Is it big enough?

ElBronc

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Do you just want the biggest ride on the street? There's a lot of bloat in those other vehicles. Also your camera angle is a bit deceptive, the others are viewed at an angle, makes them feel bigger.
My wife has an Infiniti QX60, the size difference to the Bronco Sport is not that exaggerated. Something off with the camera angle for sure.
Sponsored

2001 escape

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Escape XLT
Sounds like U should wait for the Big Bronco....
:crying:I would like to hear your comparisons between the 1st Gen Escape and the sport....have you posted any side-by-side pictures?

Last edited:

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
:crying:I would like to hear your comparisons between the 1st Gen Escape and the sport....have you posted any side-by-side pictures?
In my driveway side by side, only a very few inches in length, width and height, visually, I did not measure.
In side the BS has far more room. I don't bump into things getting in and out.
I don't know how ford did it but me moving from my 2004 Escape to the Baby Bronco is surreal.
My first review and I think my first post shows them side by side.
I keep saying this, I think ALL the dimensional comparisons with all the other common sport utes are way wrong, visually it's looks and feels larger inside than it looks from the outside. I test drove 3 of the 5 other top brand utes, the 2 I did not drive were crap IMO.
The 3 I will not name but to me they were all very dated and none gave me the roomy cabin of the BS.

Last edited:

dinglehead

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ford Ranger FX4
I LOVE the Bronco Sport. I was extremely hot to pick up a badlands.

However, after packing for the most recent family road trip, I realized it, in fact, is NOT big enough (this coming from a Honda Pilot). So I ended up grabbing a Ranger instead and have been thrilled with it.

OP
OP

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport

However, after packing for the most recent family road trip, I realized it, in fact, is NOT big enough (this coming from a Honda Pilot). So I ended up grabbing a Ranger instead and have been thrilled with it.
I agree the Sport is not for the big trip with a family of 4 -- unless you are willing to pack the roof, or a trailer, or for that big excursion, both. That's what I want to try with it. Ranger is a great choice if you don't mind your stuff being "outside," and I'd say a few other tradeoffs and costs -- I like it but am not enamored with Ford's new pickup designs lately, and just didn't want another one anyway. Nor anything bigger, truck or SUV. Something Passport-sized, maybe -- just not that.

Huntyeraws

Big Bend
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford BS BB

Interesting, when I test drove a BS BB, I was pleased at the amount of room inside - especially headroom for my 6' 2" big frame. I then test drove a Ranger XLT Super Crew and it looked so much bigger on the outside and yet my head almost hit the inside of the roof just sitting there and I felt kind of cramped. I was shocked. It drove very nice though. But I am glad that you found a vehicle that suits YOUR needs and YOU are happy with it...that is what it is all about! Good luck with it!

When I get my BS, I can always throw an enclosed cargo box on top as well as put the hitch haul on the back if I need more cargo space. I have done that with my current Jeep Liberty Sport when I have gone on family trips to dog hunt test weekends in the past.

Last edited:

dinglehead

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ford Ranger FX4
I agree the Sport is not for the big trip with a family of 4 -- unless you are willing to pack the roof, or a trailer, or for that big excursion, both. That's what I want to try with it. Ranger is a great choice if you don't mind your stuff being "outside," and I'd say a few other tradeoffs and costs -- I like it but am not enamored with Ford's new pickup designs lately, and just didn't want another one anyway. Nor anything bigger, truck or SUV. Something Passport-sized, maybe -- just not that.
Yea I put a cover on the bed to partially solve the "outside" cargo issue. But thus far, its been awesome. So far I'm loving the ability basically take as much as we want with us on a road trip - and Ive flexed the off-road chops quite a bit and they are IMPRESSIVE.

Ford Bronco Sport Is it big enough? IMG_0442

OP
OP

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Yea I put a cover on the bed to partially solve the "outside" cargo issue. But thus far, its been awesome. So far I'm loving the ability basically take as much as we want with us on a road trip - and Ive flexed the off-road chops quite a bit and they are IMPRESSIVE.

