Folkman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bit.ly
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I had the issue and it drove me nuts…. I actually did something I normally never do and referred to the manual.

it appeared to show putting the lip of the fuel pipe between the first two coils of the nozzle and holding down.

haven’t had the issue since.
Sponsored

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Believe it or not it's the fault (?) of the Ford 'Easy Fuel' system. There are inner and outer filler neck doors on this capless system -- the nozzle must be inserted correctly -- often "just right" -- to open the inner door sufficiently. If not "just right," the inner door won't open, or open sufficiently, and then the fuel backs up into the filler neck and trips the auto shutoff on the pump. Fueling instructions are in the manual -- and also an instructive pictogram on the back of the fuel door!

I have also found some gas station nozzles are not compatible! At one Mobil station I use, 2 fuel islands, 4 pumps total, ***only the 4 outside pump nozzles are compatible!*** They clearly have a brightish metal, cone-shaped adapter installed where the nozzle meets the pump handle - I'm not sure if to make it sit higher on the filler neck, or what -- it doesn't seem possible that it limits how far the nozzle can be inserted. Curiously, the 4 inner pump nozzles do not have this adapter and won't work without experiencing the same problem everyone else is reporting here...

Monkey

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, F-350, a Tesla, and more...
I posted a more detailed response to this in another thread, but here's a quick rundown. The new filler necks on these Bronco Sports and some others out there are having some issues like this. It's a newer dual-flap design and the trick has to do with engaging the secondary flap properly. Most of the issues are really the gas pumps and if the insert guard on them lets you put them in too far or not far enough. Sometimes pushing it in further with a bit of force helps, especially if the insert guard is one with the spring around the nozzle. Sometimes pulling it back a bit, slowly, can help. You an always try a different pump/ station too. If the nozzle doesn't just fill the BS normally without shutting off, let them know there's a problem. Some will try to blame the car, but it's really the nozzle.

The new Tacoma and 4Runner are using the same filler necks... Lots of the same problem there. Which is good because as more people have problems, the more pump nozzles will get fixed. And it's usually a minor adjustment. I usually fill up at the grocery store near me and encountered this on one of their pumps. I told the attendant who said I was like the 5th person to have issues with it. They have since fixed it.

Another station by me is a problem, none of their pumps get along with the BS. Don't know if they've ever fixed it. I've only stopped in there like 3 times in almost 20 years.

LastBronco

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I’ve been to a few gas stations now and it seems I’m having a repeat issue where the pump keeps clicking and stopping flow repeatedly during fill ups. Is anyone else having this issue?
Yep. Another poor design feature of the BS.

kanine

Badlands
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands, 2014 Mustang GT
I would say its a poor design on the BS, I have a 2014 Mustang with the capless fuel and had never had any issues like this fueling it.

OP
OP
DeepSea

DeepSea

Outer Banks
First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Thanks for the responses, guys! I will definitely try it out since everyone seems to know except me. I should have known the issue was me not pulling out. Tis a common problem for me.
Sponsored