JohnSilver

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
The early BS had AGM battery but what's said is Ford couldn't get AGM batteries so they went with the lead acid battery. I wouldn't put past the cost of the AGM batteries. AGM's are available now.
Ah gotchya, I have a first year model but I have not checked what the battery is.
Sponsored

rocks

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX, '23 HR-V EX-L wife's
I've often thought this, but I've found no proof. Do you have something to back this claim?
Nothing but what was posted here that the early BS had AGM batteries. Why would Ford, at an extra expense, use the AGM if it wasn't needed?

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Nothing but what was posted here that the early BS had AGM batteries. Why would Ford, at an extra expense, use the AGM if it wasn't needed?
No, I get the logic, I just haven't seen any actual proof.

rocks

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX, '23 HR-V EX-L wife's

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands ordered 12/17/2021 - Arrived 3/25/22
I am one of those members that does not have a BS. I joined the group to read other owners' posts. The forums are great for identifying common trends. One member may come on and say "I have this noise..." Other members may reply that it they don't, or it isn't something they have previously heard of. Other members may suddenly start replying that they also have the noise, and have even had it checked by a dealer with/without resolution. That's the type of information that's good for both prospective buyers and current owners. I always check out the online forums for the vehicles I am shopping.

All forums will have posts with dissatisfied owners. As others have said, there is some level of catharsis that comes with being able to post with people that have similar or common experiences. Sometimes it results in simple, innovative solutions. Other times the threads go horribly wrong for one reason or another. At the end of the day, having empathy for those experiencing problems or having a less than ideal ownership experience is the best course of action. We've all been there at one point or another with a vehicle. Those posting about issues are going through some emotional phases and should be allowed to express themselves and get some support from fellow enthusiasts. When spending $35K-$40K on something that is relied upon heavily in daily life only to have some sort of failure or breakdown, it makes sense that someone will become upset and disappointed. That's a normal response to such a situation.

Admittedly, some of the posts here discussing various issues have given me pause with regards to buying a BS. Some posts have also brought back some mild PTSD that I have from my prior Ford vehicle experiences. However, the BS is still on my rapidly shrinking list of new vehicles to consider. No vehicle is without some sort of problem or recall or whatever else. That's the nature of car ownership. Some may have more than others, and the forums can help spot possible common faults [and the best solutions] that may crop up.
Well said Arcee.
Ford Bronco Sport I have come to a conclusion.... 1694717976938

The typical knee-jerk reaction to posts that mention problems is for some forum members to attack the messenger, and/or post about how wonderful their 'Canyonero' (or whatever vehicle) is.

I completely agree with those who point out that people are more likely to complain than compliment. The percentage of negative posts (or 1/2-star reviews on Amazon) is not a good indicator of overall quality and reliability -- but it often does give some insight into how the vendor, dealer and/or mfr handle legitimate problems.

Most people who complain about problems are sincere, and the issues they are having are real. The most appropriate response is to be sympathetic and try to help -- or say nothing at all.

cprcubed

Big Bend
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cyber Orange BS BB, 1997 Ford F250 HD 7.3 PSD
I got into forums years ago when I got my first Ford 7.3L Powerstroke Diesel truck (first-year 94.5). I knew nothing about them and wanted to learn about them. For the most part, I am the mechanic for my vehicles, so the forums are invaluable for this information (along with factory service manuals) along with tips and tricks from others. I also try to give back any knowledge I have gained through the process to help others along the same path. Cheers!

TexasJHerrera

Big Bend
First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
I have a 23ā€™ model with almost 13k miles already, long commutes to and from work, with no issues. I really enjoy owning my BS.

SapphireCat

Big Bend
First Name
Catie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
I have a trouble free 2023 BS Outer Banks edition. We have under 2000 miles on it to date, and bought it 5 months ago.

Again no issues so far. I like it. So does the wife. Drives great, gets good gas mileage, looks good.

However, had I joined this forum prior to its purchase and read through the majority of threads that state issues and questionable service experiences, I most likely would have looked into other vehicles to purchase.

