casual_reader

Outer Banks
First Name
MJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport OB / Focus RS
I hear yeah. Thankfully it isn't too dusty in my area.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Ok so, the OEM Intake hose is built to absorb the almost constant movement of the engine that's held in place by flexible rubber motor mounts and connected at the other end to the Ridgid chassis mounted air breather box.......
A six pack of cheap beer says the breather box will crack and let unfiltered air into the intake. Severely shortening the turbo, piston rings and cylinder wall life...
Ok what am I missing here ?
Is there actually enough flex In that after market smooth hose ??
If there Is why didn't Ford R&D spec it ? It has to be cheaper to make ???

Last edited:
OP
OP
casual_reader

casual_reader

Outer Banks
First Name
MJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All fair points. Cost, NVH, predictability, and reliability, are what car manufacturers are usually after.

But you missed what I posted originally. Quicker Turbo spool due to less turbulent air flow. I cut enough of the hose, to ensure there is flex to accommodate for engine movement. This is a 1.3l, it's not outputting gobs of torque to be an issue..yet. if it was, I would be addressing that first. Before I did anything else. Supporting mods first, before power. That's usually, my game plan with my vechiles. See'ing how there's pretty much nothing out there for the BS. Custom seems to be the only route for me. I've been modifying cars for years. So this isn't my first rodeo.

fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport ,MB Sprinter 4x4
Careful with the K&N filters; if you live in a dusty area in can do more damage then gains......a lot of mixed views on them
OK I'm game , what does it damage ? Its just a synthetic cloth material , not much different then a stock filter , its the added oil or treatment that makes it a better trap for small particles .

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
All fair points. Cost, NVH, predictability, and reliability, are what car manufacturers are usually after.

But you missed what I posted originally. Quicker Turbo spool due to less turbulent air flow. I cut enough of the hose, to ensure there is flex to accommodate for engine movement. This is a 1.3l, it's not outputting gobs of torque to be an issue..yet. if it was, I would be addressing that first. Before I did anything else. Supporting mods first, before power. That's usually, my game plan with my vechiles. See'ing how there's pretty much nothing out there for the BS. Custom seems to be the only route for me. I've been modifying cars for years. So this isn't my first rodeo.
I hear ya..btw it's a 1.5L it's all in the details. I do like your concept so shoot us a part # for that tube. Am I right in assuming the OEM hose is really made that way for ease of servicing ?

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
OK I'm game , what does it damage ? Its just a synthetic cloth material , not much different then a stock filter , its the added oil or treatment that makes it a better trap for small particles .
I run K&N in several vehicles I own and have been using them for decades. I think if you over oil them then excess oil gets sucked into intake and can get coated on various sensors in intake throwing sensors off. There are also ppl who claim K&N are too porous and let some particles through. Then others say in high dust high dirt environments they can clog. Lot of K&N haters out there. I like them and will continue to use them. For those who hate them and don't want use them fine with me use what ever works for you.

Bigridge83

Big Bend
First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Bronco Sport,ā€™18 Ford Fiesta,ā€™92 Ford Explorer
K&N filters had a knack for dusting the turbo on the older diesels due to poor maintenance. I had one on a 7.3 that I had bought and it went in the garbage as soon as I could get a proper replacement. Iā€™m just leery of filters you have to oil to have them filter properly. Not to mention the filter oil has been known to contaminate MAF sensors causing inaccurate measurements. Iā€™m fairly certain that ecoboosts use MAP sensors instead of MAF sensors though.

fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport ,MB Sprinter 4x4
All those clams of over oiling are what , operator error , not reading instructions . If the Filter is dusting up anything its because of bypass unfiltered air getting getting by around the Filter . Any filter in a dusty environment not maintained will clog up .

I have used K&N on my Vintage Harleys & new ones , & every car & Truck I have owned with out issue , except my 93 F350 with a Turbo Charged 7.3 Diesel , ( no replaceable Filter)

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
did you notice any difference in sound? we were practicing going over light ruts and inclines last night, and i could def hear some turbo flutter when giving a little throttle. is it more audible now?
neat mod ??

OP
OP
casual_reader

casual_reader

Outer Banks
First Name
MJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I hear ya..btw it's a 1.5L it's all in the details. I do like your concept so shoot us a part # for that tube. Am I right in assuming the OEM hose is really made that way for ease of servicing ?
no worries. I was drinking the entire afternoon when I replied. 1.3 and 1.5 was looking the same to me. after loosing the clamp. the hose comes off without any effort. The corrugated portion feel really soft.

but here the part :

https://www.intakehoses.com/silicone-45-degree-reducing-elbow-3-to-2-34-id.html

i cut on the 2.75inch side, wanting the more internal volume from the other side....if that make sense.

OP
OP
casual_reader

casual_reader

Outer Banks
First Name
MJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
did you notice any difference in sound? we were practicing going over light ruts and inclines last night, and i could def hear some turbo flutter when giving a little throttle. is it more audible now?
neat mod ??
to be honest. in terms of noise. I can barley notice a difference. That being said, my stereo is usually blasting. So I'm practically deaf at this point.
Sponsored