Moonroof...please explain why you would want one...

PirateBrahm

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
FWIW, I had a sunroof on my 2008 Sport Trac. I enjoyed it for a while, but when I installed J-hooks on my roof rack, the wind noise was too loud and I rarely used it again.
Sponsored

Sprat

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, 2019 Acura RDX
I am Team I wonā€™t buy a vehicle without one! Iā€™m especially fond of panoramic ones! My BB has the power moonroof and I will say itā€™s a bit of a let down in size (compared to my RDX pano) but I love it and use it all the time. I live at the beach and prefer outdoor air to AC (unless I am getting all dolled up to go out somewhere). Aside from a minor drain issue on my old BMW X3 sunroof; Iā€™ve never had an issue with any of mine (2 Mazdas, a Toyota, a Rover, a Benz and an Acura).

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
great for photographing hot air balloons flying overhead. I agree with the other person that they are a better opening when the dogs are in the car
Iā€™d forget to close it and find my dog on the roof after I walked away for a sec. toenail scratches all over the roof. No thanks :ā€™P

BHShaman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Highlander
Short Legs and Long Torso put me into the headliner in some vehicles.
Moonroof adds some space between me and the roof.

Also good to lift it when you don't want noisy window flow.
I hardly ever use the full open feature.

Have had moonroof (manual or power) for 20 years straight.
Never had an issue. Lucky I guess. But my 2007 Highlander is still working perfect.

Flash

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I look at a moonroof the same way I look at putting skylights in the roof of my house.

I believe it's just asking for leaks and other problems.

bradkz

Big Bend
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Big Bend
I love my moonroof, and as I said in another post here, having a moonroof was a deal-breaker to buy a BS. I live in LA, and have always been jealous of convertible owners.... Not so practical, tho. My compromise is a moonroof. (A bit disappointing size-wise on the BS.) I always have it open unless frigid or raining. I held out buying a BS 'til I got lucky getting one with a roof.

JAD67428

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport. 1994 Ford Mustang GT.
Well I could go either way for it or against it. Mine has the moon roof I like it itā€™s nice. Itā€™s my first vehicle with one. Mine was a dealer ordered vehicle. So it was take it or leave it, because the dealer told me this was his last vehicle for the year, he wasnā€™t getting anymore inventory of Bronco Sports.

ErikaFrzn

Big Bend
First Name
Erika
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 Bronco Sport, '15 Explorer, ā€˜22 Trail Boss
In Vegas we do everything we can to keep the light out! :crackup:
This is the reason for me not wanting one plus all the possible problems. Even with that, I am still debating whether or not to ask my dealer to add one to my BB on order! Lol

jmtapiar

Badlands
First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 BS Badlands, 19 QX60, 19 Jetta Rline 19 Swift t
I find the moonroof or pano roofs completely useless... Here in Mexico is too hot to have it open during day time but on the other hand, there is no high trim level in any car maker that doesn't have pano or at least sunroof. I have had cars with panos for the last 15 years without any issue but it mainly comes from the fact that I don't open them.
In cars sometimes look nice/sporty if you just pop it up and show you have a sunroof but in SUVs with the roof rails and bars it gets lost in the middle of it.
In VW cars when you drive on the highway with the sunroof open, it shows the warning that your fuel economy is being impacted by having the sunroof and /or windows open and suggest you to close them all.

Adam CW

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Our 2019 Escape Titanium had a panoramic moonroof.

It looked nice and never gave us any problems. Other than that it was completely pointless.

I think we used it once or twice just to test it out.

coopny

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BS BL
Moonroof is a matter of opinion. First is money, second is potential negative impacts.

In my last car (a 2015 Fusion) the difference in the height of the headliner to accommodate the moonroof would be an issue for taller drivers, but the Bronco is so boxy and tall already, that it's likely not an issue. I had a moonroof in that car for almost 8 years and never had an issue with it (either functionality, motors, water, ingress). I didn't use it every day but I would use it to get some fresh air in the car without being battered by the wind, and I generally left the shade open.

To me, the ability to open it for air (occasionally) and to get extra sunlight (most of the time) is a pro worth spending the money on it. It is considered "luxury" and does increase the resale value.

If you never use a moonroof, then at least be thankful that it's not bundled into some larger package with other options you may want... unlike the fusion (in which the moonroof was an option, but it was also required to get the Homelink garage door opener), in the BS BL it's a totally separable option. So if you want to "tick all the boxes" except the moonroof, you can do so. (Asian automakers in particular are bigger on trimming - you want an upgraded stereo? too bad, you have to take the moonroof with it.)

67L48

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F-350, 2023 BS BL
Moonroofs exist for one primary reason: it's a cash grab.

Look at the comments here (and elsewhere) and you'll see a pretty big divide ... basically a 50-50 split on who values them. Yet, when I go to the lot, I don't see a 50-50 split on vehicles that have them. At Lariat trim and above, literally every truck has the optional moonroof ($1,500+ on the trucks).

It was one of the reasons I ordered my current F-350. I didn't want a moonroof and I didn't want 20" wheels. But, anything over an XL trim on any lot tended to have both of those options.

As for the utility, it's very much a personal preference. I have owned 2 Fords with moonroofs. Both failed. I was fortunate that the failures were in the closed position. But, you couldn't give me a moonroof today. It's an absolute deal-killer for me on a Ford vehicle. I'd pay a premium to remove the moonroof.

I think that on my F-150 that failed, one of the reasons was that I never used it ... lack of use causes the lubrication and plastic parts to get brittle, freeze, etc. For me, if it's nice enough to use the moonroof, it's too hot and I don't want the sun beating down on me. If it's cool enough that the sun won't be beating down on me, I don't want the loss of heat from opening it up. I just never have a use for the moonroof. My wife's car has a moonroof (Subaru) and that thing never gets used. Ever. It's just a worthless feature for me and my family.

Even if you like moonroofs, I can't imagine how anyone could like the BS rendition. That thing is tiny. The one we test drove had a moonroof, of course. It was one of the smallest moonroofs I've seen.

Bronco2.7

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-350 civic CRV
Let me begin by saying I have friends and family who will not buy a car that does not have one, but help me understand the usefulness/attraction of the option. To me, it is just another potential source of future issues and seems to be a glorified vent on a vehicle. My wife has owned several cars with this feature and I can't recall any time where I looked up at the sky through it while sitting still, let alone while driving down the road. Am I missing something?
We live in the far northwest. 80 miles from the Canadian border. This is God's country here. Driving on roads in the forest, by the lakes and rivers, spotting abundant wildlife, with the smell of nature all around with the roof open, cool breeze is awesome.

Tigger

Heritage
First Name
Tigger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I grew up with no air conditioning and if we ever had air in a car, we werenā€™t allowed to turn it on. I still donā€™t like air in the house or my vehicles, although I will do it on the highway. I always use the sun roof in town, although I wish the Sports opened more.
Sponsored