Don't get me wrong, we have had absolutely no issues, and no complaints with the BS. Sales person was great, dealership was good. I have not had to take it in for any service yet, so I have no positive or negative opinions on that.

It just concerns me to read through this forum and see so many issues with their BS pertaining to component failures and service getting it repaired. I've been on countless forums in my past, and never saw the amount of negative issues pertaining to component failures that I'm reading here.
My BB is almost 14 months old to the day, 31,080 miles on it. I love my car, and have had no real issues with it. I had the two recalls - but I knew buying a new model car that recalls were possible and it was a risk I was okay taking because I was excited about the car. I'd rather there be recalls because that means the manufacturer is trying to solve issues they see pop up once they get a large number of vehicles out there.

My vial of touch up paint took like 4 months to get here, but I don't know what to say about that. Took that long to get the touch up paint for my mom's 2013 a while back too.

I get that some people have had some real issues. I don't know any car brand that doesn't have those pop up. But I would not use the forum to judge the general experience you'll have with the car. Forums exist to help people solve problems, not necessarily to gush about their car or service. I joined because I do add items to my vehicles (dashcams, GMRS radios, roof racks, lifts, etc) and I do a lot of the work myself. It is nice to see what others have done, how they did it, and what challenges they come across.

I hope you have many, many problem free miles ahead in your OB!

OP
OP
Bucko

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
I go by this reasoning as well. I've owned Mustangs and F150's. My current F150 has over 180K on its odometer, and runs great. It's my everyday driver.

I realize these forums consist mostly of problems, and those posters are looking for an answer, or perhaps sympathy. If I were a newbie, I'd think it would make me question my purchase decision reading through these. I'm not though, but still wonder why these same issues pop up each model year, or wonder why the dealerships still cannot get parts to finish a repair.
And now with a strike going on that affects all 3 major auto manufacturers...šŸ˜³

RodNSA

Base
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
I have a trouble free 2023 BS Outer Banks edition. We have under 2000 miles on it to date, and bought it 5 months ago.

Again no issues so far. I like it. So does the wife. Drives great, gets good gas mileage, looks good.

However, had I joined this forum prior to its purchase and read through the majority of threads that state issues and questionable service experiences, I most likely would have looked into other vehicles to purchase.

Don't get me wrong, we have had absolutely no issues, and no complaints with the BS. Sales person was great, dealership was good. I have not had to take it in for any service yet, so I have no positive or negative opinions on that.

It just concerns me to read through this forum and see so many issues with their BS pertaining to component failures and service getting it repaired. I've been on countless forums in my past, and never saw the amount of negative issues pertaining to component failures that I'm reading here.
I, too have had zero issues so I post just that. Personally, I ask for specific advice about details or upgrades and enhancements but try not to listen too much to the naysayers. Like in most things in life ... people are always quick to criticize and find faults and some join groups like this to post what they at least tell us what there experiences are. My guess ... the vast majority of BS owners are still in love and have had very little issues and many, MANY others simply aren't in groups like this. Glad you posted your great experiences ... wish everyone did.

RPYLE50

Outer Banks
First Name
Rowdy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
I agree with most folk's sentiments on this discussion thread as well. I have had ZERO issues with my Bronco Sport and actually miss driving it when I drive my rental cars for work! The SUV has exceeded my expectations as well. I remember first seeing the Bronco Sport during the middle of the pandemic and said....that is my next SUV! I ordered my BS OBX in September and had it by January. 6,000 miles later.....it is GREAT! I think it is important to note that 1) everyone has their own expectations 2) everyone's experience with their dealers and the purchasing process will be different, and 3) No car is 100% perfect for everyone. Anyways, positive vibes for everyone on this forum! I personally enjoy the conversations about modifications and seeing where people take these great little SUV's!

Barry S.

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Iā€™ve owned mine for a year at the end of this month with a little over 17,000 miles and I havenā€™t really had many issues that made me think I got the wrong car.