Ford Bronco Sport Is it big enough? IMG_0442
I need the climate control for my stuff, way too sensitive to hot/cold damage. Lived with my F-150 with bed liner, load divider, tonneau for years -- plus sand bags in the winter. Was all a compromise for me, these days I don't need the home/lumber store hauling anymore, but am looking at a utility trailer for that, or camping/other trips for the occasional hauling that I don't have to drive/haul around behind me daily. Nice truck though! I would re-do the interior design and amenties for my taste in a re-design. The outside is much more conservative than the new F-150 design.

omahafordowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Flex
Interesting, when I test drove a BS BB, I was pleased at the amount of room inside - especially headroom for my 6' 2" big frame. I then test drove a Ranger STX Super Crew and it looked so much bigger on the outside and yet my head almost hit the inside of the roof just sitting there and I felt kind of cramped. I was shocked. It drove very nice though. But I am glad that you found a vehicle that suits YOUR needs and YOU are happy with it...that is what it is all about! Good luck with it!

When I get my BS, I can always throw an enclosed cargo box on top as well as put the hitch haul on the back if I need more cargo space. I have done that with my current Jeep Liberty Sport when I have gone on family trips to dog hunt test weekends in the past.
Difference in size between BS and Ranger not enough to not have the extra inside space for our dog. The BS actually has more leg room in the back. Have to learn to take advantage of all of the options (roof rack and trailer hitch) for those times when packing a lot of cargo.

McBrideless

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Lesabre
I donā€™t know why people want it bigger to have another bloated SUV. I ordered mine because it was small. There are so many other options if you want something fat and unwieldy. The only off road capable vehicles in the size range of the BS are the Jeep Compass or Cherokee.

dinglehead

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ford Ranger FX4
Difference in size between BS and Ranger not enough to not have the extra inside space for our dog. The BS actually has more leg room in the back. Have to learn to take advantage of all of the options (roof rack and trailer hitch) for those times when packing a lot of cargo.
Yea I probably could have made it work with roof racks and hitch racks and whatnot. But ultimately, the improved off road performance and open bed sold me. I havenā€™t had a truck in 15 years - and now Iā€™m remembering how handy that cargo space can be.

I need to figure out a way to have a midsize truck AND a bronco. Maybe need to work another job or something.

2001 escape

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Escape XLT
In my driveway side by side, only a very few inches in length, width and height, visually, I did not measure.
.....[edit for brevity]
I don't know how ford did it but me moving from my 2004 Escape to the Baby Bronco is surreal.
This is the only picture I found of yours.....you could have the best direct comparison between the old and the new.

What you miss out in the Bronco....and all newer cars, is the used space from the GOAT and gear selector. The old Escapes could fit a gallon jug between the front seats on the floor, ....so much more storage.

And again, most new vehicles have lost this space from moving the column shifter. So it isnā€™t knocking the BS.....just ā€œprogress.ā€

Ford Bronco Sport Is it big enough? 4518049D-C578-49D8-BEC1-DBBF9138DE33

Last edited:

Dustymedic

Outer Banks
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rapid Red Bronco Sport OB
Lol I deleted the post as you quoted it I guess....

try this....is the Sport big enough? No.

The approach and departure angles are worse for the lower trims on the Sport than the Forester.....I am simply saying they could have easily made it bigger than the 1st Gen Escape and still kept the overhangs to a minimum.

Some of my first posts (when the Sport wasnā€˜t released yet) mentioned the size. I think had they made it a touch bigger it would have been better.

Ford Bronco Sport Is it big enough? FE031F3B-F336-4768-B2E1-AD9AF81E54D7
That's why I'm trading in my '18 Escape in. It's a nice car, just not as big in every possible way as my '11 Escape was...

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
I wish Osco or anyone else with a 1st or 2nd gen Escape and Sport would shoot a photo of the rear of both parked side-by-side with the liftgate glass up.

As a longtime Escape owner, and frequent user of the liftgate glass, I am certain the opening is significantly smaller on the Sport. While dimensions would give the specifics, a side-by-side comparison would provide an excellent comparative visual.
Sponsored