Phil_R

Badlands
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport Badlands Jeep Gladiator
I just watched this review on YouTube from "Ryan Douthit" from Driving Sports TV. It was done over a year ago and I feel like this reviewer had an agenda to find fault with the Bronco Sport that he reviewed. Like stopping on an icy hill and going extremely slow just to get it stuck. Then showing his Toyota going up the same icy hill with a lot more speed and saying his Toyota did a better job. Then in the comments below someone brings this up and Ryan, the reviewer, says that he did not want to damage the Bronco Sport by going too fast. Really, faster than 1 mph? If you have time, look at this video and tell us if you think he is unfair with his bias and complaints about it before he even tests it fully. I personally think he is very biased against the BS.
Thanks, and have a good day!

Sponsored

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Like stopping on an icy hill and going extremely slow just to get it stuck. Then showing his Toyota going up the same icy hill with a lot more speed and saying his Toyota did a better job.
I didn't get that at all. He was comparing the Bronco Sport's "trail control" to the Toyota's "crawl control." Neither system was able to get its respective vehicle up the hill. Highlighting the "better" aspects of the 4Runner over the Bronco Sport (as regards off-road prowess) is part and parcel of a comparison. The Toyota has a low-speed range (granny gear), a better fore/aft power transfer system, and better suspension articulation owing to its body-on-frame construction, which is why it was able to get up the hill as well as the Bronco Sport despite having all-season tires rather than the BS's all-terrain tires.

It's factually correct to say the price of a Badlands Bronco Sport is within spitting distance of similarly equipped 4Runner TRD Off-Road, but he omitted the fact you will get significantly better fuel economy, ride quality, and overall on-road handling and maneuverability with the Bronco Sport.

Life if full of tradeoffs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Phil_R

Phil_R

Badlands
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I didn't get that at all. He was comparing the Bronco Sport's "trail control" to the Toyota's "crawl control." Neither system was able to get its respective vehicle up the hill. Highlighting the "better" aspects of the 4Runner over the Bronco Sport (as regards off-road prowess) is part and parcel of a comparison. The Toyota has a low-speed range (granny gear), a better fore/aft power transfer system, and better suspension articulation owing to its body-on-frame construction, which is why it was able to get up the hill as well as the Bronco Sport despite having all-season tires rather than the BS's all-terrain tires.

It's factually correct to say the price of a Badlands Bronco Sport is within spitting distance of similarly equipped 4Runner TRD Off-Road, but he omitted the fact you will get significantly better fuel economy, ride quality, and overall on-road handling and maneuverability with the Bronco Sport.

Life if full of tradeoffs.
I appreciate your perspective. However, I don't think the 4 Runner in the same class as the Bronco Sport. Prices of a Bronco Sport start at $29,215 and go to $44,655 for the Heritage Limited. 4 Runner prices start at $39,949 and go to $57,805 as far as I can see on their websites. I have nothing against the 4 Runner and think it probably a great vehicle. I just think this is an apples to oranges comparison at best. Maybe a RAV4 might of been a better comparison against the Bronco Sport going up that icy hill :like:

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I don't think the 4 Runner in the same class as the Bronco Sport.
It's not, which is why the reviewer prefaced the impromptu comparison with this statement:
I am aware that the 4Runner is not a direct competitor to the Bronco Sport.
I don't think anyone watching the video believes the Bronco Sport is somehow inferior because it doesn't have the off-road chops of a 4Runner. My 2 cents.

Last edited:

seoden88

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Sport Badlands
I just watched this review on YouTube from "Ryan Douthit" from Driving Sports TV. It was done over a year ago and I feel like this reviewer had an agenda to find fault with the Bronco Sport that he reviewed. Like stopping on an icy hill and going extremely slow just to get it stuck. Then showing his Toyota going up the same icy hill with a lot more speed and saying his Toyota did a better job. Then in the comments below someone brings this up and Ryan, the reviewer, says that he did not want to damage the Bronco Sport by going too fast. Really, faster than 1 mph? If you have time, look at this video and tell us if you think he is unfair with his bias and complaints about it before he even tests it fully. I personally think he is very biased against the BS.

