Robert Flavor

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, 2000 Kawasaki KLR650
I've owned my car since July 29th, already put 10k miles on it. This Saturday, I was in Hondo, Texas visiting some family. My cousin offered to drive his F-250, but it has really bad aftermarket suspension so I said I would drive instead (whoops). I was finishing up taking a shower when someone bolted in and yelled "HAIL". I almost ran out after the car until I saw the hail was near baseball-sized, so that would have been a bad idea. I could really do nothing but stand there and watch my car be destroyed.

If you're curious, the Bronco got it the worst by far. The other cars were no more protected and sustained far less damage (GMC 1500, Ford F250, Chevy Traverse, GMC Sierra). Every panel on the bronco is steel apart from the hood which is aluminum.

5 minutes of small baseball to large golfball sized hail. 2 short videos of the storm are attached, including dashcam.

Damages:
countless dents (over 300 on the hood alone, at least 25% have creased and are irreparable), cracked Windshield, cracked third brake light. Every single panel on my car has a dent. Miraculously, my moonroof survived. It's hard to get good pictures of all the damage, just know, it's bad.

Repair status so far:
12/21/2021 -Had my damage assessed by Planet Ford in Spring/The Woodlands Texas. The PDR guy was blown away by the damages. He doesn't think he can repair the dents that are on the crease next to my side windows because of the difficulty to access them. Maybe 2 of the panels he (and I) feel confident he can repair like-new with PDR.

The serviceman at Ford wants to replace the hood and roof and Bondo/repaint every other panel with damage beyond PDR. I am adamant that my car not be Bondo'd and repainted. They say that this will require them to repaint every panel on my car apart from the undamaged one. I think it's only fair that having a from the factory car that is less than 6 months old, that anything requiring Bondo be replaced instead of repaired no matter the wait. I'm waiting to hear more info on part wait times right now. (edit: they never got back to me so I moved on)

1/10/22 - I brought it to 1488 Collision after having to wait for the holidays to finish. Their estimator basically wanted to take my keys and have me completely excluded from the process. I wanted to know a few basic things before handing over my car to them: how the repair was going to be performed, what the quote was going to be, how long it would take to get parts, etc. They told me they don't "preorder" parts for a repair and if I wanted to use their shop, there was a good chance my car was going to sit in a lot for four months. I didn't like that answer, so I left.

4/15/2022 - I've picked up my fully repaired vehicle from Refined Collision and am happy. See my last post on this thread.

Ford Bronco Sport My Badlands was destroyed by hail. IMG_0962

Ford Bronco Sport My Badlands was destroyed by hail. IMG_0964

Ford Bronco Sport My Badlands was destroyed by hail. IMG_0968 2

Ford Bronco Sport My Badlands was destroyed by hail. IMG_0982

Sponsored

Last edited:

loewymartin

Badlands
First Name
MBMartin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
?? I'm so sorry. I think I seriously would have sat down next to it and cried.

Rgill

Badlands
First Name
Vegas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
I've owned my car since July 29th, already put 10k miles on it. This Saturday, I was in Hondo, Texas visiting some family. My cousin offered to drive his F-250, but it has really bad aftermarket suspension so I said I would drive instead (whoops). I was finishing up taking a shower when someone bolted in and yelled "HAIL". I almost ran out after the car until I saw the hail was near baseball-sized, so that would have been a bad idea. I could really do nothing but stand there and watch my car be destroyed.

If you're curious, the Bronco got it the worst by far. The other cars were no more protected and sustained far less damage (GMC 1500, Ford F250, Chevy Traverse, GMC Sierra). Every panel on the bronco is steel apart from the hood which is aluminum.

5 minutes of small baseball to large golfball sized hail. 2 short videos of the storm are attached, including dashcam.

Damages:
around 100 dents (at least 25% have creased and are irreparable), cracked Windshield, cracked third brake light. Every single panel on my car apart from the passenger front quarter panel has a dent. Miraculously, my moonroof survived. It's hard to get good pictures of all the damage, just know, it's bad.

Repair status so far:
12/12/2021 -Had my damage assessed by Planet Ford in Spring/The Woodlands Texas. The PDR guy was blown away by the damages. He doesn't think he can repair the dents that are on the crease next to my side windows because of the difficulty to access them. Maybe 2 of the panels he (and I) feel confident he can repair like-new with PDR.

