Injector treatment recommendation at service?

kapk22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Edge, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Ru
We just had the oil changed at 17k miles and the service guy recommended treatment for the injectors. We chose not to do the treatment now and I am wondering if a bottle of sea foam would do the same as what they were going to do. Otherwise, what would you guys recommend?
Sponsored

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
It really depends on what exactly the shop offered. There's a difference between injector cleaning and induction system cleaning. Injector cleaning isn't really needed unless you are experiencing driveability problems. (BTW, I wouldn't use seafoam, I'd use Techron—it's a concentrated version of the detergent Chevron uses in its gasolines). Some believe induction system cleaning is beneficial for direct injection engines because intake valves can become contaminated. Induction system cleaning requires injection of some kind of solvent into the system ahead of the intake manifold. The solvent dissolves carbon deposits on the valves, which is then burned off during the combustion process.

Ford does not recommend induction system cleaning for its EcoBoost engines. The exhaust manifold is integral to the head to minimize the distance between exhaust valves and the turbocharger. This configuration also places the catalytic converter close to the exhaust manifold as well. Ford says debris knocked loose during induction system cleaning might make it through the combustion process and get into the turbine wheel in the turbocharger, thereby damaging it. Ford also says the solvent injected may not burn completely, making it possible that burning solvent will get into the catalytic converter causing damage.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition

PaulOinMA

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BS, '22 FE, '04 Audi TT, '66 Austin Moke
Used Techron for decades. Still have one in the garage.

Purchased a 3-pack of BG 44K Platinum after seeing it mentioned in an, I think, Fordtechmakuloco video, researching, and reading reviews. Haven't used yet.

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
If you run top tier quality fuel, the injectors will be fine. Ford doesn't recommend any chemical cleaner or additives in the induction system. Ford has told dealer service departments not to recommend this service, it is not part of the vehicles maintenance requirements.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Say whatever you will seafoam is good stuff. Kids have "college" cars and they make a high mileage formula. Also use the regular to stabilize generators and mowers and fires up first pull every time. I wouldn't suggest it for the sport based on the two well written statements😎 new toys new ways. Techron is also great, not comparing the two, I've had great success with seafoam.

OP
OP

kapk22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Edge, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Ru
It really depends on what exactly the shop offered. There's a difference between injector cleaning and induction system cleaning. Injector cleaning isn't really needed unless you are experiencing driveability problems. (BTW, I wouldn't use seafoam, I'd use Techron—it's a concentrated version of the detergent Chevron uses in its gasolines). Some believe induction system cleaning is beneficial for direct injection engines because intake valves can become contaminated. Induction system cleaning requires injection of some kind of solvent into the system ahead of the intake manifold. The solvent dissolves carbon deposits on the valves, which is then burned off during the combustion process.

Ford does not recommend induction system cleaning for its EcoBoost engines. The exhaust manifold is integral to the head to minimize the distance between exhaust valves and the turbocharger. This configuration also places the catalytic converter close to the exhaust manifold as well. Ford says debris knocked loose during induction system cleaning might make it through the combustion process and get into the turbine wheel in the turbocharger, thereby damaging it. Ford also says the solvent injected may not burn completely, making it possible that burning solvent will get into the catalytic converter causing damage.
I have a 2.0 liter in my Jeep and others have talked about the carbon build up from direct injection. Thank you for the detailed response.

seoden88

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Sport Badlands
i use two cans of seafoam every oil change in a tank of supreme gas

Idahobro

Outer Banks
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mache GT, F350
We just had the oil changed at 17k miles and the service guy recommended treatment for the injectors. We chose not to do the treatment now and I am wondering if a bottle of sea foam would do the same as what they were going to do. Otherwise, what would you guys recommend?

Wow, 17,000 miles. I'd have a very hard time not LMAO in the advisor's face if they tried to sell me something like that. Sure, if you are driving your BS in the Ukraine and getting your fuel from a 1970s era tanker truck driven by a guy named two fingers Jimmie.

NOT, if you are getting your fuel at a reputable station(s). Waste of money.

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Obviously the dealer is trying to make some extra bucks by offering or adding "recommended services" that are not necessarily needed. If the dealer won't hold to the services you request, find another dealer, chain or independent that will.
Sponsored