Angeooo

Outer Banks
First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Hi. I have a general question about MPG of my Bronco Sport Outer Banks. Commute in NYC. Always traffic, streetlights,low speed. Still,is it ok to have only 16-17 MPG?
P.S. drove 250 miles round trip and had 32-33.
Update 1500 miles: 21 MPG average in the City/Highway 80/20.
Sponsored

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Appreciate your reply. I guess, it's about break in period and as you said, engine, transmission and etc. have to adjust. For now, I have only 500 miles and will check back after 3-4K miles.
It has to do with your driving. Not a personal slight, you pulled 30s open road. NYC is high pressure...it's hard on the gas harder on the brakes. It would crush your mpg driving hard and aggressively. This is a heavy brick. If you are soft on the pedal and keep a constant speed, mpg will be much better. Maybe other vehicles you've had do better...designed to do better. This is truly a compact ORV by design.

OP
OP
Angeooo

Angeooo

Outer Banks
First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Update: After 5k miles it's getting better 26-28 MPG. NYC Area.

V8 Yankee

Outer Banks
First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
Hi. I have a general question about MPG of my Bronco Sport Outer Banks. Commute in NYC. Always traffic, streetlights,low speed. Still,is it ok to have only 16-17 MPG?
Hello, as already mentioned you might still be in the break in period, if so you will see slightly better after 3k, even better after 6k. Another huge factor in city driving is idle time. When the wheels aren't turning it equals zero mpg. The Auto-Stop, although irritating at first is a proven fuel saver. It took several months for me to get used to it but after calculating the time I spend waiting at lights it really does save fuel. Now I am irritated when it doesn't activate. You mentioned slow driving so it sounds like you already try to conserve, that's also a big saver, coast into red lights and ease into green lights. Not much else you can do in NY traffic. Probably not many BSs in NY. Not too many here in Southern Florida, reason why I like my BS even more.

omahafordowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Flex
16-17 in New York City is probably about right. Constant idling in stop and go traffic is going to get your horrible gas mileage.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
NYC driving, your doing fine.

Antoyax

Base
First Name
Anton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
My brother had a like new used 4 cylinder 5 Speed manual Ford Ranger.
Around town he got 21mpg and on the highway he got 24.
Then suddenly he was getting 16 mpg in town.
He took it to Ford and they found nothing wrong.
I had him tell me his daily routine.
LoL
I figured it out.
He was taking his 45 minute to 1 hour lunch break in his truck,
In the parking lot,
In the Florida heat,
Running his air conditioner,
Engine at Idle,
LoL
He stopped for a week and that was it.
Op your getting great mileage and don’t expect much improvement.
Thank you for this comment saved me from worrying. I was kind of baffled because from 27-28mpg goes to 20mpg. What I did the whole week was do some little mods (dashcam installation and such) and car is idle with the engine on for longer times. Phew 😓
Sponsored