Liftgate supports/hatch gas struts failure

coopny

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BS BL
Hello all,

Have an in-warranty failure after less than a year of ownership that is a bit odd. The gas struts that support the liftgate while open have failed completely on my 23 BS BL. The hatch now actively falls as fast as gravity permits if not actively held up by hand. I took it to my dealer (where they reached the obvious conclusion that both struts had failed). The parts are on national backorder with no ETA at all.

Anybody encounter this failure? It's frustrating as it makes loading/unloading cargo in the back an extremely cumbersome process.

(If the Ford rep comes in here... if you can expedite the shipping of the part to my dealer, feel free to reach out. Otherwise I've already called customer relations a couple weeks back and they said all they could do is inquire with the dealer on my behalf. I already called my dealer this morning and they were apologetic but told me the parts are still on backorder.)
Sponsored

FB71

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'91 Festiva, '94 F-150, '04 Town Car
When a part is on national backorder, that usually means there's a large number of failures, and the supplier cannot keep up with demand. There won't be any expedition of parts, as they don't yet exist.

Chiefthepup

Big Bend
First Name
Colt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Did you have any warning signs before it went full failure? I ask cause I’ve noticed that on my bs, at just under 10k miles, they are already feeling super weak. Like I have to push it up the last 6 inches or so by hand. But didn’t know if that’s just how they are haha. Sorry your going through that!

OP
OP
coopny

coopny

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BS BL
Did you have any warning signs before it went full failure? I ask cause I’ve noticed that on my bs, at just under 10k miles, they are already feeling super weak. Like I have to push it up the last 6 inches or so by hand. But didn’t know if that’s just how they are haha. Sorry your going through that!
Same exact symptoms. They got weaker before they failed entirely. I'd definitely call the dealer and see if they consider that a precursor to failure to get the parts on order...

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
…The gas struts that support the liftgate while open have failed completely on my 23 BS BL.
Have not encountered the failure but were you provided paperwork showing the part number for the tailgate right and left side gas struts?
I’ve been told national back order, no parts available and Google search turns up the Ford parts, call to confirm and parts were available for delivery.

Last edited:

cprcubed

Big Bend
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cyber Orange BS BB, 1997 Ford F250 HD 7.3 PSD

davidg4781

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
Are you sure it's both sides? The reason I ask is on an old Pathfinder, if one went out, the other was not near strong enough to do anything.

Not that it matters really, and it would be best to replace both. I'm just curious.

Do you use it a lot? Mine still feels pretty strong but I rarely open it.

OP
OP
coopny

coopny

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BS BL
Have not encountered the failure but were you provided paperwork showing the part number for the tailgate right and left side gas struts?
I’ve been told national back order, no parts available and Google search turns up the Ford parts, call to confirm and parts were available for delivery.
I don't have the paperwork from my dealer, but I do have dealer.parts.ford.com tuned in to 2023 Bronco Sport and the liftgate parts are listed on backorder there too:
Ford Bronco Sport Liftgate supports/hatch gas struts failure 1709746528108

My guess is that OEMPartsonline Lakeland ford etc. are assuming the parts are available for order and then would follow up with a "we're sorry, it's backordered" email.

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
I would call around. Often it is surprising to see parts on a national back order but some dealership will have inventory.

Last edited:

FB71

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'91 Festiva, '94 F-150, '04 Town Car
I would call around. Often it is surprising to see parts on a national back order but some dealership will have inventory. (It would be nice if Ford dealerships would share parts availability information when they have parts that are shown as being on a national back order).
They do. Parts locator is part of the eCat system.
Sponsored