Is the 2.0L Direct Injection Only or is it Direct & Port Injection?

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
As the title reads, what is the Fuel Injection System used on the 2.0L?
Sponsored

dreamwrx

Badlands
First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 WRX
I believe that the 2.0L Ecoboost is Direct injection only.. However there seems to be a few aftermarket systems that can add Port Injection though I am not familiar with it.

Edit: From quick research it looks like the smallest ecoboost with dual injection is the 2.7L

Last edited:
OP
OP
The Pope

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
@dreamwrx , that's what I thought.......

I'm really wanting a DI/PI Fuel System. I'm fully aware of the Pro's/Con's of both & the Work Arounds of the DI Only Systems. This alone will most likely make me finally decide that the Bronco Sport isn't for me and that the Bronco would be a better choice (just need for the 2.7L to get a MT mated to it.....). Oh, yes, the absence of a MT option for the Bronco Sport was another issue that I'm having with it. (no need for anyone to go off on the "Take Rate" rant, as I'm Fully Aware of how much of a Rabbit Hole that is....)

Again, thanks!

dreamwrx

Badlands
First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 WRX
Same.. I would have liked to see that DI/PI hybrid in every model motor.. alas.. its only a dream, $$$ above all.

Honestly I would have liked to be buying the 4 Door bronco as well, but its ride quality, interior noise, slightly higher price, and slightly smaller interior room pushed me towards the Sport. I won't be hardcore off-roading. I'm more of a weekend warrior (if that), so creature comfort on my daily commute is more important.

I certainly wished that the 2.7L would have been available as an option for the Bronco Sport.

Personally though as much fun as a MT would be.. I've been driving one for 12 years.. the fun is sucked out when you are stuck in traffic for an hour going to work and an hour going home 5 days a week.

I'll be happy with a good and reliable Auto...

However with that said... it looks like there are good ways to clean the intake valves with relatively ease, though a bit more periodic maintenance. So I just need to do my due diligence.

North7

Badlands
First Name
North7
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Honestly I would have liked to be buying the 4 Door bronco as well, but its ride quality, interior noise
Since none of us have driven the Bronco yet, what are you basing your perceptions on, that the Bronco does not have as good a ride quality and more interior noise than the Bronco Sport?

Because the Bronco is Body on Frame (BOF) vs the Bronco Sport Unibody?

Because of the off-road suspension?

Because of the Removable Roof?

Or What?

dreamwrx

Badlands
First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 WRX
Since none of us have driven the Bronco yet, what are you basing your perceptions on, that the Bronco does not have as good a ride quality and more interior noise than the Bronco Sport?

Because the Bronco is Body on Frame (BOF) vs the Bronco Sport Unibody?

Because of the off-road suspension?

Because of the Removable Roof?

Or What?
All of the above. Its personal conjecture of course, and not a stated fact.
I interpolated that there will be more interior noise because the Bronco is definitely body on frame, + off-Road specific suspension, and Removable panels like you said.
It was also designed to be sprayed down with a whole lot of drainage panels, and not regular carpet = open to road noise injection.

Also there are a few ride along reports that state while the Bigger Bronco has a much nicer ride quality than the competition, the Bronco Sport has been noted to be a smoother, quieter, and more on road SUV like qualities which is more expected.

Edit: To be clear, I currently drive a Subaru WRX.. which is a rattle can at times so maybe even the Bronco will be acceptable. And yes I have driven new trucks and they are very comfy and quiet, but I have also driven jeeps and other removable roof top vehicles and they have always let in quite a bit more road noise.

Can it be modified to be quiet? Sure, but at a significant financial, time, and versatility cost. At that point, it's no longer worth it to me.

For my personal needs, the Bronco has (barely so) smaller passenger space, while being quite a bit more expensive.

Last edited:

Heyzeus

Big Bend
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Actually the 1.5 is both port and direct injected. My 2.3 in my mustang is as well. The 2.0 is not but it is a solid engine. Talking to one of my local dealers the 2.7 is one of the motors in service a lot. I have heard it is a problem.

VapourTrails

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW
Actually the 1.5 is both port and direct injected. My 2.3 in my mustang is as well. The 2.0 is not but it is a solid engine. Talking to one of my local dealers the 2.7 is one of the motors in service a lot. I have heard it is a problem.
Is the 2.0 prone to carbon build up with high octane fuel.

Bobaloo

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford
This is the very first I have ever heard: the 1.5 Ecoboost 3 cyl engine from Ford is both direct injection -and- port injection? I would sure like to hear from others on this, as I am in the market for a small SUV and from what I can see and read all over the place, only the RAV4 has a normally aspirated 4 that has both direct and port injection. Can anyone with a Ford mechanical background clear the air on this post?

schizorage

Base
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base
This is the very first I have ever heard: the 1.5 Ecoboost 3 cyl engine from Ford is both direct injection -and- port injection? I would sure like to hear from others on this, as I am in the market for a small SUV and from what I can see and read all over the place, only the RAV4 has a normally aspirated 4 that has both direct and port injection. Can anyone with a Ford mechanical background clear the air on this post?
Both. The 1.5 in the BS, though, is not naturally aspirated.

Source:

https://fordauthority.com/fmc/ford-motor-company-engines/ford-ecoboost-family/ford-1-5-liter-ecoboost-dragon-engine/

Bobaloo

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford

schizorage

Base
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base
Brian, thanks for the thorough response. Is it correct to assume the port injection part of it will keep the valves from having the carbon buildup associated with direct fuel injection?
I'd imagine that's the goal, but time will tell. I certainly wouldn't let that keep me from maintaining the engine any differently than a strictly direct injection engine, but it should at least stave off the sorts of valve fouling issues that direct-only is know for.

Through all of my research to this end (I've got a base with the 1.5, after all,) the biggest bummer has been realizing that my wife's honda is overdue for a valve cleaning.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Almost word for word, a Ford mech here told me that.....

Last edited:

Bobaloo

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford
I'd imagine that's the goal, but time will tell. I certainly wouldn't let that keep me from maintaining the engine any differently than a strictly direct injection engine, but it should at least stave off the sorts of valve fouling issues that direct-only is know for.

Through all of my research to this end (I've got a base with the 1.5, after all,) the biggest bummer has been realizing that my wife's honda is overdue for a valve cleaning.
Say Brian, currently I have a 2014 CRV with the regular 2.4 engine and it has been a wonderful engine, still has full pep since I got it. You happen to know if that engine is simply port injected? I know now all CRV's have gone to the 1.5 turbo that has had bad issues with oil dilution.

schizorage

Base
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base
Say Brian, currently I have a 2014 CRV with the regular 2.4 engine and it has been a wonderful engine, still has full pep since I got it. You happen to know if that engine is simply port injected? I know now all CRV's have gone to the 1.5 turbo that has had bad issues with oil dilution.
Not to derail, but from what I can tell the '14s still used the MPFI tech, so no worries.
Sponsored

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MAD Industries Bronco Sport General Topics 22