Angeooo

Outer Banks
First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Hi. I have a general question about MPG of my Bronco Sport Outer Banks. Commute in NYC. Always traffic, streetlights,low speed. Still,is it ok to have only 16-17 MPG?
P.S. drove 250 miles round trip and had 32-33.
Sponsored

GulfCoastBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Topher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Got mine in January. Added lift after 4 days. Tires after 10. First 4 days avg was around 28.5. Dropped down to about 23.4 after lift, tires, and weekend road trip. All that in my first 1,000 miles. Just recently hit 6,000 miles and I’m now avg 26.7 mpg. Give it time to adjust and put some more miles on it. Drive in the same mode (normal, eco, sport). And drive the same. You’ll level out.

OP
OP
Angeooo

Angeooo

Outer Banks
First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Got mine in January. Added lift after 4 days. Tires after 10. First 4 days avg was around 28.5. Dropped down to about 23.4 after lift, tires, and weekend road trip. All that in my first 1,000 miles. Just recently hit 6,000 miles and I’m now avg 26.7 mpg. Give it time to adjust and put some more miles on it. Drive in the same mode (normal, eco, sport). And drive the same. You’ll level out.
Appreciate your reply. I guess, it's about break in period and as you said, engine, transmission and etc. have to adjust. For now, I have only 500 miles and will check back after 3-4K miles.

cgparsons1983

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
My badlands with the bigger engine than the outer banks started around the same, then settled to a high 23 mpg with about 25% highway driving and the rest city usually going no more than 35-40 mph, using the normal mode and only switching to eco mode when I have less than 100 miles left on the tank.

kanine

Badlands
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands, 2014 Mustang GT
I live in NYC, and yes, I always had lower city mpg than advertised in all the cars I've owned. There is just too much idling, stop and go, red lights every other block, plus there is too much accelerating and braking that it just eats the mpgs away. The BS is the first car I have with auto start/stop feature. I did one full tank with it off and one tank on doing mostly my daily routine, you do get about maybe 1 mpg more using the auto start/stop. Seasons also effects mpg also, I'm getting a little better city mpg with the warmer weather now.

On the highway driving out to LI, I did get up to 31mpg on my Badlands, NYC driving is worse than your typical city driving.

RiotfunK

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands
The little turbo motors in most vehicles these days get killed in city traffic. Not much you can do about it

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
My brother had a like new used 4 cylinder 5 Speed manual Ford Ranger.
Around town he got 21mpg and on the highway he got 24.
Then suddenly he was getting 16 mpg in town.
He took it to Ford and they found nothing wrong.
I had him tell me his daily routine.
LoL
I figured it out.
He was taking his 45 minute to 1 hour lunch break in his truck,
In the parking lot,
In the Florida heat,
Running his air conditioner,
Engine at Idle,
LoL
He stopped for a week and that was it.
Op your getting great mileage and don’t expect much improvement.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Dashboard info.
Id say try a hand calculation it will give you better idea where you really are. I'd say the computer is close, but if there are variables it could make it seem much worse or better depending on the moment reset the fuel mpg and hammer the gas and see how bad it is...reset and milk it on eco at 60mph flat...one will give you terrible numbers the other obviously unsustainable great numbers. I'd say your conditions are the enemy

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
Id say try a hand calculation it will give you better idea where you really are. I'd say the computer is close, but if there are variables it could make it seem much worse or better depending on the moment reset the fuel mpg and hammer the gas and see how bad it is...reset and milk it on eco at 60mph flat...one will give you terrible numbers the other obviously unsustainable great numbers. I'd say your conditions are the enemy
The computer may not be 100% accurate but it is consistent. Unless you are in some kind of contest for getting the best gas mileage, reading the computer output is fine. All that really matters, whether you are calculating by hand or using the computer, is a sudden change in gas mileage or maybe a gradual decline. If sudden, then something has gone wrong and needs to be fixed. If gradual, you probably just need to add some fuel system cleaner and it will come back.

baja_bob

Big Bend
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
check your tire pressure, being a few PSI low can affect gas mileage.

Flash

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
When I drive around town here, grocery shopping, restaurant, that sort of thing, I get about 25~26 mpg.

When it's all freeway, it's around 30 mpg.

I checked mileage on the computer vs. mileage I computed and they were close. Sometimes higher one way, sometimes lower, but it averaged out.

DirtyLuke

Badlands
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' BS BL, 18' Forester
Make sure you try with gas from a different station. I was on a road trip the other month and filled up at a station that must have had bad quality gas, because my mpg dropped by 5 or more mpg. As soon as I refilled, mpg returned to normal.

Desert Bronco.

Badlands
First Name
Mitchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Schwinn Beach Cruiser,
If I’m getting around 21mpg city in the badlands that’s ok. Anything near 25 I’m happier. On the freeway I like to see at least 28mpg. I usually reset the mpg calculator and drive on eco mode. Anything over 30mpg is doing good and over 35mpg I’m very happy. I noticed with cruise control set it’s easier to hit 35mpg now that the engine is breaking in at 1,900 miles. My 2004 Ford F-150 5.4 3 valve gets crap mileage 10mpg city and 13hwy. The Prius I sold was around 40city and 53highway. It fluctuates but the Toyota build was questionable using thin recycled Asahi and Sapporo beer 🍺 cans for body parts
Sponsored