I know the only minor issue Iā€™m having is my CarPlay doesnā€™t want to work in the USB-C plug in sometimes. My dealership replaced it, but it still does it. They told me it isnā€™t, but I believe itā€™s a software thing either on Fordā€™s end or Appleā€™s. But itā€™s nothing serious that makes me want to get rid of it or make me think I made a bad purchase. I got the old, outdated, and reliable USB slot below it and if I need it, I use it lol. I got workarounds.

Oh and my rear brakes sometimes drone, even though I had that bulletin done to them, but itā€™s not as common as it used to be, just when they get moisture in them. Again, still doesnā€™t make me hate my car.

Also, my dealership is great! Theyā€™re very personable and very friendly. I think itā€™s because itā€™s a small town dealership that has the charm of people that live in a small town. I recommend people go there for anything either it be sales or service in my area. They treat you as a person more than a customer which I think is something a lot of these dealerships need to have. Just treat me like a person instead of $$$$.
As Jason Aldean sang in my favorite song, "Try That In A Small Town."

Reactions: MJE

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands ordered 12/17/2021 - Arrived 3/25/22
(Edited, see below)

My wife and I love our BS BL. She can't stop gushing about it (it's really hers). So, no axe to grind here.

That said, it is just 1-1/2 years old, and she doesn't drive it much so it has <5K miles on it. IOW, we may (or may not) have a different opinion 5-10 years from now.

She drove her '97 RAV4 until we got the BL in March of last year. We bought it in December 1996, so it lasted over 24 years. We still use it around our property. I'll be impressed if the BL lasts that long.

A couple thoughts:

* Most people, myself included, promote what they own (unless it is truly a POS). That's human nature. People want to feel like they made a smart purchase. We are reluctant to admit that that we spent a pile of money on something that was/is sub-par. So we tend to gloss over any defects -- and do not want to hear about them from others.

* By definition, most forum members have a positive (or at least neutral) opinion of the product that is the subject of the forum. Some are fanboys/girls. A few become so obsessed that they defend the product and mfr as if they were their children.

One example: I own a 2002 WRX. It still runs well (but has power steering issues). Anyway, almost 20years ago, I discovered that the AWD system Subaru used on the 5MT WRX is, to use a technical term, lame. On a cold day, I parked in our lane on a slight uphill slope in order to close the gate. When I went to pull forward, the rear tires spun on some ice and the car rolled backwards! In that situation it didn't matter -- I could let it roll backwards off the ice and then get some momentum. But there are plenty of situations where that would be no bueno.

I did some testing to confirm the AWD was indeed weak. Then I took it to our local Ford/Subaru dealer and they tested it. The Ford techs laughed at how pathetic it was. Then they brought in a new WRX off their lot and tested it. Same result.

Then I started a thread on NASIOC titled, "AWD = From the wheels that grip, to the wheels that slip!" That was like throwing a brick at a hornets' nest! The fanboys were incensed. No one (well, very few) forum members wanted to know the truth -- they went directly 'kill the messenger' mode, and ad hominem attacks. I was called an idiot, a moron, someone who didn't know how to drive, a liar, a plant -- on and on. All they had to do was call the dealer if they doubted me. No one did -- or if they did they did not post about it.

My point is that there is nothing wrong with posting legit problems/issues/complaints on a forum. Owners need to know about potential problems. What's better is posting the solution, how it was resolved. There's a good chance others have (or will have) the same problem.

Otherwise it's like telling your kid's school you only want to see "A" grades and praise. That might make a parent feel good, but it is not very helpful.

EDIT: The NASIOC thread title was/is, "AWD = All Wheels Disconnected?!" I used the play on the Subaru AWD slogan ("From the wheels that grip, to the wheels that slip!") in the initial post.

Last edited:

Jenma

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport, 15 Mustang GT 50 yr, 22 Corsair
My Bad Lands was ordered August 2020. It was built December 8, 2020. I picked it up January 2021. It has a lead acid battery. Zero problems to report. I have a 2022 Lincoln Corsair which does have a AGM battery.
Sponsored