I don't believe so. He had a maverick and switched tires. All his videos are the same and he does same test minus weather, which he can't control.

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
I appreciate your perspective. However, I don't think the 4 Runner in the same class as the Bronco Sport. Prices of a Bronco Sport start at $29,215 and go to $44,655 for the Heritage Limited. 4 Runner prices start at $39,949 and go to $57,805 as far as I can see on their websites. I have nothing against the 4 Runner and think it probably a great vehicle. I just think this is an apples to oranges comparison at best. Maybe a RAV4 might of been a better comparison against the Bronco Sport going up that icy hill :like:
I do think the review is a fair review and in the video he stated several times the Bronco Sport and a 4 Runner are not direct comparisons. All vehicles have limitations so if someone’s only goal is going places a 4 Runner will go then getting a full size Bronco is a better choice over a bronco sport.

I also think he accurately compares the Bronco Sport with a Subaru Forester (not to a RAV4). I tend to agree with that because I owned a 2016 Subaru Forester 2.0XT Touring with a turbocharged engine having similar power and torque specs to the Bronco Sport Badlands as well as similar (but less) ground clearance. Before buying my ’22 Badlands, I looked at the 2022 RAV4, 2022 Forester and 2022 Subaru Wilderness. The usable RAV4 ground clearance is much less than the BS Badlands so I immediately discounted the RAV4 as a viable vehicle for my needs. And the added capabilities of the Badlands is superior to the ‘22 Forester and Wilderness. I would have purchased the full size Bronco but the wait time was just too long when I purchased my BS Badlands.

The video is good because it helps people understand the features of the Bronco Sport as well as its limitations and was useful to me by pointing out the features of the 4 Runner even though those vehicles are not in the same class.

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln and escape and first edition cactus gray

When I first seen that , that was exactly what I thought . Not a fair comparison.

Ford Bronco Sport Is this review fair??? 09F615B9-C38F-400D-93FF-3CC5F0BA5593

Ford Bronco Sport Is this review fair??? AAB7A54C-F83C-41AF-A0DF-EA8E44F6C9CB

OP
OP
Phil_R

Phil_R

Badlands
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When I first seen that , that was exactly what I thought . Not a fair comparison.

Ford Bronco Sport Is this review fair??? 09F615B9-C38F-400D-93FF-3CC5F0BA5593

Ford Bronco Sport Is this review fair??? AAB7A54C-F83C-41AF-A0DF-EA8E44F6C9CB
Exactly Jim. The actual performance of the BS FE was excellent for the poor driving that the reviewer did. I think that the reviewer had a negative outlook from the beginning about the BS FE he was testing. The first thing he said was that if the rear windshield wiper was moved and the rear glass hatch was closed, damage could happen. If he looked at the connection point, the pin is spring loaded and even if it was closed with someone moving the wiper on the rear glass, which is really unlikely, then it would not hurt anything and the pin would pop back in when turned on. Then he tries to go up the icy hill as slow as possible without putting the GOAT mode in slippery and says that the modes are probably really of no use. I could go on but you get the idea. Again, the BS FE did great, considering the driver was incompetent as far as I am concerned.
Thanks!
PS.... Your BS FE is beautiful for sure!!!

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Exactly Jim. The actual performance of the BS FE was excellent for the poor driving that the reviewer did. I think that the reviewer had a negative outlook from the beginning about the BS FE he was testing. The first thing he said was that if the rear windshield wiper was moved and the rear glass hatch was closed, damage could happen. If he looked at the connection point, the pin is spring loaded and even if it was closed with someone moving the wiper on the rear glass, which is really unlikely, then it would not hurt anything and the pin would pop back in when turned on. Then he tries to go up the icy hill as slow as possible without putting the GOAT mode in slippery and says that the modes are probably really of no use. I could go on but you get the idea. Again, the BS FE did great, considering the driver was incompetent as far as I am concerned.
Thanks!
It was clear from the start he likes Toyota’s so I adjusted my expectations in that light.

