf.
Is it better to not have a CMS installed and go third party?

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Hello everyone, I am currently in the market for a new vehicle. For the first time I am buying an off road capable vehicle with on road handling. I’ve rented a few Jeep Wranglers and it was an easy no. The Bronco Sport seems to check a lot of boxes and in researching came across this forum. Our main family car will continue to be a VW Golf Sportwagen with cargo top. AWD but low clearance

I live in Phoenix, so there’s plenty of dirt roads that I would like to travel in National Forests and county parks. I do photography as a side hustle and there’s lots of places I’d love to go but need some off roading chops.

Types of roads: typically hard clay with good size rocks, washes that can be sandy, if it’s rained they get pretty muddy. If it’s exposed to run off there will be trenches cutting through road, and sometimes deep ruts from bad drivers.

considerations: pricing, need to fit two convertible seats in back occasionally, no plans for towing, will need either cargo box or hitch rack for extra storage. Apple car play, heated seats, blind spot help and rear view camera.

Looking at heritage, OBX, BL and BL limited.
Would love some advice and hellos!
The top 3 levels of the BS are the Heritage Limited, First Edition and Badlands models. Those models have the top drivetrain and are the most offroad capable. They are also the only models that have tow hooks, metal bash plates and twin clutch rear differential that can be locked, front looking camera, additional GOAT modes and optional offroad tires.
The other models while more than capable of what most owners will actually do with them and are a bit less offroad oriented. All have the 1.5 liter 3 cylinder Dragon engine. They can be had with varying degrees of creature comforts. Models with the 1.5 also get better fuel mileage if that's of concern.
You just need to find your comfort level to choose what's right for you.

RogueRodney

Badlands
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport Badlands Atlas Blue Metallic
DesertRat19:

Hey, welcome to the forum, personally this place has helped me a ton!

I have a 23 Bronco Sport Badlands without the Premium Package, but with the Cargo Management System. My understanding is that if you don't have the CMS there is NO 3rd party way to hide your valuables in a trunk area.

I didn't look at Wranglers for the same reasons you didn't. A Wrangler at speed is not a good vehicle. I owned one in the 90's (2 doors) and it was just a terrible car for a young driver (numerous times on two wheels, etc). In AZ, NM, TX, OK, where high speeds are normal, I would think that anything around 95 in a Wrangler is just stupid (I did this in a relatively new Rubicon in Idaho about 1.5 years ago, and it was not a good experience). The Bronco Sport at speed it pretty stable.

The Big Bronco, and Gladiator do handle better than the Wrangler, but neither handle well in my opinion. You could get a Big Bronco for around $40K I think, but New Gladiators were pretty steep.

Outside of the Bronco Sport, I would think your only other Off Road type options would be a Toyota 4 Runner and the Subaru Outback (likely the Forester edition).

I think some other members have Subaru's and can likely weigh in on them.

It all comes down to preference and budget. You likely will be able to mod the Toyota 4Runner more than the Bronco Sport, and I've heard you can mod the hell out of a Subaru.

Anyway, if you are looking at the Bronco Sport you likely already know your options in engines, basically if you want the bigger engine/more power, you need a Badlands, but I've heard good things on the smaller engines.

While you do get more Stock Clearance from the Badlands, you also pay for it with the larger engine.

There are many after market lift kits for both the Badlands and Non-Badlands versions that would put the height back on par and may save you some coin...

Just some thoughts man...

No matter what your decision, Happy Trails and let us know what you decide.

RR
Sponsored