Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln and escape and first edition cactus gray
Thanks everybody for the tips & tricks. I must try & experiment with this a bit more. What happens with 2 fobs on the go & leaving 1 in the car. How does it work to use the keypad to lock the keys in the car. The keypad is one of those things I can’t figure out why everybody else hasn’t copied yet. Everybody who’s had a Ford with one it seems loves it. I used it all the time on my F150. Of course it should be obvious, but don’t lock the fob in the car in a visible place.
Been using keypad since 1986 in about 8or so fords and Lincoln , actually I have kept the same number on all . If I am not mistaken ford company has a patent on it .

Ford Bronco Sport Intentionally locking the keys in the car 2CCA0572-45B6-4734-9B07-B85F4AF837C5
Sponsored

Kachadurian

Outer Banks
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Fiat 500
When I bought my Badlands, the salesman was telling me I could lock my keys in the car if I was going to the gym, for example, and didn't want to take my purse and keys with me. He said I could use the code on the side to open it. This doesn't seem like the best idea to me. A thief could easily break a window and take off with my baby. Or would entering the vehicle without unlocking it disable it from starting?

I'm curious to know if anyone is actually doing this or what other use cases do you have for using the code to unlock? This would be a cool feature if I could feel confident that the risk is minimal.
I put my key in a little Faraday envelope in the center console. Then I lock it with the power lock and shut the door. Unlock with keypad.

baja_bob

Big Bend
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
I've never used the keypad yet, always meant to change pin though. If you use the keypad enough doesn't it start to wear or leave finger prints telling what numbers are being used?

I've tried to use the app to unlock the doors without fob being nearby and it would never work, just show spinning circle.

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
If you use the keypad enough doesn't it start to wear or leave finger prints telling what numbers are being used?
I suppose that's possible if your code was 0-0-0-0-0. You can create a custom code if you're that concerned. 7-8 and 9-0 together lock the car. 1-2 will also get used if you habitually unlock all the doors. Like before, a code of 0-0-0-0-0-2 unlocks everything instead of just driver door. So use the other buttons 3-4, 5-6, 7-8 to make the PIN.

This feels like a crazy amount of overconcern though. Smash and grabbers aren't going to check for prints at 2am or fiddle with the buttons. They're going to case the seats and cargo for "valuables" i.e. stuff. Can't always count on it though. Had my Mustang tossed once upon a time. They got in and used the convenient Ford trunk release lever on the rocker panel to open the trunk too. They stole a leather jacket out of the trunk, $2 in change from in the console armrest, and a pen from the glove box. Cops recovered the pen...

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
If I am not mistaken ford company has a patent on it.
I am sure that Ford did have a patent on this system but that patent would long be expired. I don't think the system has changed enough for them to get a new patent but I could be mistaken. Currently a utility patent is good for 20 years but when this system was introduced I think patents were good for 17 years.

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Been using keypad since 1986 in about 8or so fords and Lincoln , actually I have kept the same number on all . If I am not mistaken ford company has a patent on it .

Ford Bronco Sport Intentionally locking the keys in the car 2CCA0572-45B6-4734-9B07-B85F4AF837C5
I’ve heard the patent thing too, & that seems to make sense. I can’t find it explicitly though. Did find a couple good articles on the keypads though.
https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/mark-phelan/2019/10/19/ford-securicode-keypad-remote-keyless-system-door/4013589002/
https://jalopnik.com/this-is-the-deal-with-those-little-door-keypads-that-on-1845464887

Reactions: Jrl

cgparsons1983

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Don't know about other cities and neighborhoods, but I'm at a point that I worry more about the catalytic than a busted window.
You aren't kidding. That's become a big problem in my area and we used to see almost no break ins or car theft a decade ago. One of the best parts of the Bronco Sport though, the skid plates make it almost impossible for them to access the catalytic converter in a reasonable amount of time.

