OP
OP

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
No IMO, the forester is a little bigger.

I wanted the Sport to be a larger 1st Gen Escape.

Total Passenger Volume (cubic feet)

Cargo Space/Area Length Behind First Row (inches)
Cargo Space/Area Length Behind Second Row (inches)
The 2020 Forester comes with a 22.9-degree approach angle, a 24.6-degree departure angle and a 19.6-degree breakover angle.

Length: 182.1 inches
Width: 81.3 inches
Height: 68.1 inches
Wheelbase: 105.1 inches
Ground Clearance: 8.7 inches
Approach Angle: 22.9 degrees
Breakover Angle: 19.6 degrees
Departure Angle: 24.6 degrees
Water Fording: N/A
Maximum Towing: 1,500 pounds

Sport: better approach angles

Length: 172.7 inches
Width: 82.2 inches
Height: 71.4 inches (Badlands)
Wheelbase: 105.1 inches
Ground Clearance: 8.8 inches (Badlands)
Approach Angle: 30.4 degrees (Badlands)
Breakover Angle: 20.4 degrees (Badlands)
Departure Angle: 33.1 degrees (Badlands)
Water Fording: 23.6 inches (Badlands)
Maximum Towing: 2,200 pounds (Badlands)
Maximum Payload: 1,000 pounds

http://www.trucktrend.com/features/2021-ford-bronco-sport-versus-the-competition/
Not sure exactly what you're trying to show here...the BL is wider, taller, better ground clearance, better approach, breakover, and departure angles, better water fording for sure, better towing and payload, better final drive and crawl ratios, more HP and torque, and a real (not CVT) 8A transmission. Yes, the Forester cargo capacities are a bit bigger (not insignificant, but not huge differences either, especially with all of the seatbacks in place), but the total passenger volume is barely more than a couple of cu. ft. larger, who knows where and how usable. Maybe some of the specific interior dimensions provide more comfort in some aspects, I don't know -- but then you're still driving a Subaru instead of the Bronco Sport -- refer to the first sentence in this paragraph. But anyway -- is it "big enough?" I'd guess ride around in both of them for a while and see, YMMV. I'm pretty sure nobody is going to argue there aren't other vehicles with bigger interior volumes. So maybe the BS isn't for everyone.

2001 escape

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Escape XLT
Not sure exactly what you're trying to show here...the BL is wider, taller, better ground clearance, better approach, breakover, and departure angles, better water fording for sure, better towing and payload, better final drive and crawl ratios, more HP and torque, and a real (not CVT) 8A transmission. Yes, the Forester cargo capacities are a bit bigger (not insignificant, but not huge differences either, especially with all of the seatbacks in place), but the total passenger volume is barely more than a couple of cu. ft. larger, who knows where and how usable. Maybe some of the specific interior dimensions provide more comfort in some aspects, I don't know -- but then you're still driving a Subaru instead of the Bronco Sport -- refer to the first sentence in this paragraph. But anyway -- is it "big enough?" I'd guess ride around in both of them for a while and see, YMMV. I'm pretty sure nobody is going to argue there aren't other vehicles with bigger interior volumes. So maybe the BS isn't for everyone.
Lol I deleted the post as you quoted it I guess....

try this....is the Sport big enough? No.

The approach and departure angles are worse for the lower trims on the Sport than the Forester.....I am simply saying they could have easily made it bigger than the 1st Gen Escape and still kept the overhangs to a minimum.

Some of my first posts (when the Sport wasn‘t released yet) mentioned the size. I think had they made it a touch bigger it would have been better.

Ford Bronco Sport Is it big enough? FE031F3B-F336-4768-B2E1-AD9AF81E54D7

Last edited:

2001 escape

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Escape XLT
Look what I saw tonight..... I still wish it was a little larger.

Ford Bronco Sport Is it big enough? 2FF3078A-42E0-4642-A071-007AEC6A00C7

Ford Bronco Sport Is it big enough? D91E81EE-F8F1-4906-8294-2541CD174F7D

Ford Bronco Sport Is it big enough? B7BEE0AE-0B7F-45B3-A415-143F9F98E0A4

Ford Bronco Sport Is it big enough? E14047F4-A774-41A7-968A-32DAFF7137E3

Huntyeraws

Big Bend
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford BS BB
If you are a Doctor Who fan...all I can say is that it is like The Tardis...small on the outside and bigger than you think on the inside.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
OP
OP

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Sounds like U should wait for the Big Bronco....
I wish it were a little larger as well...but not as large as a Bronco, Explorer, etc. etc. Just a couple of inches longer and wider for the interior room in the back seat and cargo area. As it is, it really couldn't be any smaller and be as satisfying for me. It does feel 'cozy' up front, but all of the room you NEED is there. Actually if they could make the cargo area accommodate a rear seat that could optionally slide back (and forward) some inches that would solve it for me -- I get all the cargo room I ACTUALLY need folding the rears seats down, and would get it all back without rear passengers anytime I need to max it out. I'd get it if the C platform just can't be expanded -- but the Escape, Lincoln MKC, Transit Connect (van) are bigger, so it must be possible. I do also understand they were going for the approach/breakover/departure angles and appreciate that. If the BS brand takes off and is long-lived, they'll stretch it or build it on a bigger platform -- they always do. No vehicle is the perfect set of compromises for all buyers, I think the BS is already a hit with a bright future, and will evolve.

