jmhpi49

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
I have Michelin Primacy AS tires on my 22 OB. Only 27k miles and they're in need of replacement.

Almost wrecked over the weekend because I almost hydroplaned off the road.

Michelin tires used to be good.

Had my oil changed at the dealer today and complained about the tires. He said they measured the tread and they were fine. I took the service writer out and showed him the tread. He agreed they were no good. He said they were running a sale on tires.

I already ordered.a set of BFG Trail TA's. Cant wait to get them on!
Sponsored

thomasm23

Outer Banks
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I have Michelin Primacy AS tires on my 22 OB. Only 27k miles and they're in need of replacement.

Almost wrecked over the weekend because I almost hydroplaned off the road.

Michelin tires used to be good.

Had my oil changed at the dealer today and complained about the tires. He said they measured the tread and they were fine. I took the service writer out and showed him the tread. He agreed they were no good. He said they were running a sale on tires.

I already ordered.a set of BFG Trail TA's. Cant wait to get them on!
I have rotated mine (same tires) every oil change. I got 65,000 miles before replacing.

Take care of your tires and you will get lots of miles.

Zolutar

Outer Banks
First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport OB+, 2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
I had the same problem, Michelin tires dead at under 30000KM....like thats 20k miles. Sent to manufacturer for assessment as they even said that was way below expectations. Early wear and other concerns. Dealer even said OEM tires are lesser quality than retail version of the same tire.

petegee77

Big Bend
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
I had the same problem, Michelin tires dead at under 30000KM....like thats 20k miles. Sent to manufacturer for assessment as they even said that was way below expectations. Early wear and other concerns. Dealer even said OEM tires are lesser quality than retail version of the same tire.
Well that certainly doesn't sound well at all. Lesser quality..... unreal

thomasm23

Outer Banks
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Your statement is not correct. OE tires and the same tire purchased as a replacement are of the same design and build.
Auto manufactures select specific tires to give the owner the ride and performance that the vehicle is designed for.
After-market replacement tires are always an option.
Extreme wear on any tire is caused by the rubber design (softer rubber for performance), incorrect air pressure, lack of tire rotation, suspension out of alignment and suspension component wear.
If you are looking for a high mileage tire, you may want to look at a Michelin Defender 2. I also have a 2009 Ford Escape. I am getting 125,000 miles before replacement on these tires.
Always buy quality tires and care for them. You will be rewarded with long tire life.

OP
OP

jmhpi49

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
I have rotated mine (same tires) every oil change. I got 65,000 miles before replacing.

Take care of your tires and you will get lots of miles.
The dealer rotates them with every oil change. The dealer even said they have different grades of tire.

Discount Tire

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
discountti.re
Vehicle(s)
All Things FORD
@jmhpi49 it is not uncommon for factory tires to get low mileage. That is why they do not come with a mileage promise from the factory. The BFGoodrich Trail T/A is a solid choice for a replacement. Many forum members use and highly recommend that tire. Would love to see your review on them after installation. :thumbsup:

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
The dealer rotates them with every oil change. The dealer even said they have different grades of tire.
Sure, there are different grades of tires. You can certainly make an argument that the tires selected by manufacturers as OEM are lower quality than other tires available, and it would be hard to argue with that. OF COURSE, there are better tires available, just like there are better brakes, better hoses, better materials, etc., etc., etc. Hell, there are better CARS available. But how much are you willing to pay for them?

That's not the question, however. The question is are the tires from a given manufacturer that Ford installs at the factory different from the same size/spec tires you can buy at any tire store? When it comes to the Falken Wildpeaks, the answer is no. The 235/65R17 Wildpeak A/3TW installed as an OEM option is the same tire you can buy at your local Walmart (or other tire retailer). I would hazard a guess the same is true of ALL OEM tires; i.e. the tire installed at the factory is the same tire you can buy at a retailer.

OP
OP

jmhpi49

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Your statement is not correct. OE tires and the same tire purchased as a replacement are of the same design and build.
Auto manufactures select specific tires to give the owner the ride and performance that the vehicle is designed for.
Extreme wear on any tire is caused by the rubber design (softer rubber for performance), incorrect air pressure, lack of tire rotation, suspension out of alignment and suspension component wear.
If you are looking for a high mileage tire, you may want to look at a Michelin Defender 2. I also have a 2009 Ford Escape. I am getting 125,000 miles before replacement on these tires.
Always buy quality tires and care for them. You will be rewarded with long tire life.
The tires are taken care of. The deal
Sure, there are different grades of tires. You can certainly make an argument that the tires selected by manufacturers as OEM are lower quality than other tires available, and it would be hard to argue with that. OF COURSE, there are better tires available, just like there are better brakes, better hoses, better materials, etc., etc., etc. Hell, there are better CARS available. But how much are you willing to pay for them?

That's not the question, however. The question is are the tires from a given manufacturer that Ford installs at the factory different from the same size/spec tires you can buy at any tire store? When it comes to the Falken Wildpeaks, the answer is no. The 235/65R17 Wildpeak A/3TW installed as an OEM option is the same tire you can buy at your local Walmart (or other tire retailer). I would hazard a guess the same is true of ALL OEM tires; i.e. the tire installed at the factory is the same tire you can buy at a retailer.
Even on the Michelin website, there are 2 different tires with the same speed rating. One had a 50k warranty the other a 25k warranty.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Even on the Michelin website, there are 2 different tires with the same speed rating. One had a 50k warranty the other a 25k warranty.
Yup. Every tire manufacturer sells different models. Look up the specific tire on your car to get specific data. I would be very surprised if the OEM tire installed on your car is warranted for only 25K. The Falken Wildpeak OEM tire has a 55K warranty.

Zolutar

Outer Banks
First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport OB+, 2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
say what you will but the service manager said this to me so if its BS, that may be so.
I used to drive over 60k miles a year for a couple decades, so I have gone through my fair share of tires, OEM and replacement and in my experience, replacement tires tended to run closer to its advertised lifespan as opposed to the ones that came with the car. The difference was nominal. These tires on the bronco sport though.... just plain wore out at half its expected lifespan. with proper care. there were indications of "air pockets" embedded in the rubber which also was definitely not normal.

wessermgm

Big Bend
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 Platinum FX4 SCrew; 2023 BS BB Silver

This is 100% true (as is just about everything Mark S says). However to elaborate further, typically the OEM tire for that brand is uniquely different from the other sizes of that same branded tire. Take the Falken Wildpeak AT3W mentioned above. The OEM size of 235/65/17 is much lighter and less aggressive than the other sizes of the same tire. So much so that some question whether it should even be called a AT3W (disclaimer, I have them on my Sport). However, if you order a 235/65/17 in that tire you get that same OEM tire. That is the one they sell to everyone, it just happens to be different than all of the other versions/sizes of the same tire.

Thus, the dealer is likely correct. Chances are Michelin contracted with Ford for the OEM tires for the OB the same as Falken did for the optional 235s. Ford has requirements regarding weight and ride quality that Michelin would likely consent to for that particular size of the Primacy. This means that it will likely not wear the same as the other counterparts at different sizes that are not operating under these conditions. Chances are Michelin still sells this size to all persons aftermarket as well, much like Falken.

BravoAlpha

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Expedition MAX Silverado Z71
Is the OP suggesting that the OEM installed Michelin Primacy AS is a different tire than a Michelin Primacy AS that may be purchased later on from Costco or Discount Tire?
Sponsored