Carolo

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands
My system is quite simple; Put BSBL in garage, Lock BSBL (fob in pocket), Lock garage, Make sure all 6 security cameras are on and recording!.........Enjoy my evening

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
You aren't kidding. That's become a big problem in my area and we used to see almost no break ins or car theft a decade ago. One of the best parts of the Bronco Sport though, the skid plates make it almost impossible for them to access the catalytic converter in a reasonable amount of time.
The main cat, yes. The secondary cat is hanging right there with a ton of space to work a Sawzall or grinder. I'm actually mildly pondering picking up the "missing" fiber panel that some of the trims get just to make the underside look like it's all sealed up. Maybe they'll peek and think "it's electric"? We have steel pans under the rear seats, if only they had one across the cat area.

Edit- Context:
https://www.broncosportforum.com/forum/threads/undercarriage-panel-missing-on-right-side-of-badlands.3320/

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Crazy part is, the metal is very valuable at scrap yards. They COULD limit the number of cats scrapped and take your DL information much like they've done for sudafed to cut down the opportunity to cash in. Even more disturbing...the ceramic filter inside trapping all the 'toxins' is a popular 'drug' used in South America/Africa. They crush it up and smoke it. What people won't do to get 'high'...unreal

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
Crazy part is, the metal is very valuable at scrap yards. They COULD limit the number of cats scrapped and take your DL information much like they've done for sudafed to cut down the opportunity to cash in. Even more disturbing...the ceramic filter inside trapping all the 'toxins' is a popular 'drug' used in South America/Africa. They crush it up and smoke it. What people won't do to get 'high'...unreal
I'd like the politicians to solve the problem but I'm not sure how much can be done with tracking IDs and stuff. We could put up a bunch of red tape and make scrappers fill out forms with the original VIN and owner, who supplied the scrap, etc... then what? Unless we get a bunch of people with constant eyes on the system, people will find ways around it. Or some junkyard looking to make a few will buy them off the tweakers for a cut, and then fill out false paperwork and crush the only evidence trail and sell to the scrappers. We have to get rid of the gronks and tweakers or make the cats non-profitable to steal.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I'd like the politicians to solve the problem but I'm not sure how much can be done with tracking IDs and stuff. We could put up a bunch of red tape and make scrappers fill out forms with the original VIN and owner, who supplied the scrap, etc... then what?
Those laws already exist in many jurisdictions. And many communities are taking further measures to deter catalytic converter theft, but as always, the most effective means require owner action.

The thieves look for easy targets; thefts require two minutes or less. A Bronco Sport will already be high interest because their higher ground clearance means a motivated thief won't need a jack. Anything you can do to add to the time required to steal your catalytic converter or the difficulty in selling it will reduce the likelihood of becoming a victim.

rootdoc

Big Bend
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I've never used the keypad yet, always meant to change pin though. If you use the keypad enough doesn't it start to wear or leave finger prints telling what numbers are being used?

I've tried to use the app to unlock the doors without fob being nearby and it would never work, just show spinning circle.
yep, painted numbers on keypad wear out over time. Maybe that's why the new security pad system is embedded in the glass.

Jill

Badlands
First Name
Gillian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Kodiak Brown Bronco Sport Badlands
When I bought my Badlands, the salesman was telling me I could lock my keys in the car if I was going to the gym, for example, and didn't want to take my purse and keys with me. He said I could use the code on the side to open it. This doesn't seem like the best idea to me. A thief could easily break a window and take off with my baby. Or would entering the vehicle without unlocking it disable it from starting?

I'm curious to know if anyone is actually doing this or what other use cases do you have for using the code to unlock? This would be a cool feature if I could feel confident that the risk is minimal.
I’ve been doing this in Ford products for at least 20 years.

Jill

Badlands
First Name
Gillian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Kodiak Brown Bronco Sport Badlands
Don’t tell anyone but I’ve been leaving the keys in all the fords with keyless entry for 20+ years. Suppose I’ll have an issue if stolen with my insurance but the convenience is nice. If I were a car thief, keyless entry fords would be my choice. 50/50 shot the keys are in there somewhere.
Me too!
Sponsored

Reactions: Jrl