Last edited:

2001 escape

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Escape XLT
If you are a Doctor Who fan...all I can say is that it is like The Tardis...small on the outside and bigger than you think on the inside.
I simply think Ford had to un-screwup the injection of soy they did to the Escapes.... the first Escapes were the “bronco sport“ before there was a bronco sport.
The Sport is a little bigger than the original Escape, it just seems they modernized the design they should have stayed with.

2021 Ford Bronco Sport Seating Dimensions (1st Gen Escape)

DimensionsFront SeatsRear Seats
Legroom42.4 in (41.6)36.9 in (36.4)
Head room (w/o moonroof)41.5 in (40”)41.7 (39”)
Cargo32.5 cu. ft. (34.8)65.2 cu. ft. (63.3)
Hip room55.2 in (53)53.4 in (49)
Shoulder room57.3 in (56)55.6 in. (56)

“Models equipped with the optional 2.0-liter engine lose some cubes in the process, dropping to 29.4 cubic feet of cargo space behind the rear seats, and 60.1 cubic feet with the seatback folded.”

https://www.akinsford.com/blog/2021-bronco-sport-interior-space-legroom-and-head-room/

I don’t understand how getting the 2.0 engine, you lose cargo space in the back.....if someone knows.

I have been watching both the Broncos....never been a fan of the Explorer. IF the big bronco (which isn't much bigger *inside* actually) had a “mall crawler” version....I‘d get that, but it is too hardcore for anything I would use it for. (I will never take the doors or roof off, for example.)

Last edited:

2001 escape

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Escape XLT
I If the BS brand takes off and is long-lived, they stretch it or build it on a bigger platform -- they always do. No vehicle is the perfect set of compromises for all buyers, I think the BS is already a hit with a bright future, and will evolve.
Very true....I chose the original Escape because the RAV4, CRV, were tiny at the time.....now they are much bigger.

Pictures 1 and 4 above show an earlier Honda Pilot which looks bigger, and higher....and this is years before they grew to the mini-van like size they are now.

Can someone determine the trim level of the BS above?

Huntyeraws

Big Bend
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford BS BB
[QUOTE="2001

Can someone determine the trim level of the BS above?
[/QUOTE]

It is a Big Bend model in the pic with the 18" rims

OP
OP

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
My impressions were different, first time I tested an Area 51 BL+BL, versus 2nd time I tested an O. White BL+BL. Rainy/overcast both days, it just seemed larger to me the 2nd time. Probably exterior color, and being alone in the white one the 2nd time. More opportunity to play with the seat adjustments, and overall longer opportunity to look things over.

Just another thought -- the lower cargo floor without the "full-size" spare may not provide any more useful cargo volume -- 32-something cu. ft. vs. 29-something cu. ft. with it. The cargo floor area stays virtually the same, so where do you gain those 3 or so cu. ft.? Below the top edge of the rear seatback -- a difference of 3"+ or so there. If you never load anything >= the height of the seat backs -- or alternately, all the way up to the headliner -- then what's the usable difference? Loading 1 or 2 upright mountain bikes, maybe -- but it's the seatback that matters there, not the cargo floor so much unless you have a tall bike with a high handlebar set, long forks (?), or...? Still, I'm thinking of converting mine to a mini-spare and the lower cargo floor -- if after living with it a bit, I find I can actually get back and use those inches/cu. ft.

pixlpush

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tern GSD Ebike (car free at the moment)
I'm actually glad it's not bigger. Plenty of larger options out there but most of the smaller offerings are usually really cheaply put together with little real off road chops, i.e. the Ecosport. For maneuvering in tight spaces in the city and on the trail I much prefer the more diminutive size.

Slickrock

Badlands
First Name
Slick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
I'm actually glad it's not bigger. Plenty of larger options out there but most of the smaller offerings are usually really cheaply put together with little real off road chops, i.e. the Ecosport. For maneuvering in tight spaces in the city and on the trail I much prefer the more diminutive size.
Yeah, the real thing is usable space. 2 cf of amorphous space someplace in the cabin is not nearly as important as:

Does the center console hit my leg when I'm in cruise mode? It does in any of the Jeeps, and some others.

Do I feel like I'm leaning against the door, or does my fat ass feel too big for the seats? Need to test that out. Haven't been really impressed with anything else yet.

Still need to find a Sport on a dealer lot that I can sit in and see how it feels. If it does feel too small, then I'll look at the Passport again.

Slickrock

Badlands
First Name
Slick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline

Ford Bronco Sport Is it big enough? 2FF3078A-42E0-4642-A071-007AEC6A00C7

Ford Bronco Sport Is it big enough? D91E81EE-F8F1-4906-8294-2541CD174F7D

Ford Bronco Sport Is it big enough? B7BEE0AE-0B7F-45B3-A415-143F9F98E0A4

Ford Bronco Sport Is it big enough? E14047F4-A774-41A7-968A-32DAFF7137E3
Do you just want the biggest ride on the street? There's a lot of bloat in those other vehicles. Also your camera angle is a bit deceptive, the others are viewed at an angle, makes them feel bigger.
Sponsored