The serviceman at Ford wants to replace the hood and roof and Bondo/repaint every other panel with damage beyond PDR. I am adamant that my car not be Bondo'd and repainted. They say that this will require them to repaint every panel on my car apart from the undamaged one. I think it's only fair that having a from the factory car that is less than 6 months old, that anything requiring Bondo be replaced instead of repaired no matter the wait. I'm waiting to hear more info on part wait times right now.

Ford Bronco Sport My Badlands was destroyed by hail. IMG_0962

Ford Bronco Sport My Badlands was destroyed by hail. IMG_0964

Ford Bronco Sport My Badlands was destroyed by hail. IMG_0968 2

Ford Bronco Sport My Badlands was destroyed by hail. IMG_0982

DAMMMMMNNNN…nothing like watching your brand new baby get pummeled.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
Sorry, that really sucks. Same thing happened to my Escape when it was two weeks old. It was all repaired with PDR. I was amazed. Several right on the corner of the body panels like yours. I thought there was no way they could get those out. But, they did. It got hit again around 5 years later. Golf ball size hail. Looked like someone hit the hood with a ball peen hammer. Again, it all came out. To this day (16 years) only one dent ever returned.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
Here’s what a 3 inch hail stone did to one of my skylights in Kerrville. Those big boys are not as frequent as the golf ball size ones but boy, they do pack a punch. Glad you are ok. The car can be fixed.
Ford Bronco Sport My Badlands was destroyed by hail. D06E7578-3876-41B6-962D-E34DA65D4C26

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
yeah that's rough, bummer. hail is one of my biggest fears when it comes to my cars.
they are always gonna go the most cost effective route, and most times its repair rather than replace. especially with parts shortages right now.
a good PDR tech will get alot of that out, the tools and technology is def there. just needs a good technician.
that being said, they will pull out the majority of the dents, so they only have to use minimal filler. people think bondo / filler and they think the entire vehicle will be bondo front back and top to bottom. however once again, a good technician will get 95% of the dent out so minimal filler is used, most likley a skim coat.
i was an autobody mechanic for almost 15 years, never seen a comeback for cracking bondo or any other issues. products are solid nowadays.

it all comes down to A) a good shop, and B) a good technician.

either way, best of luck.

fastlax16

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport Badlands, 2019 VW Golf R
I wouldn't be taking a car with that damage to a dealership. Dealerships are for warranty work and basic maintenance at most.

Find a well regarded independent body shop. They should be painting more than the damaged panel anyway if they are blending. Are you not using your insurance?

Rgill

Badlands
First Name
Vegas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
I wouldn't be taking a car with that damage to a dealership. Dealerships are for warranty work and basic maintenance at most.

Find a well regarded independent body shop. They should be painting more than the damaged panel anyway if they are blending. Are you not using your insurance?
Agree. When I had a car damaged in an accident I took it to the luxury car body shop where they had jags, land rovers, etc. My car came out looking like brand new. There were Ferrari owners at that body shop waiting while dings and dents were being worked on because they were that good.

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
Agree. When I had a car damaged in an accident I took it to the luxury car body shop where they had jags, land rovers, etc. My car came out looking like brand new. There were Ferrari owners at that body shop waiting while dings and dents were being worked on because they were that good.
and that sounds like the type of shop you want to be at.

dejones64

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer, BS BB
So sorry, that's really some crappy luck. We had a storm and I was sweatin' it out about hail.

Wish you the best on repairs.

Gartallica

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I took my Lotus to a similar body shop (D&V) in Virginia and it came back amazing. They do all the body work for the local Lambo/Ferrari/Alfa dealership as well as luxury cars damaged from rich folks driving drunk (their words, not mine). Their skills are on a whole different level. I loved walking through their school and seeing all the vehicles they were working on when I'd go to check progress.

BroncoMT

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maxda3
Ouch. Gut wrenching to say the least. Got hit, myself, 2 weeks after taking mine home. It was only ping pong sized hail but still did damage to the aluminum hood. Took it to a body shop and they got every dent fixed. I love my BS but hate the aluminum hood.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
Sorry to see that damage. I would look around for a good PDR shop who specialized in massaging that metal back into shape. Read online reviews ect. I got dent in hood of my black '16 F150 and owner of the PDR shop fixed it himself. No matter what angle I look that dent is gone and that on black vehicle. So good PDR shop can bend that metal back to how it was.

Blynne

Badlands
First Name
Bridget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 Mustang GT, 21 Escape, 22 BS Badlands
I'm so sorry that happened. Hope you can get it fixed up good. Keep us posted.
Sponsored