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks!
Bought mine in 2020 and also had a outerbanks on order and thoughts of a two door to order , FE Comes in first , just about two years now , would not trade it , well maybe for a bronco heritage limited two door in red . The badlands is a nice ride and A 51 , top color for sure . Enjoy. ( Is yours lifted and 245/65/17) ?..

Ford Bronco Sport Is this review fair??? 22A0D2F5-5168-4C19-8E42-D10040BD880A

OP
OP
Phil_R

Phil_R

Badlands
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bought mine in 2020 and also had a outerbanks on order and thoughts of a two door to order , FE Comes in first , just about two years now , would not trade it , well maybe for a bronco heritage limited two door in red . The badlands is a nice ride and A 51 , top color for sure . Enjoy. ( Is yours lifted and 245/65/17) ?..

Ford Bronco Sport Is this review fair??? 22A0D2F5-5168-4C19-8E42-D10040BD880A
No lift on ours.......yet. It is ours, meaning my wife's and my vehicle, however my wife uses it to go back and forth to work, about 2 miles each way. We took it out of town today and our gas mileage was very good. Driving on a secondary highway, about 45 to 55 MPH, the indicator at one point showed over 36 MPG. Back in town and normal driving, we still get over 30 MPG, but I drive like an old man, because I am one...LOL!!!
I have a Ranger Tremor and that will probably be our main off road / bad winter condition vehicle. I will probably leave the BS BL stock as with the stock Falken Wildpeaks it has on it, it should get around anywhere we go normally and I love getting great gas mileage!
Did you lift yours and get bigger tires, Jim?
Thanks!

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No lift on ours.......yet. It is ours, meaning my wife's and my vehicle, however my wife uses it to go back and forth to work, about 2 miles each way. We took it out of town today and our gas mileage was very good. Driving on a secondary highway, about 45 to 55 MPH, the indicator at one point showed over 36 MPG. Back in town and normal driving, we still get over 30 MPG, but I drive like an old man, because I am one...LOL!!!
I have a Ranger Tremor and that will probably be our main off road / bad winter condition vehicle. I will probably leave the BS BL stock as with the stock Falken Wildpeaks it has on it, it should get around anywhere we go normally and I love getting great gas mileage!
Did you lift yours and get bigger tires, Jim?
Thanks!
No lift on mine , I am thinking about going with a taller tire , I can get a 30 inch in that wheel well. Right now I have the same as you do 235/65/17 wildpeck . Just had my 72 dam birthda 🎂

Ford Bronco Sport Is this review fair??? 1F923A29-4F1A-43F4-992A-B6DC9F48C078

OP
OP
Phil_R

Phil_R

Badlands
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No lift on mine , I am thinking about going with a taller tire , I can get a 30 inch in that wheel well. Right now I have the same as you do 235/65/17 wildpeck . Just had my 72 dam birthda 🎂

Ford Bronco Sport Is this review fair??? 1F923A29-4F1A-43F4-992A-B6DC9F48C078
Well happy birthday Jim! I am 68 now so not too far behind you! The Bronco Sport reminds me of the Bronco II that we had many years ago. Great vehicle and good for pulling our boat and getting it in and out of the water when dealing with the slippery boat launches. I really like our BS BL and for me at 6'2", I fit in it just fine. It must be us older guys like you and I with a lot of experience and knowledge, that realize what a great vehicle the Bronco Sport is! I like the Falken Wildpeaks and had a set on a Jeep Gladiator Rubicon I had last year. Those tires gripped like mad in the snow! Very impressed!!!

Reactions: Jrl

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Meh...I bought a sport out of nostalgia for my '79, the durability of the Escape assembly, FORD, and what I need it to do. One test drive in a Big Bend I knew what I wanted. Chevy feels cheap as heck interior designed. Toyota feels cheap and foreign. Jeep rides incredibly stiff...none of them were Bronco Sports. None of them do anything more than I need. Price point, comfort, style, color, appearance, function, durability...I don't care what they say. 17,000 miles mine is kicking. ABS bailed me out of a slide accident on 94 WB last night. Sport did it's part. Wouldn't trade it for anything.
Sponsored