Dadio

Big Bend
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
Today I installed the Ford (Thinkware) accessory dash cam VHL3Z-19G490-C on our 2023 Big Bend. The actual install was easy but I ran into a few small challenges. This model gets its power off the OBD port and Includes a module to maintain uninterrupted recording during auto stop/start cycles.

Iā€˜ve included a link to the factory instructions, but Iā€™ve added some additional tips and photos covering what I learned that were not covered very clearly in the instructions :

1. You will need an 8mm socket and wrench to remove the existing OBD2 connector so it can be interconnected with the new OBD connector. A new OBD port is supplied, and while one side of the new bracket uses the old bolt , a 1/8 inch hole needs to be drilled to secure the other side of the new OBD bracket with a self tapping screw.

2. Remove the driver side A pillar trim by pulling it straight towards you. A pair of latex gloves helps with the grip. The Pilar trim is secured loosely to the frame with a short tether (10mm bolt) which optionally can be removed for better access to route the power wire. I left the tether in place and just worked around the dangling A pillar cover.

Ford Bronco Sport Installed Ford accessory dashcam VHL3Z-19G490-C IMG_4621

Ford Bronco Sport Installed Ford accessory dashcam VHL3Z-19G490-C IMG_4620

3. Tuck the power wire along the front of the pillar , away from the airbag and use some soft foam to keep it in place. Reinstall The pillar

Ford Bronco Sport Installed Ford accessory dashcam VHL3Z-19G490-C IMG_4622

4. Run the wire the side of the inside doorframe and tuck under the trim.

Ford Bronco Sport Installed Ford accessory dashcam VHL3Z-19G490-C IMG_4623

FACTORY INSTRUCTIONS AT echomaster.com
Sponsored

Last edited:

Xjeeper

Outer Banks
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport outer banks
cant remember exactly where it was located when i ran my dashcam but make sure wire isn't over the airbag

davidg4781

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
How's the quality? I bought a GoPro to video my adventures (about 20 minutes/year) and it's pretty good. Would this be close to that? Or at least good enough to share with people?

Did you consider the one that goes to the rear also?

OP
OP
Dadio

Dadio

Big Bend
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
How's the quality? I bought a GoPro to video my adventures (about 20 minutes/year) and it's pretty good. Would this be close to that? Or at least good enough to share with people?

Did you consider the one that goes to the rear also?

Hey David, the video quality is excellent and wouldnā€™t look out of place if edited into a video that included GoPro footage. I didnā€™t consider the rear camera.

o0260o

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BroncoSport
In my opinion, rear camera is a must. When I got hit, the footage made it smooth sailing getting paid by the insurance.
I wired my system to the fuse behind the glovebox. No trim removal.
Sponsored